Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:58 AM   #29

I learned some 30 years ago oriole is the.best but hard to. One by have 3 can. Of p b blaster get the motor hot spray a can on bolts let cool get motor hot repeat till done then impact on low yes use anti seize

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney In TX View Post

Take your time!!!!! Repeat!!!! Take your time. Taking the manifold off the head was no problem. I just had to be slow about it. Exhaust pipe was the biggest problem. I had to take off the exhaust manifold to get the exhaust pipe studs out. I believe in never seize. What are you working on?
I have a 1990 Mallard 28 ft class A. It has a 454 TBI. For now it's just a ticking sound that pretty much goes away when the motor gets hot. But, I know that eventually it was get irritating and loud and I'll have to pull that exhaust manifold off and replace that gasket. That always seems to involve broken hardware in the head and aggravation. I have pulled manifolds without breaking bolts etc.. but, that was a long time ago. Fact is, I haven't pulled an exhaust manifold in over twenty five years. Last time I had an issue I paid a guy to do it because I hate it that much.

If the bolt breaks off flush with the head I suppose that involves drilling the dolt out and tapping the hole, maybe thread repair, etc..

Old 08-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #31

Braved the hot Texan sun and replaced the roof antenna on our Bounder.

The original 25 year old Batwing was well passed its use by date ,so we had replaced it with a Jack complete antenna but that had never worked right.

So we now have a new Sensar IV with wingman add on, all works brilliantly!!

Plus installed at the same time a Wilson Trucker/RV Antenna piggy backing on the Winegard supports, in readiness for the Wilson cell booster sitting in its box.

Probably install that and the interior antenna tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm in Texas too and not about to do any exterior work on my coach. I stared at the roll of Eternabond I bought to use on my roof. Too Hot for that!! No leaks, just preventive maintenance. I have a leak in one of my front clearance lights that needs to be fixed, but that will have to wait too. It only leaks in a heavy downpour and it's not like that happens very often around here. So.......I'll just wait for the cooler weather. That's probably gonna be sometime in January! I'll have a small window of time to get everything on the exterior done, and then the hot temps return. Maybe I'll just wash the dishes.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
RV2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
Falcon, I hope all turns out well for your wife.

I added another refer chimney fan and finished installing LED Cl lights.

Cylon, let us know how the fans work. I now have 2 in mine now and this weekend will be testing in the field :-)
My field test went very well. Hard popsickles all weekend! Have now removed the little inside fan and installed the Ebay 2 fan setup. Turned the fridge on and set to high. 90 deg temp and in 2 hours it was 70 inside the box, this morning it was 25 and -5 in the freezer. YES!
On to my water heater replacement.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
The real question should be "What do I STILL have to do to my RV?"

While some may not consider my '94 Southwind a Vintage RV, these past few weeks have sure convinced me it is. We bought it used a few weeks ago.

1. Rebuilt/cleaned carb on Onan generator
  2. Replaced fuel-filter, air-filter, oil, spark-plugs in generator.
  3. Repaired an apparently quick repair job on the wiring on the generator. Removed all wire-nuts and butt-spliced then sealed with shrink-tube.
  4. Removed faulty propane shut-off valve.
  5. Replaced broken propane leak detector
  6. Removed old CB antenna whip
  7. Fixed radio antenna.
  8. Discovered more wires that will need to be correctly repaired (mice must have been really hungry at some point).
Still to do:
  • Replace steering stabilizer/dampner
  • Check (and maybe replace) air-bags in front springs
  • Fix power-connection to radio (why would someone wire it so that it lost power and thus settings every time you turned off the engine?)
  • Verify no propane leaks (i.e., gotta buy some propane to put in tank to see if anything is leaking)
  • Verify plumbing, i.e. water pump works, no lines leak, shower works, etc.
  • Flush fresh, grey, black tanks
  • Straighten fins on A/C roof units. Noticed yesterday that they are pretty much smashed into a solid piece of alum.
  • THINK about replacing worn out, ugly blue carpet.
  • Search for a decent price (as in not have to sell my first born) for 6 8rx19.5 tires in the DFW area.
Ahhhhh, we are having fun now. Soooooo glad my wife talked me into buying this so we could relax.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #35

Try accent tire in Arlington on abram street I have used them 30 years. Plus it is a hole in the wall just got my 4 rear there mine are 16 but my friend just got the 19.5 there I'm out of town till tomorrow if you can't find the number PM me ill get it for you tomorrow
Old 08-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #36

I just saw you are by my favorite Rv dealer United wow I'm south of you on 35 W 25 minutes
Old 08-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #37

New water heater in. The old was 25y/o and on it's way out.

Pulled the Coleman Mach 3 and made a 5/16" spacer to compensate for the old rubber seal and to get it up off the roof, resealed everything and last night we got 1/2" rain, no leaks and now no condensation on the floor.

The fridge was not self lighting so I played with the spark gap (again) and now she sparks and lights!!

A good day.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #38

I just completed a main battery cut-off switch. Some weird drain killed my last two Bosche batteries (under warrenty). I used an old boat switch and mounted it on the dash.

Cleaned an insulation mouse-nest out of my generator housing

Replaced my old battery boiler with a parallax multi stage converter. Love it!
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ordered more parts.
  • Pressure switch for water pump
  • New camera and monitor for backup/rear-view camera (Showed the current setup to my wife and she agreed it needed to be replaced)
  • 4 muffin fans for the fridge vent to help keep temps below 50 in the fridge during the day.

Still working on:
  • Marquis 7000 quit during a test-drive this weekend. Don't know why
  • Hot Water Heater won't come on. Found a thermostat(?) dangling loose. Reattached but can't test since I got the water-pump all apart
  • Replacing pressure switch on water-pump
  • Probably going to have to replace the radio. Thought the problem was that it was hooked up wrong so it lost all settings when you turned off the engine. Discovered that it was just half of the buttons that lost the settings. Plus it is a cassette only, no CD/DVD. Aux port doesn't work (does it sound like I'm trying to justify a new radio? )

Fixed :
  • Steering Stabilizer - replaced orginal stab with a Bilstein. Man ! what a difference for the better!
  • Access door under fridge to the inverter/fuse panel. Replaced hinges with self-closing to keep the door closed.
  • Discovered NO leaks in the fresh water system.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #40

I pulled the fresh water tank for cleaning and for better access to clean out the compartment it sits in. The lines need some replacing anyway so it was best to just pull it out.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #41

New JACK antenna.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #42

Does installing the muffin fans help out with refrigerators that were not installed with fans? I have an '75 Itasca that the cooling tubes show rust on them I was going to pull the refrigerator out and clean up the tubes if installing fans would help this old refrigerator work or work better I'll do it.