Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #15

Gotta replace alternator on mine this weekend...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
1984 Fleetwoood Southwind

Installed a new LH exhaust manifold on a 454. Wow! The heat is awful. Chased the threads with a tap, installed new bolts and torqued to 20 ft lb. Got to Install the fire wall that gives you access to the spark plugs. Got to drill out some broken bolts and replace them all. Who ever added after market equipment ran the wires through the firewall and have to redo all of that.
Rodney In TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Mounted 4 deep cycle 6 volt Deka batteries under the rear bed.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney In TX View Post
Installed a new LH exhaust manifold on a 454. Wow! The heat is awful. Chased the threads with a tap, installed new bolts and torqued to 20 ft lb. Got to Install the fire wall that gives you access to the spark plugs. Got to drill out some broken bolts and replace them all. Who ever added after market equipment ran the wires through the firewall and have to redo all of that.
Wow, that sounds like an aggravation. I hate messing with exhaust manifolds. My right side (454) is ticking so I know I've got a manifold gasket going. You can't do that job without breaking studs. Any suggestions?
falconbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #19

removed, replaced, revamped

Over the past several weeks I've made numerous changes to my MH. Yesterday I removed the old Dometic fridge and replaced with an Avanti electric 7.5 cu ft. Just need to add some trim and it's done.

I removed the in-dash tv and am replacing with a storage cabinet with an outside rack on the door for cell phones and pocket clutter and holes for charger wires and all the tv cables to pull thru and connect to the new flat screen.

I removed the old icemaker that the previous owner had gutted and used for a food freezer and replaced with a cabinet with sliding tray to hold my new smaller, more efficient icemaker.

Filled the house batteries with water.

Lastly, I mounted the membership plates from FMCA, and the decals for Passport America and Good Sam Club. All thats left to do is clean up and remove all my tools.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I am going to fill my water tank up, need to wash the outside. Have to run it and get it warm so I can check the transmission fluid. Need to check the air in the tires. Added a bit of 50 50 antifreeze mix to the overflow containers.

Taking off to Galveston for a week tomorrow.

I have the FMCA plates too, think I will just put one on the dash.

I'm going to look into a TPMS, as the durn tires are so hard to check.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
My two cents worth

I didn't do it myself, Gads you don't want me touching anything important, but had the rear non-working AC removed and a Maxair Vent installed and it is working well.
I vacuumed the cockpit rug the only rug in the rig and got most of the pet fur off it, I may shampoo it later. I cleaned the side windows with window cleaner.

This week I have a list of stuff to get for the rig at camping world; new sewer hose, new table for the lounge maybe some barrel chairs for the lounge area from a second hand store. If I get all that done I'll be a happy camper
Old 08-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am taking mine to Bristol and I am going to sit next to it eating and drinking until race time. Then I will bring it back home.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I washed it, including the roof today, that's a job, not the sides but getting on the roof.

I have the genny running for awhile with an AC on to exercise it. We will probably take off about 10 or 11 tomorrow, just going to Galveston, only about 90 miles away. But I'm spoiled not sleeping in hotels anymore, I can hardly sleep in those places anymore, never even thought of it before.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #24

Returned form a nice w/e boondocking in the Tonto Forest of AZ. Had to use my spare fuel filter, she was buckin' and snortin'

The Atwood WH is now rarely igniting so instead of pouring money into a 25 y/o unit I ordered a manual light model online from PPL for a very good price.

The Thetford toilet vac break started leaking so I fixed that thinking that was my water leak but found a leaky T under the stove and in a very tight area. A new T and all sealed up...NO leaks...Today
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbro View Post
Wow, that sounds like an aggravation. I hate messing with exhaust manifolds. My right side (454) is ticking so I know I've got a manifold gasket going. You can't do that job without breaking studs. Any suggestions?

Take your time!!!!! Repeat!!!! Take your time. Taking the manifold off the head was no problem. I just had to be slow about it. Exhaust pipe was the biggest problem. I had to take off the exhaust manifold to get the exhaust pipe studs out. I believe in never seize. What are you working on?
Old 08-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Getting the exhaust pipe off first was the hard part. Maybe some of the guys here
can tell us how to to do it. Age and rust was my probblem.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbro View Post
Soak the studs with "PB Blaster" You can get it at wally world or some Automotive parts stores. I was actually able to take out some exhaust bolts from my wifes Ponitac Fire bird and reuse the bolts it worked that good!
Grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
And if you break one.. because you will, simply MIG on a bolt to the stud (assuming you've got some sticking out). The heat helps free the stud...

Now if you break it after breaking the welded bolt.. that's where it gets painful
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote