Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2019, 07:26 PM   #4887

My son took Miss Kitty for a test run Sunday & complained about the mirrors not being properly adjusted, so today I tackled repairing the power mirrors. Pulled the dash cluster to check, and found I had power to switches with the ignition turned on. Hit the mirror switch & mirrors work perfectly! Evidently the wire was almost unplugged and when I probed it with my test light I pushed it back in. Why can't all fixes be that easy????
Rick Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2019, 07:49 PM   #4888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Morgan View Post
Why can't all fixes be that easy????
That would take all the fun out of looking for the fix.....not.
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:50 AM   #4889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Morgan View Post
Why can't all fixes be that easy????
But what would you do with all that free time?

I have found so many of my plugon 12 volt connectors broken and only holding on the spade on one side I've lost count. So I buy new re[lacement connectors by the 100 count and just set them, my strippers and crimpers next to me when ever I get redy to work behind the dash. Apparently 30 years is well past their service life!

Good thing I'm only driving old motorhomes rather than flying old airplanes.

Got my rear winch wired and working yesterday wirth a main cut off switch munted in the battery bay..

And the 4 new video camera wires are tied in all th way to the rear bumper under the frame in their own wiring loom. I used yellow loom so I can find them if they every need attention down the road.

I've hit my head on sharp bracket corners so many times I now wear a hard hat under there. Just had an epiphany and realized I have an old motorcycle half helmet I could just strap on and stop messing with the hard hat falling off all the time.
Curtis in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #4890

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
Go ahead and wear the helmet, but don’t get caught licking the windows
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #4891

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
re: strange wiring under hood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman01 View Post
I charged the A/C system and fixed some strange wiring the PO installed.
Beware if FORD, as they had several RECALLS that installed extra fuses in the SPEED CONTROL CIRCUITS, dues to issues w/ shorts/ failure to shut off, etc.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:47 PM   #4892

What have I done to my RV today?

Welllllll, it wasn't actually today, but a few days in a row and then sort of still at it.

Added sound deadening stuff to my doghouse. I know there's a thread on here somewhere, but since I just wrote this up for NF6X, I'll just throw it in here as well, but, WITH PICS!

"Hey NF6X, just saw pics of your rig here and thought I'd suggest a upgrade since you had the doghouse hood up.

I have a 97 RexAir and am in the process of putting on Dynamat on the doghouse and although it's not done nor have I even compared the before and after sound deadening effect of the Dynamat, I can tell by just banging on the side of the doghouse it's going to be WAY quieter!

I also wanted to say, I ordered the Dynamat BUT have found a MUCH cheaper product that I 'think' will do the same job.

Here's a link to the Dyanmat: https://amzn.to/2V5sBZn - $62 (Was $60 and I just bought it less than two weeks ago...supply and demand?)
Here's the link KilMat:https://amzn.to/2PhkrHT - $60, but it's for 36 square feet.

So Dynamat is 12"x36" = 3 Square feet, times 4 pieces, so that's 12 square feet.
KilMat is 9.8"x15.7" = 1.07 square feet, times 34 pieces, so that's 36.33 square feet.

(I was going to say I couldn't figure it out, but thanks to Google!)

So anyway, from the way your doghouse looks it looks like it would be pretty easy to put that stuff on. Now, to be clear, most all the folks here on IRV2 put on the Dynamat (or KilMat) 1st as it's the sound deadening part, and THEN add the Dynamat Hoodliner:
https://amzn.to/2Up5yUU - $58 The Hoodliner helps with the heat.

One thing I mentioned to NF6X was that it looked as though his doghouse has that sprayed in foam insulation like mine, and I talked with Dynamat and they said that I needed to remove it 1st before putting down the Dynamat or it wouldn't make adhere properly. THAT was a really PITB! But what made it a bit better (I first was using a scraping tool) was to buy one of those stiff metal bushes and put it in a cordless drill AND bought a right angled adapter so I could get under the lip of the doghouse. Once I bought that adapter it made the job way easier.

Here's some before and after pics, and I haven't completed it yet due to travel and having torn something in my shoulder while doing it, but hoping to have it done this weekend.

PS: FOUND IT! Here's the link to the other thread about DynaMat: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/dyna...ll-433019.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dh-before.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	242458   Click image for larger version

Name:	dh-lid-before.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	242459  

Name:	dh-side-prior-to.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	242460   Click image for larger version

Name:	dh-dynamat-hoodliner.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	242461  

Name:	doghouselid.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	242462  
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:34 PM   #4893

A word of caution to anyone who might use expanding foam insulation under your hood. Check to make sure it's not flammable! SOME of that stuff will burn like GAS!
Rick Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #4894

Godda do whats ya gadda do!

This rotten spot in floor was due to some time in past 23 yrs. When something flipped up off passenger side duals. Therein ripping apart the orig galvy sheet metal to expose the plywood flooring. Soooo... then, over the years... the duals flung water and mud upon bottom of the plywood.

All better now! That's the only wet spot in the RV!! Yea!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3382.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	242479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3383.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	242480  

Name:	IMG_3384.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	242481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3385.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	242482  

Name:	IMG_3387.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	242483   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3388.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	242484  

Name:	IMG_3390.JPG
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	242485   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3391.JPG
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	242486  

Name:	IMG_3392.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	242487  
RM Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:56 PM   #4895

I don't have the RV yet, but I hope to be buying it soon. And I'm already thinking of it as "my" RV. The seller is a 1.5-2 hour drive away, and I still have a day job for, and I'm not sure if the seller has other higher priorities going on at the moment. As far as I know, the deal is on track. But even if it falls through, I'll probably have pretty much all of the same kinds of, uh, "fun" with whatever RV I end up buying. Especially because my price range means I'm looking at stuff around 30 years old.

I was wondering about putting acoustic and/or thermal insulation on top of the foam under that doghouse lid. I figured it wouldn't be a stable surface to stick stuff onto, so I'm not surprised that it needs to be removed. I'd expect that stuff like Dynamat ought to work better than plain old polyurethane foam.

There appears to be lots of the sprayed on foam inside the front of the body, visible through the hatch on the front. I don't know what that area is usually called in a class A RV. 30 year old spray foam with 30 years of road crud on it sure looks nasty!
NF6X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:50 AM   #4896

Quote:
Originally Posted by NF6X View Post
I don't have the RV yet, but I hope to be buying it soon. And I'm already thinking of it as "my" RV. The seller is a 1.5-2 hour drive away, and I still have a day job for, and I'm not sure if the seller has other higher priorities going on at the moment. As far as I know, the deal is on track. But even if it falls through, I'll probably have pretty much all of the same kinds of, uh, "fun" with whatever RV I end up buying. Especially because my price range means I'm looking at stuff around 30 years old.

I was wondering about putting acoustic and/or thermal insulation on top of the foam under that doghouse lid. I figured it wouldn't be a stable surface to stick stuff onto, so I'm not surprised that it needs to be removed. I'd expect that stuff like Dynamat ought to work better than plain old polyurethane foam.

There appears to be lots of the sprayed on foam inside the front of the body, visible through the hatch on the front. I don't know what that area is usually called in a class A RV. 30 year old spray foam with 30 years of road crud on it sure looks nasty!
What... year, mileage, make, model, length, chassis type , engine, overall length, pop outs... ??
RM Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #4897

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After nearly 23 months of full timing and countless projects, repairs and improvements I am happy to say that I did nothing to our RV this week.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:07 AM   #4898

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post
What... year, mileage, make, model, length, chassis type , engine, overall length, pop outs... ??
1989 Allegro Open Road, 28’, Chevrolet P30 chassis with 454 engine, 61k miles. No pop outs. HWH hydraulic jacks. Two twin beds in the rear. Sofa and two swivel chairs in the living room; no dinette. Fold down bunk over the cab. I hope to finalize the deal soon. I like the unusual styling of this model.
NF6X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #4899

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie and Martha View Post
After nearly 23 months of full timing and countless projects, repairs and improvements I am happy to say that I did nothing to our RV this week.

Good news Charlie. Now if it will just warm up in South Dakota, you will be set.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:32 AM   #4900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie and Martha View Post
Ya know...you probably shouldn't have said that...LOL!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote