Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2018, 12:58 AM   #3445

Vintage RV Owners Club
Continuing my discovery tour of my Roadtrek.

The cigarette lighter in dash doesn't work, tried new fuse, didn't help, my son brought home a replacement from a friend who had one sitting around. Didn't match, mine has an extra wire attached, which I didn't know til I took it apart.
Tried the black and grey valve gates, black barely moved, grey doesn't move. Haven't been used in 18 years. So I decided to pull out my sewer hose and check it. It fell apart.
Bought some silicone spray to try on the valve gates, reading instructions, says not to use on plastic.
Tried to change the windshield wipers, couldn't get them on, needs an adapter that wasn't included. Instructions says it should work, they came up as a fit for my vehicle. My son will try to look at them tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lighter apart.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	190877   Click image for larger version

Name:	sewer hose fail.png
Views:	70
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	190878  

RVM #170 Ready to start the next adventure of my life. I am a merchandiser and a personal organizer, hence the filethis2.
filethis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2018, 09:59 AM   #3446

Custom made Fleetwood decal

Had some custom decals made at www.DoItYourselfLettering.com
Made with burgundy letter, with silver shadows on 3M vinyl.
Applied them yesterday. Think they look rather nice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0677.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	549.9 KB
ID:	190917  
D Gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #3447

Vintage RV Owners Club
Re-engineered waste valve actuators - success!

I've installed the re-engineered waste valves in "Frank", and today I finished the relocated actuator shafts.

Originally, anyone could walk up and pull the actuators (see black plugs next to the "Sewage" and "Waste" badges. (I guess folks were very trusting in 1972?)

I relocated them to be blocked in behind the retractable bumper so as not to be tampered with. The system works great!

Pictures show:
Bumper extended, valves open
Bumper extended, valves closed
Bumper pushed in, valves closed (bumper is literally blocking the valves closed)

Another tick mark off the checklist before work...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HvodckO4TqaZJYD78xqHTg.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	190918   Click image for larger version

Name:	b0FIOJlNTLugGKXfDl08Rw.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	374.5 KB
ID:	190919  

Name:	QEsR3GXISTOQXUkWD8mb5w.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	487.2 KB
ID:	190920  
BJohnsonsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #3448

Vintage RV Owners Club
battle by battle, you'll win the war!

Quote:
Originally Posted by filethis2 View Post

The cigarette lighter in dash doesn't work,

Tried the black and grey valve gates, black barely moved, grey doesn't move. Haven't been used in 18 years. So I decided to pull out my sewer hose and check it. It fell apart.

Tried to change the windshield wipers, couldn't get them on, needs an adapter that wasn't included.
Accept the war you're in, with all the little battles, and charge that hill! It will all be worth it when it all works and you're sipping your favorite beverage in some far off campsite after all the efforts! (that's what I keep saying!)

Good luck and keep after it!
Old 02-03-2018, 06:02 AM   #3449

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
It looks beeeautiful!
RVM #170 Ready to start the next adventure of my life. I am a merchandiser and a personal organizer, hence the filethis2.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:03 AM   #3450

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJohnsonsv View Post
I've installed the re-engineered waste valves in "Frank", and today I finished the relocated actuator shafts.

Originally, anyone could walk up and pull the actuators (see black plugs next to the "Sewage" and "Waste" badges. (I guess folks were very trusting in 1972?)

I relocated them to be blocked in behind the retractable bumper so as not to be tampered with. The system works great!

Pictures show:
Bumper extended, valves open
Bumper extended, valves closed
Bumper pushed in, valves closed (bumper is literally blocking the valves closed)

Another tick mark off the checklist before work...
Awesome. I want to try some kind of update to my system. Still Researching.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:56 AM   #3451

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Took inventory of all light bulbs so I can convert to led's. Hired an electrician to install RV outlet outside the garage. Now looking for campgrounds for the 4th of July weekend.
renhaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:37 PM   #3452

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post

nice job, looks great!
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #3453

Today was a day for looking for roof leaks (found some areas) now to wait for the warm weather to put the sealer on. Tarped it for the upcoming rain on Sunday, oh, that's tomorrow. Fitted my latest addition to it. An extended hitch with a plate welded onto it. The plate is drilled for my vise and grinder. Guess I just can't bear the thought of not being able to play with something. Found and fixed the turn signal lighting up with the lights. That was enough for today!
Timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #3454

Is that a manual retract bumper, or powered? Really nice engineering there. Frank is one sharp looking rig!!
Timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:03 PM   #3455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
If you suspect a ground issue just add another to the instrument cluster and check to see if it fixes your gauge issue. If it does leave it and button it up.
All grounds go to the same place. The frame and back to the battery. You can always add more!

If not then you have other issues.
This
Old 02-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #3456

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Is that a manual retract bumper, or powered? Really nice engineering there. Frank is one sharp looking rig!!
It's manual. Not up to adding motors there - but good idea. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2018, 10:03 PM   #3457

Vintage RV Owners Club
Installed PrecisionTemp RV-550 NSP EC

Installed my PrecisionTemp RV-550 NSP EC (tankless, through-floor mounting) today. It's a brand new model, so it isn't on their website.

I had originally ordered the one with a side door, but when we had to close up the original over-sized water heater door on Flatnose Frank while doing bodywork, I couldn't bring myself to cut a new hole in the nice clean body. So I called up PrecisionTemp guys and they helped me out. I sent in my first unit, and they refit it for me as a unit that vents through the floor. I'm please so far with their service. I'll review the operation when it's done, in fact, since it's a brand new model, I told them I would.

So today was the day to cut 3 holes in the fresh new subfloor. Very nerve-wracking, and didn't want to mess up. I found that the measurements in the instructions that came with the water heater were wrong! So I made a template and let the hole saws and jigsaws do their damage.

The bonus of the day was that literally right before I was going to cut a hole in the lower left side of the body for the exhaust pipe, I took one last look a bit deeper at the subframe and found there was a perfect cutout hole for the entire exhaust pipe. You can see it in the picture of underneath. This means all indication of the water heater is completely concealed, but it safely vents into a wide open section underneath the coach. Sometimes thing work out!

A 2-hour job stretched to 7, but I'm getting used to it...

(Oh, please excuse the ridiculous amount of high-temp RTV silicone on the exhaust pipe, there is NO ROOM in the space you see, so I had to stretch to run my finger around the pipe. The RTV is between the pipe and the outlet as per the instructions...I just have a bit extra. No one except y'all will ever see this...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_22db.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	191123   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_22dd.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	191124  

Name:	+6GKbF+XTiiPl0ONhSlRhQ.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	191125   Click image for larger version

Name:	yB5O0AqWSsO+LWXGf5vTBw.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	191126  

Old 02-04-2018, 07:46 AM   #3458

Got some more done to my big screen TV cabinet build.

Now all it needs is to clean up the wiring, finish trimming it out and staining all the wood to the same shade of oak stain. TV works good, it's all tuned in and the lift raises and lowers as I designed it.

There will be a big removable fancy front panel for maintenance. Was going to put in an electric fireplace in the cabinet front, but decided I'd rather have more floor space.

The TV screen has 2.25 inches clearance from the inside of the cabinet when it's retracted.

Getting there! Now I can remove the cabinet and wallpaper that wall. Then on to the new flooring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180203_182419.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	191143  
Curtis in TX is offline   Reply With Quote