Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2018, 03:00 AM   #4243

Painting

Lynne,

I don't know if you did this or not, but it helps. Wet down your working area, (keeps the dust down,) and hang a chain from your chassis to the ground, (that's to prevent static buildup and zapping.) Now, if you're spraying an all fiberglass coach I'm not sure if the chain is necessary then, but I'd still use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Rules of the page.

Pictures are required. Just kidding but we do love to see the pictures of the work you have done. We each have older rigs that we are lovingly restoring or fixing and seeing what others are doing helps us to decide what to do next to ours and how to do it.

New paint for the ole Southwind – 1999 Southwind 35S

Kodapop. The above link was what helped me the most. The prep is the most important as I found out. There were a few spots that I did not prep as well as I should have and there are areas I will need to redo. You have to be up close to see them but I know they are there.

I removed the wax I thought, but missed a few spots. It bubbled at these spots so make sure you do that vey thoroughly. I washed the decal areas, dried and then sanded them. I will do a better job of sanding too when I do the others and redo the first three.

Some areas I have had to completely remove the decals so will use the ghost stripes to repaint.

It isn't a fast job but it sure looks a heck of a lot better than it did. I am happy with the results and have learned how NOT to do it. I bought a plastic sheeting at Walmart that is a long wide strip. 8 feet in width. I hung that below the decals to keep the paint spray from getting to the side of the rig. Used paper above that. Because of doing this outside, I moved the rig to get the area I was painting out of the sun.

Just take your time and don't forget the before and after pictures. My passenger side is the worse and is where I will concentrate next. All depends on when I can get to it. Might not be until next summer.

jlp3b, sounds like you have done a lot of work but it will be worth it when you get to go out and camp. I Love Camping!

Monaco, do you have pictures, would love to see your work.

FlatSixV2, A new flat screen TV is a necessity when all you have is an old tube TV in your rig. We replaced ours a few years ago.

Looking forward to seeing those pictures in the future. Lynne
Timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2018, 03:11 AM   #4244

Another little hint for taping. When you're taping (I'm right handed) anchor your tape at your starting point, then keep your roll of tape in your left hand away from you at arms length. Stick and smooth the tape with your right. Having a longer lead on the tape this way, you'll find that your arcs will be smoother.
Timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:11 PM   #4245

DH fixed non working exterior porch lt. on RV

Got a new socket from Napa. They had to order it in. Two days...not bad. Used water pumps to twist old socket off. Rewired the light socket. The exterior switch went south. No longer have a Radio Shack in business. Opted to just use interior switch to turn light on and off. Thrilled as our particular style of light with the recessed handle is no longer available. Best four $ I spent in a long while. If we are just out on a weekend we don't string out lights on the awning. The porch light is necessary to came back to the RV after the campfire is done.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:31 AM   #4246

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Took hub caps off and pressure washed rims and caps in preparation of replacing the hardware on the breaks that locked up in front of our driveway the other night , glad there and not out on the road. $15.00 each side. Napa found them were others said they were not available.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:25 AM   #4247

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Tim,
What did you find wrong with your brakes?
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #4248

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
1985 Fleetwood Restoration

This has been an ongoing project for my wife and I. It's a long story but we got the motorhome for free from a friend of a friend.

It's only got 37000 miles on it and we thought worth restoring. The interior of the coach is in pristine shape but so far we have replaced the mattress, toilet, the furnace, the faucet in the kitchen, the hot water heater, the generator and slide mounts, and just last week we replaced the converter and transfer switch (so now all the wiring is up to code. Yay!) At the end of September we're buying a shiny new refrigerator for her. Next is the awning and a paint job.

Like I said she's a project!
PaulAchuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #4249

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbro View Post
Due to my wife's coming out-of-town hospital stay I have been going through the motorhome for three days. This is what I have done:

Flushed the radiator with Prestone Super Flush and replaced the anti-freeze.

Climbed up on the roof with a tube of EDPM rubber and sealed anything that even looked like a potential leak.

Lubed the chassis.

Changed the oil and filter in the generator.

Flushed the fresh water tank

Flushed the grey and black tanks.

Changed out the brake fluid in the master cylinder.

Serviced all the tires.

Repaired one of the awning rails.

Fixed two leaks under the faucets at the kitchen sink.

Washed the motorhome.

Cleaned out the interior.

Fixed the hood latches.

Washed all the linens.

Replaced the house battery with a new deep cycle battery.

The last oil change, air filter change was like, 200 miles ago so, I wont bother with that. Plus, the fuel filter is fairly new too.

I can't think of anything else that needs to be done right now. The old RV is ready to go.

What did you do to your old RV today?
I just replaced my original stiff, and brittle propane hoses. Checked and topped off the battery bank. Now just looking at her waiting to get back on the road in a few weeks.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #4250

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Tim,
What did you find wrong with your brakes?
Frank
Hey Frank,
The springs popped off the pads on rear. 15.00 a set.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:15 PM   #4251

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ok,thanks for the update. Glad that it was something simple and inexpensive.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:17 AM   #4252

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Replaced the air bag on the rear of my Monaco, RR8S, that was leaking. Now holding air pressure overnight with about 5 lbs loss!
See my post in the Roadmaster Chassis section!
Old 08-18-2018, 08:48 AM   #4253

Vintage RV Owners Club
Got about half of in wall wires pulled and tested last night. Need to pick up two more spools of 12 awg wire, and a router bit so I can pull the rest
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #4254

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Put tinting on the windows to keep the sunlight out.

--------------------
Kim and Paul
Kalispell, Montana
1985 Fleetwood Soutwind
2013 Hyundai Accent
PaulAchuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #4255

Finished upgrading fluorescent fixtures to Led's and upgraded my Converter to keep from damaging my new coach batteries
jhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #4256

Took the Class B out to run some errands. I stopped at 3 garage sales and two of them the owners asked about my van.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote