Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #4369

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
Impressive . Good luck making the jig for the epoxy.
Thank you. I got the lower panel prepped for the epoxy and when I pressed it flat to the new luan, it was going uphill slightly relative to the bottom of the coach. I pulled out a couple of my bottle jacks and a pry bar and set about making an adjustment. As I jacked on the wall frame, there was some creaking and groaning, my pry bar slipped and I smacked my head into the motorhome, but eventually I got everything pretty well lined up.

My setup for applying pressure during the epoxy cure consists of some heavy lumber, my skid-steer, and a couple trees. I decided I would rather have some ratcheting support for the pressure, so this necessitated a trip to Gainesville, which is 45 minutes away. The DW learned of my trip, and later I headed out with a list of things she wanted me to pick up while I was there. ...so tomorrow I will be attaching the lower filon panel.

The heat and humidity are still hovering around unbearable. We have been setting records daily for the last week.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2018, 12:30 AM   #4370

Winnebago Owners Club
looks great
I see to went to Gainesville, Gainesville, Fl.?, Am located in Lake City. If you meant Fl, yeah heat and humidity is the worse I have ever seen here,/and I am a native Flordian. Does make work difficult and fragmented at times with all the rain we have been getting. Best of luck with your re-do,/stay safe
wayhilc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:20 AM   #4371

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
Thank you. I got the lower panel prepped for the epoxy and when I pressed it flat to the new luan, it was going uphill slightly relative to the bottom of the coach. I pulled out a couple of my bottle jacks and a pry bar and set about making an adjustment. As I jacked on the wall frame, there was some creaking and groaning, my pry bar slipped and I smacked my head into the motorhome, but eventually I got everything pretty well lined up.

My setup for applying pressure during the epoxy cure consists of some heavy lumber, my skid-steer, and a couple trees. I decided I would rather have some ratcheting support for the pressure, so this necessitated a trip to Gainesville, which is 45 minutes away. The DW learned of my trip, and later I headed out with a list of things she wanted me to pick up while I was there. ...so tomorrow I will be attaching the lower filon panel.

The heat and humidity are still hovering around unbearable. We have been setting records daily for the last week.
The original construction was glue between the fiberglass and wood. Would it not be better to use 3M spray glue than epoxy? Our dealership used epoxy when the surfaces were rough, but 3M spray glue on smooth surfaces.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:53 AM   #4372

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayhilc2 View Post
looks great
I see to went to Gainesville, Gainesville, Fl.?, Am located in Lake City. If you meant Fl, yeah heat and humidity is the worse I have ever seen here,/and I am a native Flordian. Does make work difficult and fragmented at times with all the rain we have been getting. Best of luck with your re-do,/stay safe
Yep, I'm in Starke, FL. I have lived in Florida for 18 years now, 15 of those in the Tampa Bay area, and I can't recall it being this stifling this late in the year. I stepped outside around 1:30 AM this morning and it was STILL unbelievably muggy!
Old 09-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #4373

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
The original construction was glue between the fiberglass and wood. Would it not be better to use 3M spray glue than epoxy? Our dealership used epoxy when the surfaces were rough, but 3M spray glue on smooth surfaces.
I have gone back and forth on that myself. Originally I was going to attempt the repair from the inside; I bought the epoxy under this assumption. Once I peeled open the walls inside and saw just how far gone the luan really was, my method of reconstruction shifted to where I am now. I thought about using a contact adhesive, but some of the filon had taken a memory of the "bubbles" of the delamination. I have a bit of concern that it may let go under the stress of travel, heat, etc. I already purchased the G-Flex so I figured I'd use it.

I do have some water-based contact cement on order to reattach the foam to the luan. I ordered it from Home Depot as it was the better price, but it's been a week and it still hasn't arrived. I could have paid an extra $10 and Amazon would have delivered it the next day. Live and learn...
Old 09-18-2018, 03:17 PM   #4374

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Organized my basement storage, fixed the door on the rear side storage bin, and started investigating if I can run new speaker wires.

mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #4375

Just saying

Back in 2012 we did extensive wall rebuilding on our RV due to water damage. We had good luck with heavy Duty Liquid Nails. Cheapest at Walmart. Another forum member used 4 ounces of Gorilla glue and one tube of HD liquid nails per ceiling sheet material. No HD liquid nails doesn't "eat insulation panels". We used Bondo on the inside of the fiber glass to seal up any holes you can't even see. I am sure many choices of what products to use. Not one only choice. Great job you are doing. Lots of work that should last for years.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:52 AM   #4376

Winnebago Owners Club
if this is any indication of what our winter is going to be, we may need to/start considering a fireplace forvour rigs.
wayhilc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #4377

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

I finally broke down today and became a supporting member of iRV2.com.
Kalispell, Montana
PaulAchuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #4378

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayhilc2 View Post
if this is any indication of what our winter is going to be, we may need to/start considering a fireplace forvour rigs.
Where are you? We have broken heat records every day for more than a week. It's stifling in North Florida right now.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #4379

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thumbs up

We tried this weekend to redo our ceiling with 1/4" cork underlayment and it was a miserable fail! So, we looked on Wal-Mart's site and found some other cork that looked like it might work and ordered it. It's supposed to be here on the 24th. Keeping our fingers crossed!

Kalispell, Montana
Old 09-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #4380

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAchuff View Post
We tried this weekend to redo our ceiling with 1/4" cork underlayment and it was a miserable fail! So, we looked on Wal-Mart's site and found some other cork that looked like it might work and ordered it. It's supposed to be here on the 24th. Keeping our fingers crossed!

What are you using as an adhesive? I would suggest something like DAP Weldwood contact adhesive.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #4381

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
What are you using as an adhesive? I would suggest something like DAP Weldwood contact adhesive.
We tried using that on the cabinet doors and found that it bubbled up on us. We used Roberts 7250 cork underlayment adhesive. It worked great on the cabinet door insets but the ceiling was another story altogether.

The 1/4" cork was too unwieldy to handle even if we cut it down to 2' x 2' sections. Plus we're both shorties so that didn't help any!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	219642  
Kalispell, Montana
Old 09-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #4382

Vintage RV Owners Club
I would recommend a 3m product go to an auto upholstery shop ask them what they use. I believe it is 3m 75 but I'm not sure I have a can at home
Snufy1 is offline   Reply With Quote