Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90chieftian View Post
Replaced one of my inside florescent lights with one of these, Green LongLife 3528101 LED 18" Replacement Light Tube with T8 base 500 Lumens 12v or 24v Natural White. My fixtures needed new ballast but with these LED bulbs no ballast or needed just snip two wires and works great.
My florescent fixture was messed up too including the old yellowed cover. So I just ended up replacing the fixture with a new double RV light fixture with 2 modes (1 or 2 bulbs on) and put a big of LED bulbs in 1156 size that would fit in warm (aka natural) white.

It was way cheaper than that $40 bulb you got and lets me turn on one or both bulbs instead of both at once like my old fixture was made to do.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #268

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
As a side note, I recently read that one can brighten the old dull plastics in lights and headlights using a soft cloth and either toothpaste or ceramic stove top polish to clean it up and make it bright.

I have some Lexan and other polymer based panes from old windows out in storage I think would justify some experimenting with. Give me something to do on a rainy day.

(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #269

I have the heater going now to warm it up a bit before i got out and play around, and i have a vintage rv so im sure i got some yellow lights..Ill give your toothpaste and a softcloth to see if anything changes them...give me something to do today.
Im going to remove a few doors and get ready to do some painting soon.anyways.
if headlights have a glass fronting, not plastic..u can use steel wool to shine the glass up..works on windshields too!! ( just dont get it wet, and u can re-use it)
Old 02-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #270

Well possum, I thought for sure i would have some on mine to try your therory, and i either had clear or they just didnt have any...lol
and i went to take some cabinet doors off, and seen a bigger project to do instead.
here are some pics..water damage..I located the leak from the ouside as well,just followed the ice backwards to the...frozen puddle on top of rv. have to wait for a warmer day to get the ice off and fix the leak from the outside in..then to fix the wall. with my budget..Im thinking..put some thin insulation up, then either some thin paneling or maybe some type of wood product that i can either paint or put maybe a mirror on..below the window will be some type of sitting funiture when im done..any very cheap suggestions are always helpful... thats what it started out as..i noticed some of the screws wasnt even in the wood. so up it goesThe damage.. The problem...
Old 02-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #271

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Doncha hate it when that happens? I guess I will be stuck doing the brightening experiment. If you have seen the commercial on the Telly with the screen door installed in the bottom of a rowboat and sprayed with a leak sealer take their word for it the frigging stuff works. A camping buddy of ours had a small roof leak that he repaired with this stuff and it hasn't leaked since it was sprayed.

In this part of Canada we get rain that farmers dream of until it gets to nightmare proportions. Needless to say the roof has been inundated with lots of water and the ceiling is still dry and the roof is still intact.
FlexSeal! - YouTube
Please note I did say SMALL YMMV.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #272

Thanks,
I started my own thread in the vintage section so i diddnt have to post everything i do on this persons, altho im sure they don'tmind, but ya, I have seen that commerical..And ill have to check that out..but I have water leaks else where too..
So, Im thinking of trying to seal off the whole roof at one time if possible..but i bet that stuff would work for around vents, or any cracks u find..
Old 02-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #273

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My neighbour across the street redid his 1978 Winnebago brave roof totally. He took the old roof off, cut and laminated new roof struts from marine grade plywood, replaced the whole roof covering with marine grade plywood and then had a roofer buddy put torch-on roofing over that. He kept it for two years before selling it and didn't have any leakage problems.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #274

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have brightened up many boat dashes with automotive buffing compound. I use the thicker grit stuff but it's as easy as "wax on - wax off" (thanks Mr. Miagi!). It does work, but you have to re-do it after a while, depending on exposure.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #275

National RV Owners Club
Replacing water damage

I decided to pull out the carpet in January. I knew there was a leak above the window but did not know the extent of the damage. The pics tell the whole story. I replaced the carpet with peel and stick squares that look like stained concrete. I put laminate in my previous RV but I did not want to add the weight this time.
Attached Images

Teachrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #276

National RV Owners Club
More water damage repair

New flooring and wall veneer.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #277

National RV Owners Club
More water damage repair

Tile and wallpaper installed.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #278

National RV Owners Club
More water damage repair

Seat reinstalled.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #279

National RV Owners Club
Water damage repair

I had a flip table that was also damaged. I found some vinyl contact shell covering in a similar wood grain pattern. Cheap and easy. This is before.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #280

National RV Owners Club
Water damage repair

And after.
Attached Images