Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2016, 07:39 AM   #2661

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Lloyd,
Nice job on the steps, it looks very good. I broke down and bought a regular Dish on a tripod. I like the roof mounted one better, but like you, am not going to spend that much on it.
PatStab,
While you see the bubbles, nobody else will. Plus you did a better job than what would have come out of the factory. You can be very proud of the work that you have done. It looks GREAT.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2016, 09:37 AM   #2662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Lloyd,
Nice job on the steps, it looks very good. I broke down and bought a regular Dish on a tripod. I like the roof mounted one better, but like you, am not going to spend that much on it.
PatStab,
While you see the bubbles, nobody else will. Plus you did a better job than what would have come out of the factory. You can be very proud of the work that you have done. It looks GREAT.
Frank
Sometimes you read the posts and want to say something complimentary and then you realize, all you have to do is quote Frank.

I love seeing others do what I would like to do but can't.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:53 AM   #2663

Winnebago Owners Club
Geez Pat, I get tired just reading about what you've done! Nice work (and lots of it).

Lloyd, the stairs look great. We replaced carpet and linoleum with laminate, had much the same issue on our stairs (not square). It all worked out though.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:01 PM   #2664

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
You guys are going to get tired of seeing what I'm doing. I had to get Tom to start helping today to put things back. We ran out of propane, inside gauge was stuck I guess so he ran up and filled it up before it got cold in there.

Today he got the back right blind and valance up, what a job, it was a real job to take those out believe me and just as hard to put back.

Then I papered the one side of the kitchen and around the entry door today. Put up the emblem over the door.

I started putting a stick on tile above the stove, I don't know about it now, I'm not sure its awfully dark, it will pick up all the colors though, I also bought a white, black, and silver and now think it might have been better. I suppose I can pull it off but I just can't decide, need to wallpaper above it too.

There is one place above the other bedroom window I am working on, it had leaked when we bought it and we stopped it, I never did anything with it. The thin layer of veneer on the top of the plywood was loose and warped, I slit it in sections and have taken contact cement and glued the layer in several places, I still have the top right to do, then after setting I rolled it with a laminate roller. I told Tom what I should have done is just took the paper and the thin layer of veneer off on that area and glued a new piece on, didn't know if it was real bad under there and it wasn't and never thought about it till today. I need to trim the edges of the wallpaper, it had a trim over it. I'm going to take wood filler and even it out where the gap is. If it doesn't look real smooth, I will either get mirrors cut for above each window or mount something decorative!! No one will ever know. LOL! I don't think its in to bad a shape honestly to be 25 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1473.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	147139   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1474.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	147140  

Name:	IMG_1476.jpg
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	147141   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1478.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	147142  

Name:	IMG_1477.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	147145  
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:21 PM   #2665

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just a suggestion PatStab, take out that window and reseal it with butyl tape if you already haven't. Cut away all the bad wood and replace it. You'll be glad you did. The tile is good, looks great. Once it's finished it won't look dark.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #2666

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's always nice to see remodeling bring back a older RV to life. We never get tired of seeing everything, especially the finished product. Many of us have been there done that!
How about some outside pics? I have a 2000 Holiday Rambler, I LOVE these older RVs
Old 12-20-2016, 06:31 PM   #2667

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here's one of mine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1482283863057.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	147147  
Old 12-20-2016, 06:41 PM   #2668

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
Thank you for the kind words, they are appreciated.
Pat Stab,
Looking better every pic that you show, before you know it, you will be done.
Frank `
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:05 PM   #2669

Remodeling

Pat Stab, Love all the pictures. You seem like me,I want everything perfect.I can appreciate all your hard work. We did extensive restoration on our water damaged 1990 HiLo. Love the colors in you back splash tile. We also took out all our windows and resealed with butyl tape. It has been a number of years and we are High and dry,pun intended. You tube has a tutorial on window removal and replacement. It can be a do it your self job. DD works at HD. One day I took a look in the tile isle for back material for my house. Everything was black and white or grey colors. Where did you get your back splash material? Loyd,Great job on your stairs. Made with love and certainly better than a store installer would do. Take care Ann
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:02 PM   #2670

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Would you believe I got that stuff at Walmart!! It was 4 tiles for $19.97, still cheaper then Lowes and I liked theirs better. I need to buy at least 2 or 3 more packages, that's as high as I'm running it up, will wallpaper from there up. I'm still very unsure about the color, but it does have the teal from the valances and things and the black from the stove and fridge plus microwave but probably something light would have made it look bigger.

We have had a lot of travel trailers, as Tom would buy one and use it for a job he was on and we would generally clean them up and sell them afterward, we never lost money on them, as he saved a bundle living in them, sometimes on the project. He would save money on his per diem, that's my Tom. And I have taken all the windows out and resealed them with butyl before and Tom has rebuilt walls. We may do that one but if I do will wait till summer, I don't want to start it now. I couldn't handle one that big alone. I used to do a lot more, but I am getting old. LOL! Tom did all the coating of the roof when we bought this, he scrubbed, primed, and coated, was really good stuff has been almost 5 years. He took out the AC's. I took off all the old rotten skylights and ordered or had new made. Everything up there is new except for the frig vent and it was still good. We had the AC's installed, I put on all the skylights and new vents etc and sealed them, it took me awhile. In fact after all the work I got tennis elbow for some time. I had the satellite dome put on but didn't buy the HD, was just to much money nor the in motion, we don't need that. They had gunk around the skylights till we thought the roof was a disaster, I found it took a heat gun to get the stuff off and it was just the gunk all bunched up, we thought the rubber roof was. Tom does mechanical and electrical and carpentry, I try to do as much as I can to help. He has retired and we have fixed up or remodeled 3 rentals this year so really been busy. I got down in my back for a couple months and had to back off but am doing fine now. They thought I had a compression fracture, it turns out the osteoarthritis is getting worse and I have degenerative disk disease, I've known that for years. L4 and L5 are losing the cushion in between and the rest of the disks are drying out. The ortho surgeon said eventually when the pain gets to bad they will have to be fused. But he said it was ok to go back to the chiropractor, they have kept me going for over 25 years. The back issues are caused by very bad flat, and I mean flat feet, which has caused all kinds of mechanical issues with my back. But I am not a quitter, the new chiro I have is great, he uses a more gentle correction and I am like new again. DD and I also get massages every few weeks. The physical work keeps me going, if I just sat down I would be done for. Anyway a long saga of why I try to keep being active. Plus hubby and I enjoy this stuff, he would rather work on it then use it, lucky me!!
DD and I hope to head west in January so trying to get it done.

Here is a pic of it, our project this summer is repainting the nose. I will paint all the little vents on the radiator cover and did all the bay handles last year, taped and masked everything. There are some other areas to touch up if we can get the matching paint, Sherwin Williams doesn't have it anymore, but we will get it. I've posted pictures before, but here it is again, the front definitely needs painted, lots of bugs through the years, we also intend to put new stripes on it. The paint on the side windows is chipping off and the middle needs painted it was black and I painted it black thinking it should be and its should be blue! Anyway that's for warm weather, that is my toad.

New tires 2 years ago, Michelins, all gone over underneath at Spartan, new brakes, drums, air whatever else they needed to do, shocks, air bags, etc. Has a tru steer, put in a chip deal for a battery monitor that desulfates and stuff, new batteries a few years back and on and on just like all of you do. These things are money pits.

Well I wrote a book, later all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1095.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	147163   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1092.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	147164  

PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:20 PM   #2671

Remodeling

Wow!Walmart,I usually end up in Walmart several times a week. Was in there yesterday and it was a Zoo with all the christmas shoppers. I will be getting my Knne replaced Feb.13 2017.Blew my Nov. surgery date as my Dr. wouldn't listen to me and I had to take two different antibiotics for an infection. I also have osteoarthritis and numerous herniated discs in my back and neck. Some as a result of working as a LPN for seventeen years. I also had a back compression fracture that they found when I had a work up for cancer. I an a four time cancer survivor. I also try to keep busy. Sometimes i work for a few hrs and then have to sit down for a while. I'm a fighter,had to fight to get SSD. Today is my DD 28th birthday and tomorrow is my DH birthday. Mine was Dec.13th. The last thing I wanted was a child born in Dec!! She is higher functioning with Autism. She is a greeter at HD and sometimes a cashier. She has been there for three years. Take care Ann
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:06 AM   #2672

Winnebago Owners Club
Pat - I like the tile the way it is. Perhaps a bit dark but it does suit the area. I really like the look of the new glass tiles. That could be an option if you could find something with your colors in it. Our coach has sort of a cross over. Dark tiles with quite a few glass tiles interspersed. Keeps the color scheme but has enough reflective to make it light. We also have a lot of lights under the kitchen cabinet so the area is very light. Is there room above the stove to either side of the range hood to install a couple extra lights. Cannot have too much light above the stove and counter top IMO.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:14 AM   #2673

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well yesterday I got the generator running, filled in the hole were the 14" Tv. was so I can install a 32" flat screen Fixed a light that was bothering the wife. Today I plain on polishing some of it
Snufy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:05 PM   #2674

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Well I just lost what I wrote, so some of it back.

Here are some pics of the kitchen tonight. I had blinds made the first one I put up, they are cordless and neat. You pull a bit and they open, pull a bit again and they close, I LOVE them, ordered them online and was afraid I didn't follow the directions right, but apparently I did.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1479.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	147228   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1480.jpg
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	147229  

Name:	IMG_1481.jpg