Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:24 PM   #2535

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Since we decided to get the engine of our 92 Eagle overhauled, I decided to also freshen the interior. Tom and I took down all the blinds, valances, and head board. Took the kitchen chairs out too, everything will be recovered and blinds replaced. The aluminum ones in the front had some doggy in the past chew
on the bottom 4 or 5 slats.

Well, I priced day/night blinds and about had a heart attack. 2 of them locally were $450 Each, holy smokes. Even online 2 were $300 and I just don't want to spend that much. I started researching on can I wash them, figured if it doesn't work I will put venetian blinds back there. Came in, filled our regular tub with water and 2 cups of oxyclean, its a bit longer but not 59 inches, our oval tub isn't either.. Amazing 25 year old original blinds that are not rotten or anything are washing beautifully. It said on the site spray them with starch refold and they will be good. But I don't need to do that, these are not losing their folds. We will need to make sure they are pulled up so they can dry and that the folks are in line. These are the originals as they say made in 1991. I think I just saved a ton of money. The aluminum ones in the steel color won't be cheap but I saved enough on these to buy them I'm sure. Now to see if I can make the front curtains, have a local shop I will get to reupholster the kitchen chairs, the others are leather and still in good condition. When they say the old ones
were quality I guess they weren't lying.

My husband is putting a new pipe on the exhaust of the generator, it broke loose, just old, so he fixed that. The brackets had come loose so let it hang
I imagine and then broke, so new brackets and pipe. I hit some really rough roads going to Canada and back.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #2536

Thumbs up

Well, in thee process of installing Banks power pack, new master cylinder, new front brake hoses,speed bleeders,deeper transmission pan, transmission temp. gauge, cap, rotor. Well as I was looking around to see if anything else needed done before I installed master cylinder, I found wire harness hiding behind upper shock mount......it had gotten against exhaust manifold and melted alot of the wires. I hadn't done anything to generator yet cept to try to start it. It would crank and pop but not run. Now I know why. In process of replacing about 18" of wire. 20 individual wires to be exact. After brakes, gonna change oil and filter, grease, transmission fluid, filter and pan.Lots to do, but this is the best way to get to know tthe ole girl, I suppose. I figure show her a little love now and she won't let me down out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:25 PM   #2537

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
We aren't sure of the mileage, said about 112k when we got it but odometer wasn't working. Got a new one from Fleetwood still won't work. I just use my GPS and started out with that mileage, now its about 140k, but who knows? Also genny hours gone. Couple of years back DH had
hour meters put on so we are going from there to keep track.
The gauges that don't work are oil pressure for genny and hour meter,
odometer and now speedometer, just use GPS.

I'm also removing all valances, blinds, and front curtain, going to get recovered and new. DH is going to paint nose and window trim in front if we can find matching paint, have codes and they tell me its Sherwin Williams.

It has new tires, Michelins about 3 years old now. Took to Spartan and
had it gone over, new air bags, dryer, brake drums, 4 corner alignment,
rod bushings, ride height adjusted, I don't know what all to the tune of about $6k.

When we got it was leaking when I washed it, it must have been under cover all the years it set, we estimate 5, so I removed all the skylights, they were fragile, so had them special ordered, new AC's everything up top except the fridge vent. We then got the liquid roof and recoated it all with that, then replaced everything. Fantastic fan even sent me new covers for free. Then I put new vent covers over them. It was under cover in Texas
and we had a motorhome garage built before we brought it to Indiana so
its been inside for sure the 5 years we have had it.

New fridge and microwave, new w/d, 4 new lights in bedroom, 2 new TV's, added satellite dome. Awnings are all good, but new spring in big one, also
need to add new ends on straps to pull down. New water heater guts, so upgraded to electronic, one new furnace. Had propane tank emptied, pressure tested and new type filling unit put on, no one could figure the old one out. Have Sirius radio, I think its the original carpet, had it cleaned looks great.

Going to try cleaning ceiling with a green machine I bought. I know it won't be worth much when we finally sell it, but at least we will be able to.

New alternator one trip, only motor breakdown I've had.

I didn't do much on cosmetics because we weren't sure we would keep it.
This one has a bathtub which my DD loves, don't see hardly any with that feature so another reason to keep it. She is mentally challenged and loves to travel and go with me. One of the reasons dad keeps it on the road. He travelled so much not really interested so it works for us. My toad is a 2013 Cadillac SRX.

We brought it home for a week or so to winterize before they start on the overhaul.
"I'm also removing all valances, blinds, and front curtain, going to get recovered and new. DH is going to paint nose and window trim in front if we can find matching paint, have codes and they tell me its Sherwin Williams."

Good luck with Sherwin Williams that's who I was going to go with and checked all the way up to the Automotive Paint Store and they don't do that any more or so she told me. Spray can's. I had the codes also but were too old to be valid.
I found that the NAPA store by me does it and he did a wonderful job matching the colors on my 82 Pace Arrow.
2 spray cans was 45.00 bucks.
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160901_195201.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	141932   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160901_195229.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	141933  

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:21 PM   #2538

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I called Fleetwood and they said Sherwin Williams, called them she said some of the automotive paint stores maybe at Indianapolis, I figured as much. DH said we will likely have to take it somewhere and see if they
can match the paint.

I wanted to go to a paint shop, figure they can match it. Oh Fleetwood also said no new graphics. Told hubby if we have to paint over the one
get it airbrushed.

I drove it in the garage and he had long screw deals sticking out for ladders on the end, I got to close and the end of the holder popped through and made a round hole through the fiberglass on the decal, sigh. No I did not hit the wall, yes I know I got really close. It's about a half inch round.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:05 AM   #2539

updating blinds

Pat,Just wanted to let you know I had very good results spray painting metal blinds. My size blinds were no longer made. I just used spray paint from Walmart. My blinds were from 1990 and some of the coating came off when I washed them. If you need curtains made you might be able to find someone who sews/advertises at JoAnn Fabrics or some place like that. The older rigs are worth restoring.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:34 AM   #2540

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Someone previously must have had an ankle biter, the bottom 3 or 4 blinds have tooth prints in them, I just kept them up some except at night so painting won't help much. LOL!

I sew, can make bedspreads, drapes, clothes etc, but it takes a pretty heavy machine to sew the drape pleats at the top. I likely will end up doing those if I can find suitable fabric, I have upholstered before but same thing really need a specialty machine. I have a serger, older Kenmore, a newer quilting type machine with walking foot, and a comfort stitch but no upholstery one. I still may be able to do it. We have an upholstery shop in town and might do all but the top pleats and see if he would sew them for me, for a fee of course.

I'm still so happy about being able to wash those day/night blinds, saved me a small fortune. However, I'm sure it will get used elsewhere.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:47 AM   #2541

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I ordered the blinds for the motorhome and the 2 night/days are washed and now done, $200 for those, not bad considering they have to make them.

Looking at fabric for the kitchen chairs, valances, and bedroom valances and headboard. The one I loved has just a few yards so that won't do. I've looked at hundreds of samples on line and none grab me. I know I will have to live with what I choose from now on yet I'm not paying $30 a yard for any of it. Yikes! May go to Joanns at Terre Haute.

Also need drapery fabric 192 inches plus wide.

Bought black satin paint. Going to paint the little vents in the grill for the back radiator, they have chipped paint.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:01 AM   #2542

Went to SAM's and purchased 10 gallons of Shellrotella day before yesterday. Last night ordered all the filters for a major engine service, fuel and oil.

Once the filters come I have a good days work to get that all done.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:25 AM   #2543

Location: 2004 Country Coach Sienna, 4 slides. Full timer and drifting continually
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
...Amazing 25 year old original blinds that are not rotten or anything are washing beautifully. It said on the site spray them with starch refold and they will be good. But I don't need to do that, these are not losing their folds. We will need to make sure they are pulled up so they can dry and that the folks are in line...
Just to confirm, it's better to close the shades and allow to dry while the slates are squeezed together.

Not fully open to allow more air on the shades?
Old 10-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #2544

Custom Draperies?

I used to live in New Hampshire, and now I live in Georgia, and even though we are distant acquaintances I still want to shill for her business.

Located in beautiful, remote Landaff, NH is a drapery house called the Curt 'n Rod owned by Bernie, don't say Bernadette Procnik. Bernie is an ex-pat Englishman (woman) with a cadre of home sewers to call upon and can make pretty much anything to order.

Home

But then again, my skill set transfers to sewing so I just make my own.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:39 AM   #2545

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Yep I squeezed the blinds together, mine have the folds ironed in or
something so didn't lose them. 2 days later kind of damp at the bottom, had then sitting upright in bathtub. Took them and loosened them a bit
and sat a fan in front of them, it finished drying them and I tied them
back so they don't sag.

I'm not putting any of this back in till we get the engine done and back no
sense in getting all this dirty plus being in their way in the bedroom.

I'm going to the city today and see what I can find for fabric, I looked at
the computer till my eyes can't see colors on there anymore. I imagine I
will end up making my own too, can sew it all and can the folds at the top
if the fabric isn't to thick. But I will work it out, not paying a ton for the curtains either.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #2546

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySharon View Post
Diode?
Probably the anode.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #2547

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My '97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 is on a '96 chassis so technically I have one foot in the grave. My gasser came with the Banks Power Pack installed and has 72,000 on the odometer over half of which my Mrs and I have put on her. My Gen Set is functioning fine and has a good deal of life let in it. All gauges, lights and switches work. I did have to replace the windshield last year due to gravel being thrown into it by passing oil trucks in NM and then violent winds literally ripped the awning off of our MH while doing 65 on the interstate in TX. we had to use gorilla tape to hold it to the side of the MH until we hit a Camping World where they removed it. I have since installed a power awning (a great move by the way). My B&W backup camera went south on us a month ago so I ha a wireles Bluetooth color monitor installed. not cheap, but well worth the money. My Toad in living color with sound! who would have thought. I have to repair the power mirror on the passenger side. That may be easier said than done. The fake wood flooring in the kitchen/dining room area needs to replaced due to wear. We want to put wood flooring in place of it. All of the interior trim is oak and in very good condition so we'll probably go with an oak floor.We had to have our levelers serviced last week and the batteries replaced both house and main. Before our upcoming trip south, in a matter of a few weeks I need to have the toilet replaced. It won't be cheap and we're open to suggestions for a replacement. It's a Thedford (SP?) marine type and it isn't sealing properly. I've replaced the front and rear TVs with flat screens. The Flexsteel inboard armrest came apart. I had no clue as to how to repair it. After paying our local tech to do so I'm glad I didn't attempt it. What a pain in the tail. So far so good. Almost forgot, I had to replace all the tires, shocks and rebuild the brakes. Talk about sticker shock. Icon shocks back to the tag axel, it required the use of Bilstein shocks. I am going to insulate the engine access hatch for heat and sound in the next week or so. I also have to install The wallet is in need of replentishment. Wish me luck.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #2548

Replaced the dead 12 volt fan above the dash. It helps to circulate the heat and AC from the dash unit while we drive. I also suspect it will help keep the fog off the inside of the windshield. Chuck

chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote