Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2018, 08:55 PM   #3543

Another day crawling around underneath it. Greased all but one fitting-have to move it to get to it, it's in a u-joint. Adjusted all the brakes and freed up everything that was frozen- except one clevis between the air brake and the cam rod. The pin is frozen tight. Thought I didn't like the way the brakes felt. The other side was frozen too, but I managed to work that one loose. Hoping the overnight sit with penetrant will convince it.
Timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2018, 08:57 PM   #3544

Flatnose Frank is going to make some of those newer rigs jealous!
Old 03-04-2018, 09:08 AM   #3545

Well, an overnight sit with penetrant didn't help. After a jaunt over to a friend's to borrow his torch's I got back and judiciously applied heat to the pivot. Got the pin out, took a file to it and reinserted it for fit. Good fit, so out it came again and greased pin and all three pivoting points, then did the same for the right side. Having CDL told me those brakes were inadequate. I've had rigs with problems, but all stopped better than this did. Today the water separator for the diesel gets replaced and hopefully I find that last 500 RPM that's been missing. Gotta get that last grease fitting too so that can be scratched off the list.

One of the projects for today is finding out just where the access is for my tail lights so I can replace the bulbs with LED's. Well, daylight's burning!
Old 03-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #3546

Ahh had to use the "hot wrench" best to replace that. Have seen them break or bend due to having heat applied to remove it
Lonesome54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:09 AM   #3547

Vintage RV Owners Club
Installed a new water pump and winterizing kit, and still working on my furnace in my '96 Roadtrek. The furnace is short cycling. You tube videos say 99%of the time it just needs cleaning. Pulled the electrode out to clean it,used can air in the chamber. Unfortunately I wrecked the gasket and had to get a new one. Have to put it back together and fire it up.
I'm trying to do it without pulling it all the way out. It's hard wired, and I hate clipping them and having to reattach them.
RVM #170 Ready to start the next adventure of my life. I am a merchandiser and a personal organizer, hence the filethis2.
filethis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:19 AM   #3548

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJohnsonsv View Post
Took a week off for vacation, but made good progress over the last two weekends:

> Finished the battery/inverter connections as well as the electrical panel (up to the fuse panels)
> The 1/2 inch subfloor was just too thin and flexy, so we glued another 1/2 inch to it in all walkways - makes for a solid, non-squeak floor
> Started installing coach lights
> Finished all cabinet door & drawer installs
> Rebuilt entry step and installed pulldown exterior step
> Made plumbing progress w/ hot/cold hoses and sink/shower valves
> Installed all cabin control panels
> Started finishing the handrail and shelf on dinette

I'm actually starting to envision a REAL finish date in April (not taking bets).

More pics here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/202680...20240680/page6

I must say that I am impressed with your knowledge and abilities. You're doing a phenomenal job.

How do you think the weight will differ from the original...heavier or lighter?
Barrett-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #3549

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Flatnose Frank is looking spectacular. Kudos Sir!
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:47 AM   #3550

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Installed our new ceiling fan yesterday. Turned out that the solid state control required a new (extra) pair of wires to be installed to power and control fan speed and reverse features.

It took nearly four hours of carefully considered work to get the pair pulled into the switch cut out. I had to snake the wires through the return air duct, and then drill through the bedroom double pocket door header and then down into the switch opening.

The fan is now up and running but it wobbles badly. I inspected it and it appears that the the disk that the fan blades are attached to is warped. I am going to remove it and trying to true it up some.

It was nice to have the fan last evening though. I think overall it was worth the time to replace it.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #3551

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett-FL View Post
I must say that I am impressed with your knowledge and abilities. You're doing a phenomenal job.

How do you think the weight will differ from the original...heavier or lighter?
Thank you! Learning and re-learning so many things along the way.

I estimate +500lbs because of some added plywood to stiffen floor, a third battery, larger water tank, and a 70lb inverter. Have really tried to be weight conscious though. e.g we went with 1/2" and 5/8" ply instead of 5/8" and 1/2" for cabinets.

I still expect to come in under 12,000 lbs fully laden when done. That was part of the appeal of these coaches in the day - significantly lower weight than average 25-30 ft A classes.
BJohnsonsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #3552

Vintage RV Owners Club
Frank's interior lights going in --- an hour at a time

Finding it hard to find more than an hour here and there, but making ok progress getting the interior lights installed in Flatnose Frank.

I REALLY like these Acegoo under cabinet LEDs from Amazon. Solid quality, small, bright, warm light. Springs are surprisingly strong (but, one came loose and flew who-knows-where).

Also installed the last (of only 2) solid, aluminum original swivel reading lights that I restored and a cheap, tinny remake (that will do...but sure wish I had another original).

And, took about 1.5 hours to figure out and properly install the first push-button cabinet latch knob. They are great quality, and I bought them direct from China where they're made via AliExpress for less than half the price I found elsewhere. I waited three weeks for shipping, but worth the savings. Just 20 more to install.

more pics HERE as always...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5ead%W8xTiu9nBI%CgaoMQ.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	194757   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2385.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	194762  

Name:	eoOrx%YkS0aTog%CJOnHyQ.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	194763   Click image for larger version

Name:	v674TkIrRdi3O1sYjDqxAQ.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	194764  

Name:	HkhUowsLTKGQsvkl4hfqjg.jpg
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	194765  
Old 03-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #3553

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJohnsonsv View Post
we went with 1/2" and 5/8" ply instead of 5/8" and 1/2" for cabinets.
I meant to say "1/2" and 5/8' instead of 5/8" and 3/4""
Old 03-06-2018, 11:01 PM   #3554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesome54 View Post
Ahh had to use the "hot wrench" best to replace that. Have seen them break or bend due to having heat applied to remove it

Well, I've always found it's like working with a frame or sheet metal. The trick is to keep your temp low enough that you don't change the steel's characteristics.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:34 AM   #3555

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie and Martha View Post
Installed our new ceiling fan yesterday. Turned out that the solid state control required a new (extra) pair of wires to be installed to power and control fan speed and reverse features.

It took nearly four hours of carefully considered work to get the pair pulled into the switch cut out. I had to snake the wires through the return air duct, and then drill through the bedroom double pocket door header and then down into the switch opening.

For those interested in installing a ceiling fan, this is the one it used. It does not require the additional wires and is IR controlled.

12 Volt RV Remote Control Ceiling Fan 36"

Our MH had a ceiling light, so it was a simple job to replace the light with this fan. I did have to make a wooden plate to cover the opening left by the light which I then mounted the fan to. If you have a bedroom slide, make sure you have the required clearance when the slide is in.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:03 AM   #3556

Winnebago Owners Club
Ugly decals

Been working on removing old cracked decals and painting on new ones. First I used a heat gun and plastic razor blades, but now I have found a solution called graphixoff and it is so much easier. I plan to do all the decals, but taking a few at a time as it is very time consuming and it depends on the weather how much I can get done
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180228_123906.jpg
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	194810  
mudslidemary is offline   Reply With Quote