Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:09 PM   #2465

Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Steering damper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurienTimmer View Post
Installed a new steering damper and retorqued the front wheels, and then did a test drive. With new shocks and steering damper and re-torqued front axle nuts, the handling is sharply improved.
What brand and where did you get the stabilizer from. My MH was awesome on the road, and I replaced all of the tires, not because of wear, but dry rot along the bead. Now it seems to wander a lot more

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2016, 11:27 PM   #2466

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bomoe1 View Post
What brand and where did you get the stabilizer from. My MH was awesome on the road, and I replaced all of the tires, not because of wear, but dry rot along the bead. Now it seems to wander a lot more
I got both the shocks and stabilizer from Amazon. They are Monroe brand and the shocks were specifically for my '94 E-350 chassis. It only had 28k miles on it, but it tended to wander and bounce after rolling over uneven pavement. The old stabilizer was definitely easy to push / pull manually when off the rig.

How's your tire pressures? Also, I found there was excessive play in the front axle nuts that I detected by grasping the wheel at the top and pulling it in and out. For the E-series chassis' there is a very specific tightening sequence that must be followed.

HTH,

Tim

Old 09-20-2016, 05:42 AM   #2467

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Hey 429 good too see ya on the forums. What ever happened to that jet boat of yours? That thing sure sounded bad (as in good bad)
Tim
Hey Tim
Last year on Labor Day I ran her a bit too hard. I guess a 10qt oil pan isn't large enough with a high volume oil pump for 15+ min at WOT. Starved #8 rod bearing for a short time which was enough to kill it. Finally made time last week to pull it apart and assess the damage. Will be pulling the one head tonight to get the piston/rod out to have it checked/resized. Should have her back together by the end of next week.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #2468

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Boy that is a drag 429CV23,
least you didn't take out the whole motor, what do you think your speed was?
My radiator went out on us last Saturday in the 64 after a road trip, we were just getting off at our exit to the S&B,
Happy to see you back, Ever get up too Minnesota we could take that boat up the St Croix River.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:04 PM   #2469

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Boy that is a drag 429CV23,
least you didn't take out the whole motor, what do you think your speed was?
My radiator went out on us last Saturday in the 64 after a road trip, we were just getting off at our exit to the S&B,
Happy to see you back, Ever get up too Minnesota we could take that boat up the St Croix River.
Tim
She was running mid-upper 50's. I need to replace the Weiand 8021 intake; it has the Cobra Jet spec ports which my heads have been ported to, but the runners have too much volume for the RPM I'm running. She should do low 60's once I replace the intake and add a place diverter for some needed trim adjustment as well as adding a sweet rooster tail!

Replacing a radiator doesn't sound like much fun to me! But, I'm getting a bit tired of wrenching stuff this year. Got my '64 Falcon ragtop roadworthy this summer as well. Did some transmission work and upgrades as well as rebuilding the column shift mechanics.

A river boating trip would be awesome!

Back on topic: I see you also have a Kar Kaddy SS. How do you like it? I just picked one up fairly cheap ($1300). I think the toe needs to be adjusted on it, but it looks to be a very simple task. I'll get that done after finishing the boat engine and the Banks Power Pack installation.
Jeff
Old 09-20-2016, 01:28 PM   #2470

Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinstone View Post
Thanks I know about the led flasher but on the clearance light's did you have to do any thins special? It seem's like were working on the same thing to our coached to make them more modern looking. I was looking into doing the exterior face lift next.
replaced the bulbs with LEDs ,one thing to remember though is unlike the incandescent 194's that can go in either way, The LEDs will only light one way. I did replace some of the sockets, Probably should've done them all.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:07 PM   #2471

Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurienTimmer View Post
I got both the shocks and stabilizer from Amazon. They are Monroe brand and the shocks were specifically for my '94 E-350 chassis. It only had 28k miles on it, but it tended to wander and bounce after rolling over uneven pavement. The old stabilizer was definitely easy to push / pull manually when off the rig.

How's your tire pressures? Also, I found there was excessive play in the front axle nuts that I detected by grasping the wheel at the top and pulling it in and out. For the E-series chassis' there is a very specific tightening sequence that must be followed.

HTH,

Tim
Tire pressures are good, I have a John Deere Chassis front end seems tight, including wheel bearings. It never had a stabilizer before and think that it could only help.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:50 AM   #2472

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Back on topic: I see you also have a Kar Kaddy SS. How do you like it? I just picked one up fairly cheap ($1300). I think the toe needs to be adjusted on it, but it looks to be a very simple task. I'll get that done after finishing the boat engine and the Banks Power Pack installation"

I really like it. just kind of hard to back it up. We had some trouble last year on the way to AZ lost a bolt and a weld down in El Paso, after pulling into a Flying J on a Sunday and a Ice storm. Finally got it fixed on a Monday. Since then it has been okay. Toes the caddie very well.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/5.../IMG_08851.JPG
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:37 PM   #2473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd.H View Post
It's always great to do something with the MH! Yesterday I changed the oil and filter in the generator and exercised it. Last week I added a sound bar to the TV. I need the sound bar because last year I took the old giant, heavy, old school tv out and replaced it with a nice 32' flatscreen, but the sound quality was very bad, so of course as any logical thinking man would do I added an upgraded sound system to it.

Last month was getting the Grand Cherokee towing set up. Purchased a towing system, brake buddy, and had the tow plates put on the CG. A real must have IMHO

I just want to mention last year I also replaced all interior lights with LED lights. LOVE IT!!!

Next, I think, is a full solar panel system with pure sign wave invertor and two additional 6V batteries. This one will be a little more expensive than the rest so I need the DW to be on board with it. If I whine loud enough and long enough it will happen before July.
LOL!!!! I do the same thing with the wife whining and before long she gives in??
Old 09-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #2474

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I changed all of my marker and clearance light to LED and changed the old sealed beam style headlights to a 4"x6' sealed beam diamond headlight housing H4 conversion kit with 10K HID kit installed on low beams. Next I need to find the taillights. They sell a led upgrade for my style on the Holiday Rambler but I will be eliminating the reverse light and adding a second taillight in its place to brighten up the rear at night and I will add a set of LED flood lights under the bumper as replacements for the reverse light. I also plan on replacing the dim amber light under the automatic stairs with a light that projects a Harley Davidson logo on the ground under the stairs. Just because it old doesn't mean it can't be cool looking rite?
Old 09-24-2016, 01:55 AM   #2475

Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_elegance View Post
I changed all of my marker and clearance light to LED and changed the old sealed beam style headlights to a 4"x6' sealed beam diamond headlight housing H4 conversion kit with 10K HID kit installed on low beams. Next I need to find the taillights. They sell a led upgrade for my style on the Holiday Rambler but I will be eliminating the reverse light and adding a second taillight in its place to brighten up the rear at night and I will add a set of LED flood lights under the bumper as replacements for the reverse light. I also plan on replacing the dim amber light under the automatic stairs with a light that projects a Harley Davidson logo on the ground under the stairs. Just because it old doesn't mean it can't be cool looking rite?
Awesome , I totally forgot about that amber step lamp...
Just because it old doesn't mean it can't be cool looking rite !!!!!!
Old 09-25-2016, 05:49 PM   #2476

Vintage RV Owners Club
what did u do to your old RV today

i installed a new 50 inch small bedroom awning., old one was ripped on the top and local dealer said was cheaper to replace whole thing rather than just the fabric. wrong. wife paid for it and when i saw the bill for $320. i flipped. last month the same dealer charged me $350 for a 18 foot? said smaller ones are not as common?
also drained the water and found the water pump. will wait for last minute to add anti freeze i case we still go out again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small awning.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	139952  
Old 09-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #2477

Ken, hi from Burien. We met at the Great Plains Rally some years ago. My MH is winterized and covered as we leave on a cruise to and around Australia.
BurienTimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #2478

Vintage RV Owners Club
Great plains rally

Tim.. yes. i havnt been to GPR for 3 yrs now.costs to much to go.we started camping again last yr.wife doesnt ride a bike anymore. my computor you sent is still working..