Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #2759

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
PatStab,
You have done a fantastic job on your update. You can be very proud of the job you have done. I hope that you have a wonderful trip and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #2760

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks Frank, I'm pretty pleased, I know we saved thousands by DIY. Dear old Tom got up early this morning and drove it down to almost Evansville and back so he now had 800 miles on it. He changed the oil so I don't have to do that, said it ran really good. He had the block heater on last night so I didn't even hear him start it outside our bedroom.

He also topped off the diesel and propane at about 4 degrees this morning, I haven't even been outside. He was going to change genny oil, but only has 50 hours so decided not too.

I can't leave till Tuesday and its supposed to be raining so may not get far. I have meds to be filled and you know they won't fill them to many days ahead so had to wait one more, what a pain. But he said now it should be no problem for him to flush the lines and fill my fresh water tank, we weren't going to till I got further south so that's a plus. DD can hardly wait.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:00 AM   #2761

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Pat Stab,
You are welcome, you deserve all the praise. Be careful on your trip and watch the weather, you don't want to be driving on slick roads. Then most of all, have a good time and enjoy your time with your daughter.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:10 AM   #2762

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
Thanks Frank, I'm pretty pleased, I know we saved thousands by DIY. Dear old Tom got up early this morning and drove it down to almost Evansville and back so he now had 800 miles on it. He changed the oil so I don't have to do that, said it ran really good. He had the block heater on last night so I didn't even hear him start it outside our bedroom.

He also topped off the diesel and propane at about 4 degrees this morning, I haven't even been outside. He was going to change genny oil, but only has 50 hours so decided not too.

I can't leave till Tuesday and its supposed to be raining so may not get far. I have meds to be filled and you know they won't fill them to many days ahead so had to wait one more, what a pain. But he said now it should be no problem for him to flush the lines and fill my fresh water tank, we weren't going to till I got further south so that's a plus. DD can hardly wait.
Isn't Tom going with you?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:13 PM   #2763

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
No, he traveled for 15 years all over the world. 8 weeks gone, 3 weeks home, so Sue Anne and I have made this trip a few times and to Florida a LOT of times. He just wants to be home, he is tired of living out of a suitcase. Prior to that he worked all over the eastern states and Texas and lived in travel trailers, he has never really been able to enjoy the homes we had. That's why I insisted he got things he wanted like his big garages, toys, etc before he retired, he earned them. Tom cooking our Thanksgiving turkey and in his old dump truck.

He just retired in Dec of 2015. He does not want to go and stay. We have several trips planned this summer with him. To W Virginia to visit his friends, to Branson, to the Grand Ole Opry. He wants to just go on short trips. I think once he finishes these 2 rentals he may go more, but that is to be seen.

That is why he had the motor overhauled and all the work we have had done so breakdowns will be less likely. Of course there will always be something with one so old, but its been gone over from bottom to top, so good as we can get it for now. Of course I have Coach Net too.

I am very fortunate that I have someone who likes to maintain the old gal and is willing for me to do what I like as he does also. (But I'm hoping over time he goes more.) He did go with us to Minnesota on a trip to the mall of the Americas this fall, he enjoyed that. That was why I was thinking one with slides would be more comfortable for the 3 of us, but we weighed the cost over how many more times we would use it at our age and economics won. I've driven the 3 I've had from 25000 to 30000 miles.
Kitty will go with us, big dog will stay with Tom. He is a good husband, we have been married 49 years in March
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1129.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	148606   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1249.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	148607  

Old 01-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #2764

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Wink

Here are 2 pictures of the finished living area.

Tom reinforced the bar front and back with a steel bar and
the back is bolted into the steel frame of the motorhome, so
we think it will stay there!

We are leaving the plastic down till I am loaded as the carpets
were cleaned and we want them to stay for awhile. Yes the
plastic looks awful imagine all that on the carpets!

I have 2 bull dog fasteners to put on the water heater door
inside, they have broken, just got them from Dyers RV in
the mail.

There is also a picture of myself and DD attached, I'm pretty
vintage too!!

And yes Tom and I are an odd couple.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0647.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	148614   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0648.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	148615  

Name:	IMG_0646.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	148616  
Old 01-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #2765

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, he sure does care to make sure everything is right for you. With his previous jobs, he just wants to enjoy his home and workshop in retirement. Being comfortable with each other is the most important thing.
The RV looks great!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:03 PM   #2766

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Part of it is our DD is mentally challenged and she LOVES traveling in the motorhome, plus its the best way to travel with her. I think we both enjoy pleasing her and this certainly does.

But of course, when I got the first old one, he figured I would get tired quick, we fixed it and sold it. Then I got a 2006, it was nice we all went places, had a couple of slides 29 ft, but blew everywhere, no matter what he did it would get blown by wind and semis, he added track bars and all the other stuff. Think he figured by then I was done. But I got the bug, so he said ok, this one may be old and will be a project but it will be solid and the tale has continued. The bug bit me much harder then him, but it works for all of us. Besides after so much alone time, we both are still in the process of learning to live with each other full time after so many years. It's a process. LOL!

We are about ready to roll, things to load, etc tomorrow. Thank you all for watching our work in process.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:42 PM   #2767

Resealed Cab Roof Lights and New Bulbs

Took one apart to replace a burned out bulb and discovered a perished weatherstrip and condensation inside.All 5 looked the same inside and all got the same treatment. So it was time to install a new water seal inside and remove the old caulk and use a new 30 yr exterior almond caulk. Now all 5 cab roof lights work and look great. they should be good for another 25 yrs. I also changed the oil and filter and air filter on my 7.5kw KDK Onan diesel generator with 373 hrs on it. i will service the engine next week once all my filters have arrived.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG936.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	148736   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG938.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	148737  

Name:	IMG937.jpg
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	148738   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG940.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	148739  

Name:	IMG922.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	148740   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG942.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	148741  

Old 01-09-2017, 09:50 PM   #2768

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
You have a drivers side door, how handy that would be.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:36 PM   #2769

Quote:
It's pretty handy to fall out of if you have a bad back , a trick knee and a loose grip
Old 01-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #2770

Quote:
What I like about the side door is for the times the entrance door is accidentally locked.

The power window in the door is stuck up but the previous owner assured me that it wasn't the motor, just the track needs to be adjusted, something else on the list.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:05 PM   #2771

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We ended up having to buy the whole mechanisms in both our windows as they couldn't be repaired.

The hardest part was one screw Tom couldn't get to, he took the seats out, etc and finally had to cut the one way under there to get the old one out. Fleetwood had
them, but sure cherished those 2 units. LOL! We also bought the felt deal that lined the windows but found we didn't need it after all.

I love the new blinds I got, the old ones rattled and clanged so I had to pull them up when driving because noises like that bug me. I was concerned these cordless would shake down, they do not and they do not rattle, a win, win.

We have new clearance lights for the back of our motorhome, hubby fixed the front ones but he didn't like the way they fit so hasn't put the back ones on yet.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #2772

Quote:
We ended up having to buy the whole mechanisms in both our windows as they couldn't be repaired.

The hardest part was one screw Tom couldn't get to, he took the seats out, etc and finally had to cut the one way under there to get the old one out. Fleetwood had
them, but sure cherished those 2 units. LOL! We also bought the felt deal that lined the windows but found we didn't need it after all.

I love the new blinds I got, the old ones rattled and clanged so I had to pull them up when driving because noises like that bug me. I was concerned these cordless would shake down, they do not and they do not rattle, a win, win.

We have new clearance lights for the back of our motorhome, hubby fixed the front ones but he didn't like the way they fit so hasn't put the back ones on yet.
My window motor works , its the drive cable thing that the motor engages, it lowers the window fine but won't work going up ,heres some pics of it,, anyone know where i might get one. Its the brass looking tube with the big bend in it. The plastic tube to the right of the motor is where that worm drive cable goes when the window is in the up position. I have never seen anything like it. Can anyone help me in identifying the part and its number , Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG931.jpg
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	149087   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG933.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	149088  

Name:	IMG930.jpg