Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #379

Winnebago Owners Club
I reinstalled my new starter (no shims), hooked up the battery, and hoped for the best. I hopped in and tried to start it. One thing I learned during this is to let the fuel pump work for a little bit before trying to start. I didn't do that at first, but when I did it started right up with no hesitation. That chevy 454 sounds so beautiful. 1989 Winnebago Elandan 37'
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #380

iRV2 No Limits Club
Pulled the outside mirrors and refinished them.
They are in a plastic housing that was badly weathered.
I used the new Krylon Fusion for Plastic.
Knocked off the weathered roughness and sprayed as directed.
Looks good so far.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #381

For the several years we've had the '88 Winnie Super Chief seen in my info at the left of this post, I've been fighting the chalky condition of the outer walls, both the fiberglass end caps, and the sidewalls. Tried several name brand waxes - Meguiars liquid stuff seemed best of the lot, went on easily and wiped off easily as well - nice finish for a while, but too quickly reverted back to former dull finish.

Trick used with the biker crowd, is use of Lemon Pledge - I got some and used it on my '83 Kawasaki KZ1100 LTD, and it works great:

SOOooo, decided to try it on the Winnie yesterday - early impression is GREAT! Stuff sprays on and wipes off easily - and so far has left a nice shine on all surfaces tried, painted, fiberglass, and whatever composition is used on the large flat sidewalls - and the difference in the old faded vinyl side stripes is dramatic!

Of course, the MH now smells like a lemon...

Time will tell if the results will stick around any better than the previous stuff used, but so far, looks favorable!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Lucky you!!
Replaced the starter last year, $800 to tow ($0 to me, CoachNet paid it all). Starter and labor, just over $1,000 incl tax
It was about $60 for one for me last year.. but that's without towing or labor. I put it on myself. Lifetime warranty starter from OReilly. If you can turn a wrench, you can generally change a starter on your own.
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #383

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
For the several years we've had the '88 Winnie Super Chief seen in my info at the left of this post, I've been fighting the chalky condition of the outer walls, both the fiberglass end caps, and the sidewalls. Tried several name brand waxes - Meguiars liquid stuff seemed best of the lot, went on easily and wiped off easily as well - nice finish for a while, but too quickly reverted back to former dull finish.

Trick used with the biker crowd, is use of Lemon Pledge - I got some and used it on my '83 Kawasaki KZ1100 LTD, and it works great:

SOOooo, decided to try it on the Winnie yesterday - early impression is GREAT! Stuff sprays on and wipes off easily - and so far has left a nice shine on all surfaces tried, painted, fiberglass, and whatever composition is used on the large flat sidewalls - and the difference in the old faded vinyl side stripes is dramatic!

Of course, the MH now smells like a lemon...

Time will tell if the results will stick around any better than the previous stuff used, but so far, looks favorable!

Do a search on Red Max or Zep if you want your MH to shine, cannot be beat. The Pledge will work until the first time you get wet, used it for years to freshen my bikes smelled good at red-lights also.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Do a search on Red Max or Zep if you want your MH to shine, cannot be beat. The Pledge will work until the first time you get wet, used it for years to freshen my bikes smelled good at red-lights also.
YUP - need a longer haul test, but the Pledge sure goes on and off easier than other stuff I've used. I see good reports on the Red Max and Zep, but not much on their lifespan either. Here's a look at mine during application top pic has only the sidewall completed, but not the rear cap yet:

As to rain resistance, ALL the popular waxes I've tried so far have displayed substantial streaking after rain - appears the bare aluminum roof sheds oxidation with water, and causes light colored streaks - not a real big issue, but perhaps a good coat of quality paint would correct the issue...
Old 05-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #385

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That looks good, but probably temporary. Give the Zep a try, either High Traffic or High Gloss will give you great results. Buy some and try the rear cap first. Wash it well with TSP, clean any streaks off with Comet or Bar Keepers Friend, and put on at least 5 good thin coats of Zep. It goes on alot faster than you may think, my wife and I would do a full side in about 15 minutes. Been on about 10 months looks new, most dirt rinses off with hose. Click pics for larger view, MH is a 96, was very dull before the ZEP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	39142   Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	39143  

Old 05-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
That looks good, but probably temporary. Give the Zep a try, either High Traffic or High Gloss will give you great results. Buy some and try the rear cap first. Wash it well with TSP, clean any streaks off with Comet or Bar Keepers Friend, and put on at least 5 good thin coats of Zep. It goes on alot faster than you may think, my wife and I would do a full side in about 15 minutes. Been on about 10 months looks new, most dirt rinses off with hose. Click pics for larger view, MH is a 96, was very dull before the ZEP.
That looks VERY nice - and good comparison, since your RV is so close to ours in color scheme and construction - thanks for the report and direct experience!
Old 05-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #387

Zep makes a lot of cleaners. What is this, the floor polish?
jml255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #388

I believe it's an acrylic sealant. Just did my 28 yr old trawler. It turned out better than my wildest expectations. The gelcoat was very faded, after many years in the Fl and Bahamanian sun and salt environment. It's now VERY glossy. Shines like new. We get rain every evening here in Ft Myers in the summer. So far it's great. No streaks that don't come off with a little soap & water. No hard scrubbing. If I knew how to post a pic I would. DW says I'm Internet challenged!!? Anyway I'm very impressed with ZEP.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #389

Replaced the old radio head unit with a new one that is iPod, iPhone, and iPad compatible in our '97 American Dream. Should have gone with Bluetooth, but store was out and I already had dash apart and didn't want to wait. Once installed, I made a stand for my iPad for GPS and music playing. Works great. It does charge while connected, but not great. As long as it doesn't lose charge, I'm okay. Of course I can switch to the Aux input.

Still have more mods to do to the old TV cabinet that's its sitting on. I've relocated the TV with an LCD TV, with Direct TV to above the couch mounted to the slide wall. The old opening for the tube TV has to be remodeled to look better and be more functional.

Name:	image-4239869238.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	384.2 KB
ID:	39195
JohnH59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
...... Should have gone with Bluetooth, but store was out .....
It would have been worth the wait. I could not live without a Bluetooth enabled head unit. It is so convenient being able to change music selection and volume from anywhere in the motorhome from my iPhone. It's also nice sitting outside at the campsite too!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:40 AM   #391

Spring Modifictions...we are ready to roll!

I am not sure if our 10 year old MH classifies as vintage but I enjoy reading this forum especially this thread. This past month the DH has been extremely busy...
1) Replaced the vitange TV with a Flatscreen.
2) Replaced the kitchen countertop and table. * The original ones were in perfect condition but I wanted additional counterspace so he removed the double sink and installed a deep bar sink. And the best part is he customized a stove cover with the cutout. The original color was beige... the new faux granite gives the MH a pop of color.
3) New flooring...both vinyl and carpet. *Hated the fact that you enterend the MH onto carpet and also hated the carpet in the bathroom. Entended the vinly to the entrace way and also all the way through to the bedroom as well as extended it a foot and a half towards the dinette and sofa. Now I don't freak about walking in the coach with shoes...as long as you stay off the carpet that is!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2316.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	39202   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2317.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	39203  

Name:	DSCN2318.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	39204   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2319.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	39205  

Name:	DSCN2320.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	39206  
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #392

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
That looks VERY nice - and good comparison, since your RV is so close to ours in color scheme and construction - thanks for the report and direct experience!

Thanks, one more thought, when you do the Decals, do them first. Do one or two light coats, one color at a time. You will get some color fade unto your cloth, you don't want that on your fiberglass or other decal colors. Once that first coat on the decals is dry forget about them, they are sealed, just put subsequent coats right over them as you do the fiberglass.