Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:41 AM   #2521

Winnebago Owners Club
Fantastic workmanship.

What you are doing cannot be purchased, the endless hours of prep are evident

Congratulations.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #2522

Clutch replacement

I ended up replacing my fan clutch last night. A few days ago i noticed is was not drawing much air through the radiator while I had the dog house off. It has had problems of the temp gage climbing up while sitting still. Let it idle for a good hour and, gage sits right at one quarter now.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:03 PM   #2523

Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Fan Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
I ended up replacing my fan clutch last night. A few days ago i noticed is was not drawing much air through the radiator while I had the dog house off. It has had problems of the temp gage climbing up while sitting still. Let it idle for a good hour and, gage sits right at one quarter now.
I ordered a new water pump fan and fan clutch (severe duty) Thermostat and hoses, My gauge has been of a concern to me. I am thinking about going all the way and pulling the Rad and having it Flushed and cored , Just have to have the $$ , time, and energy. Our MH's are the same year, My Dash A/C works and cools but I notice a drag on both the Charging and power. We usually use the roof AC on the generator and I feel that removing the condenser, Compressor and lines would help the flow of air and also lessen the weight.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:13 PM   #2524

Slept in my RV

What did I do to my RV ? I slept in it for the past 2 nights. Using it as the dog house! I like the peace and quiet !

Also pulled the diode out of the water heater today and cleaned off the corrosion!
Old 10-14-2016, 06:53 PM   #2525

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennj3cub View Post
What did I do to my RV ? I slept in it for the past 2 nights. Using it as the dog house! I like the peace and quiet !

Also pulled the diode out of the water heater today and cleaned off the corrosion!
Diode?
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:12 AM   #2526

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySharon View Post
Diode?
In laymen terms, the check valve that keeps the hot water from backing up into the supply line.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:59 AM   #2527

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Talking

I don't post a lot, but been here for some time.

I have a 1992 American Eagle, had it at least 5 years, we have done a lot
to it.

Last year I was all set to buy a newer one even had the check cut. Then at the last minute pulled a car fax report. Found out it had 65000 miles not 6500!! Made DH mad so we didn't buy it. I kept asking how it could have
so much wear on it for those miles, well now I know.

Then we kept discussing round and round buy a newer one or fix our old one. It started using oil, we had it checked and they couldn't see why so I kept driving it. The old girl ran like a dream, started good but last trip used 3 quarts in 450 miles, just to to much. A newer high end coach was going to cost $80k to $100k, I really wanted slides, but considering my age
70, yes I'm the wife and the traveler, I agreed that I might only use it 5 more years. We were mainly concerned what if we spent that much and it ended up with the same issues, we sure couldn't buy new for that money and we didn't want a gas unit.

We finally decided to take it in the our very reputable diesel service locally.
He did a compression check, found 2 cyclinders bad, said it was supposed to be 350 psi and was 210 on one and 310 on another. It's a sleeved engine and we could just had those 2 fixed, but DH said just go ahead and overall the whole thing. We think the K & N filter they had on it for years likely wasn't cleaned like it should have been. I tried everywhere to get a replacement and couldn't so we ended up with a new canister and paper filter, diesel place said it is better anyway, the other let more air but picked up way more dirt. Going to have new pistons, new turbo, and other things,
with Cummins parts. I really wanted a slide but its mostly my DD, our old cat and me anyway. My husband worked all his life on construction projects all over the country then 15 years commuting overseas and home every 8 weeks so I understand why he will just travel now and then, ok with me.

So anyway, they will start on it toward end of month, their techs go on church projects for a couple of weeks, fine by us. I'm really looking forward to taking off after the first of the year. Hubby said it should be like a new engine then. I also intend to have the nose repainted and around the side windows in front after we get it done. Next summer I will replace some of the valance fabric and get the 2 kitchen chairs recovered, the other upholstery is all leather and doesn't need it.

It may be a foolish decision, don't know, but I like driving it, its 38 foot and I'm used to it, so here we go! We know it won't add much value, so when we get ready to sell it, it will just be what someone is willing to pay.

But I'm excited to take off again after the first of the year, I want to be warm, so south and west I will likely go.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:10 PM   #2528

Today I removed the Suburban furnace, cleaned it all out, and replace the control board. As the furnace is an older model it required an upgrade board and adapter harness. In a nutshell the instructions that came with the harness were horrid. Took longer to second-guess than it did to do the job itself.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:51 PM   #2529

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post

to it.

Last year I was all set to buy a newer one even had the check cut. Then at the last minute pulled a car fax report. Found out it had 65000 miles not 6500!! Made DH mad so we didn't buy it. I kept asking how it could have
so much wear on it for those miles, well now I know.

Then we kept discussing round and round buy a newer one or fix our old one. It started using oil, we had it checked and they couldn't see why so I kept driving it. The old girl ran like a dream, started good but last trip used 3 quarts in 450 miles, just to to much. A newer high end coach was going to cost $80k to $100k, I really wanted slides, but considering my age
70, yes I'm the wife and the traveler, I agreed that I might only use it 5 more years. We were mainly concerned what if we spent that much and it ended up with the same issues, we sure couldn't buy new for that money and we didn't want a gas unit.

We finally decided to take it in the our very reputable diesel service locally.
He did a compression check, found 2 cyclinders bad, said it was supposed to be 350 psi and was 210 on one and 310 on another. It's a sleeved engine and we could just had those 2 fixed, but DH said just go ahead and overall the whole thing. We think the K & N filter they had on it for years likely wasn't cleaned like it should have been. I tried everywhere to get a replacement and couldn't so we ended up with a new canister and paper filter, diesel place said it is better anyway, the other let more air but picked up way more dirt. Going to have new pistons, new turbo, and other things,
with Cummins parts. I really wanted a slide but its mostly my DD, our old cat and me anyway. My husband worked all his life on construction projects all over the country then 15 years commuting overseas and home every 8 weeks so I understand why he will just travel now and then, ok with me.

So anyway, they will start on it toward end of month, their techs go on church projects for a couple of weeks, fine by us. I'm really looking forward to taking off after the first of the year. Hubby said it should be like a new engine then. I also intend to have the nose repainted and around the side windows in front after we get it done. Next summer I will replace some of the valance fabric and get the 2 kitchen chairs recovered, the other upholstery is all leather and doesn't need it.

It may be a foolish decision, don't know, but I like driving it, its 38 foot and I'm used to it, so here we go! We know it won't add much value, so when we get ready to sell it, it will just be what someone is willing to pay.

But I'm excited to take off again after the first of the year, I want to be warm, so south and west I will likely go.
Good decision, you sure couldn't upgrade for what you are spending and have as nice a coach as you have now.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:56 AM   #2530

Location: 2004 Country Coach Sienna, 4 slides. Full timer and drifting continually
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post

to it.
I like that your keeping it, and keeping it up. I love that coach.

How many miles on it?
Old 10-17-2016, 07:20 AM   #2531

Radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bomoe1 View Post
I ordered a new water pump fan and fan clutch (severe duty) Thermostat and hoses, My gauge has been of a concern to me. I am thinking about going all the way and pulling the Rad and having it Flushed and cored , Just have to have the $$ , time, and energy. Our MH's are the same year, My Dash A/C works and cools but I notice a drag on both the Charging and power. We usually use the roof AC on the generator and I feel that removing the condenser, Compressor and lines would help the flow of air and also lessen the weight.
I am pulling the radiator here soon, have the water pump. I will be replacing all the hoses since I don't know how old they are. I too run the roof a/c since my dash air is not functioning. I have heard a recore could cost 600 dollars, I hate to spend that but, it could pay off. Not sure if I will pull the dash air components to leave them off or re-install them to work on it again later.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:27 PM   #2532

New chassis battery. Load tested the existing battery and it didn't fare well. The new one fit inside the "20% off" bag much to the dismay of the NAPA counter person...
Old 10-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #2533

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We aren't sure of the mileage, said about 112k when we got it but odometer wasn't working. Got a new one from Fleetwood still won't work. I just use my GPS and started out with that mileage, now its about 140k, but who knows? Also genny hours gone. Couple of years back DH had
hour meters put on so we are going from there to keep track.
The gauges that don't work are oil pressure for genny and hour meter,
odometer and now speedometer, just use GPS.

I'm also removing all valances, blinds, and front curtain, going to get recovered and new. DH is going to paint nose and window trim in front if we can find matching paint, have codes and they tell me its Sherwin Williams.

It has new tires, Michelins about 3 years old now. Took to Spartan and
had it gone over, new air bags, dryer, brake drums, 4 corner alignment,
rod bushings, ride height adjusted, I don't know what all to the tune of about $6k.

When we got it was leaking when I washed it, it must have been under cover all the years it set, we estimate 5, so I removed all the skylights, they were fragile, so had them special ordered, new AC's everything up top except the fridge vent. We then got the liquid roof and recoated it all with that, then replaced everything. Fantastic fan even sent me new covers for free. Then I put new vent covers over them. It was under cover in Texas
and we had a motorhome garage built before we brought it to Indiana so
its been inside for sure the 5 years we have had it.

New fridge and microwave, new w/d, 4 new lights in bedroom, 2 new TV's, added satellite dome. Awnings are all good, but new spring in big one, also
need to add new ends on straps to pull down. New water heater guts, so upgraded to electronic, one new furnace. Had propane tank emptied, pressure tested and new type filling unit put on, no one could figure the old one out. Have Sirius radio, I think its the original carpet, had it cleaned looks great.

Going to try cleaning ceiling with a green machine I bought. I know it won't be worth much when we finally sell it, but at least we will be able to.

New alternator one trip, only motor breakdown I've had.

I didn't do much on cosmetics because we weren't sure we would keep it.
This one has a bathtub which my DD loves, don't see hardly any with that feature so another reason to keep it. She is mentally challenged and loves to travel and go with me. One of the reasons dad keeps it on the road. He travelled so much not really interested so it works for us. My toad is a 2013 Cadillac SRX.

We brought it home for a week or so to winterize before they start on the overhaul.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:46 PM   #2534

I installed a small inverter in my 5er. We seem to be leaning more and more towards primitive campgrounds, and now I can power through some needs without running the generator..