Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #4453

Replaced the master relay for HWH leveling system, now the leveling system works again.
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2018, 05:55 PM   #4454

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Replaced the Grey Water blade valve today. What a pain where I sit.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:24 PM   #4455

Monaco Owners Club
last month i began refreshing the dash instrument panel of our ‘95 monaco.

when we bought our ‘95 dynasty last year (to be used as a weekender), the only thing i **really** didn’t like about it was the dash was in **terrible** shape.

i looked all over the interwebz and called every rv salvage / recycler i could identify and not a single one had a dash like ours. i went to multiple metal fabricators and car / hot rod customizers here in silicon valley to see if i could have one made.

buahaha, nobody - but **nobody** was interested in doing it for <$1,000 ... and if they did it, delivery would be 8+ months ... if something didn’t push me out of their schedule during that time.

fine, i’ll just refresh it myself [emoji20]

i cleaned it up, patched the broken screw / attach points, filled the radio area with a sheet of plastic, installed washers on the backside and applied fiberglass cloth to the backside. i tried a couple of different types of spray on paint but was unsatisfied with the results. sanded the surface again, applied an oak veneer, and now finishing up the cut outs ... we hope to stain and install over the weekend ... i’ll post final results.

cover me, i’m going in ;-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7125.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	222230

Name:	IMG_7570.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	222231Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7708.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	222232Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7796.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	222233
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #4456

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Engine Heat Shield

When we have been driving down the road I have always noticed a lot of warmth around the doghouse.

If you had gum sitting in the tray it kind of ruined it. Bottle of water, it got warm fairly quick.

I had heard about heat / sound shield for engine compartments so while my husband was installing a Banks Ram air system today I applied heat shield to the inside of the doghouse.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MH Heat shield.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	455.8 KB
ID:	222243  
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:43 AM   #4457

Found out that Micheal had blown the Dicor sheet halfway off the rig Wednesday night, had to wait until I got home Thursday afternoon to pull it back straight and tie it down again. Almost no rain to speak of here, but MAN was it windy. Got to get around to gluing that Dicor down. But, since I'm using the rig for a workshop more than an RV.....
raccoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:05 AM   #4458

Today I replace the foam gaskets under the rear AC on our coach.
Apparently there is a leak and I checked the gasket from inside and it is compressed down to about 1/4"
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:18 AM   #4459

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Installed a new hot water heater ($370 from Amazon) and tested it to be sure that it functioned properly. Once I knew that the water heater was doing well, I drained it, blew out all the water lines, poured some antifreeze in the Pee Traps, Flushed the holding tanks (being sure to leave the drain valves open), drained the fresh water tank and parked Thelma for the winter.

Still have a few details to do that I delayed because it was so cold and wet here.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:19 AM   #4460

Made an appointment with JC Refrigeration, Shipshewana Indiana, to have an Amish Cooling Unit installed on our Dometic refrigerator that failed near the end our 7 week summertime trip. We are staying with the traditional propane/electric version but they also offer a conversion to a "residential style" with a low amperage compressor.

Home | JC Refrigeration
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:49 AM   #4461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radacravitz View Post
fine, i’ll just refresh it myself
Ah, a man after my own heart!
I rarely pay anyone to do anything I can do.

One, because I work cheap.
And two! I get it built my way.

Plus the fun I get humbly bragging I did it myself.

I'm reworking my 89 Fleetwood Limited"s dash. I went with a Speed Hut GPS speedo and added some Speed Hut custom face made gauges to improve my ability to monitor my now hot rodded 400 hp turbo diesel engine and Allison 5 speed World transmission. It was a Ford EFI 460 gasser with C6 3 speed tranny. And yes, I did re gear the rear end and added limited slip.

And, I tossed the 5 inch black and white tube type back up monitor and installed a 9 inch flat screen with 6 selectable cameras for 360 view. I can view them one at a time full screen, or 2 split screen or 4 split screen. A camera covering every corner plus under the bumpers. Front and rear.
Should I add one to the roof for monitoring get low limbs and bridges? LOL

And, just for grins I got rid of the under the dash CB radio and put a better one in the dash for easier use while driving. It replaced the CD player in the hole it occupied. Since the CD player is now obsolete because I have loaded all my CD music on a USB card and play our tunes through the new fancy radio with its bluetooth. And we have Pandora!

Your dash came our great! Much much better than the Factory one.
Plus it's now stronger.
Curtis in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:09 PM   #4462

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
Ah, a man after my own heart!
I rarely pay anyone to do anything I can do.

One, because I work cheap.
And two! I get it built my way.

Plus the fun I get humbly bragging I did it myself.

I'm reworking my 89 Fleetwood Limited"s dash. I went with a Speed Hut GPS speedo and added some Speed Hut custom face made gauges to improve my ability to monitor my now hot rodded 400 hp turbo diesel engine and Allison 5 speed World transmission. It was a Ford EFI 460 gasser with C6 3 speed tranny. And yes, I did re gear the rear end and added limited slip.

And, I tossed the 5 inch black and white tube type back up monitor and installed a 9 inch flat screen with 6 selectable cameras for 360 view. I can view them one at a time full screen, or 2 split screen or 4 split screen. A camera covering every corner plus under the bumpers. Front and rear.
Should I add one to the roof for monitoring get low limbs and bridges? LOL

And, just for grins I got rid of the under the dash CB radio and put a better one in the dash for easier use while driving. It replaced the CD player in the hole it occupied. Since the CD player is now obsolete because I have loaded all my CD music on a USB card and play our tunes through the new fancy radio with its bluetooth. And we have Pandora!

Your dash came our great! Much much better than the Factory one.
Plus it's now stronger.

Wow, you've sure done a lot - you're much more capable than I!

I've eliminated the cb and the cd/radio and think I'll be fine going forward without them. thx for the nice words re my dash ...I'm pleased so far.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:51 AM   #4463

So, Why Do We Do This?

OK, I'm guilty of all the same stuff. I've put over 6K into our '98 TropiCal, not to mention the sweat equity, with more to go to get it just right. Thing is, no matter what we'll never get any of it back and when it's all said and done, in my case, I have a 20 year old gasser that will always be a 20 year old gasser, a bit underpowered, noisy on the big hills and not quite up to tech. So my question is, other than the satisfaction of a project well done, why do we do this? Maybe I'm just a bit "down" because I'm getting the rig winter-ready but unlike classic cars, in the end, not counting the satisfaction quotient, there is no financial appreciation and, not only do most "sane" people think older motor homes belong "retired" but no matter the condition, some parks won't even let us through their front gates!
Old 10-13-2018, 04:56 AM   #4464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radacravitz View Post
Wow, you've sure done a lot - you're much more capable than I!

I've eliminated the cb and the cd/radio and think I'll be fine going forward without them. thx for the nice words re my dash ...I'm pleased so far.
Well I am a Tim Taylor kind of guy.
I always figured if it's worth doing myself it's worth doing in excess.

I'm a constant tinkerer. I even added a slid out tool box in the basement for a few tools. Well, a lot of tools!

I've always found that having a CB was a good safety feature as a back up for calling for help or just getting traffic info. We always carry a handheld with us in the car.

Found one useful when we had a flat in BFE and asked a trucker to call a tire repair guy for us when he got cell service up the road. Plus we use it for spotting the Coach and calling in the grand kids or me if I'm out paddling my kayak on the lake.
I use to rock climb in my younger days and found it useful to check in with the wife occasionally at the Coach while she waited for me to quit playing spiderman. But arthritis in my hand has ended that chapter of my life. I still kayak though. A zip lock over it and I'm good.
Curtis in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:10 AM   #4465

Ford Super Duty Owner
Removed the ole sleeper sofa and put in a dual recliner love seat thingy..

Replace sleeper sofa with recliner loveseat – 1999 Southwind 35S

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Recliner_10_800.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	222420  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:29 AM   #4466

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I installed a new lighted door assist bar on the coach. The 13 year old earlier version broke off in my hand while trying to pull my fat arse into the coach.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote