RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:39 PM   #5349

Just so I can put the heater core issue to bed regarding OUR Holiday Rambler, the cable activated valve that controls coolant flow through the heater core is only on 1 line. No "H", just 1 line. Obviously that will have no affect on motor cooling.

rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #5350

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Changed all the brake caliperís yesterday as the bleed screws where froze in place. Wanted to change the brake fluid so new caliperís and brake pads. Found a valve extension that was loose after the new tires where installed, tightened that up properly.
One more item off the list.
Terry

96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #5351

Gulf Streamers Club
Disassembled Tub and Outside Shower valve and greased the Stem Threads, O-Rings and flipped the Seat washers, should last for another 24 years. They sure work a lot easier now. Repaired the wire going to the Propane Solenoid shutoff valve for the generator, found a bare spot in the insulation where it had been rubbing on the frame and sparking making the generator unreliable. Butt spliced and heat shrank with the sealing type heat shrink on the connection and installed a piece of corrugated wire loom to protect the wires in that area and wire tyed them out of harms way.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:34 AM   #5352

Too much unsupervised time, this will teach the wife not to go shopping and leave me alone.

Pulled up the Oak Flooring out of the lower 2 rooms in the house. They came up clean enough. Bad glue job done by the PO. They came up so easy and without damage so I'm going to clean them up and repurpose them as a motorhome floor.
Was always was thinking I would buy & lay a new wood flooring like what was in the house.

And since we are about to redo all the flooring on the lower floor of the S&B, it seemed a shame not to use them instead of tossing them and buy new planks like what I had.

I think there's enough to do 2 coaches. I'm going to pick the pieces with the best grain patterns of these and enjoy them for years.

Here's a picture of the long plank stack, there is another set of shorter ones this big too!

Will get bad on the Coach remodel as soon as we are done with the S&B remodel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190823_082014.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	454.2 KB
ID:	257713  
Old 08-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #5353

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Oil change, oil Filter and Air filter change on generator today.

Just about got that list beat!

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:29 PM   #5354

Two weeks ago we had a nice three day stay at a near by park. The trip there and back was smooth. We came home, unpacked, cleaned her up and parked. Last Saturday I went to fill up gasoline tank, I try to do this every time we use it, and blew out a hydraulic hose. No power brakes or steering. Limped back home....WHEW!

It turned out to be the big hose that goes to the "AUTO PARK" brake.

So I spent all day Friday lifting it and removing the drivers side wheel and some sheet metal just to see it.
All day today removing it, having a new one made, replacing it, refilling fluid, bleeding and putting every thing back together.

What an ordeal....Thank goodness it happened a just few miles from home.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:41 PM   #5355

Well this bracket came in the mail, so I got with it. Ran about ten bucks from WalMart.com, bundled with some other stuff to get free shipping.

I had a 13" tube TV overhead. I figured this little LED we used in our popup would clear the two cabinet doors to either side when stowed. It does. The way the arm extends I can upgrade to a bigger screen later if I want. Even though when stowed such would block the doors it's easy enough to move out far enough for clearance.

My cabinets are nice solid wood so it was easy to pick a location to add a custom fit piece of 2x4 for a more robust mounting surface. After considering top and bottom, I figured it was about the right height already and so went to the driver's side of the opening. Mounted the board I cut with "deck" screws and some construction adhesive. I didn't stain it as it's basically invisible. Should I have stain out for something else I'll give it a swipe though. Mounted with a slight downward tilt, the arm tends to walk out a little. Cranking down on the pivot bolts stopped that. But I don't trust it not to come out when driving. Solution to that was simply a small bungee cord from the back of the bracket to a screw at the back of the opening. Sounds cheesy but it works really well. Test drove it today. It's just barely in the way going from the driver's seat into the back. With a bigger screen THAT might be a problem. My initial plan was to duplicate this setup in the bedroom, relocate the small LED back there, and put in a somewhat larger screen in front. If it's going to interfere with me going back and forth I might have to rethink the design. What I have will be great in the bedroom.

Since I like my woodwork and suspect it might chafe in the long run I am going to glue some felt strips to the back of the TV.

This is it extended and pointed towards the couch.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:21 PM   #5356

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Just got done installing new flow jet fresh water pump.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:33 PM   #5357

Monaco Owners Club
Iíve spent as much time as life issues and heat would reasonably allow up on the roof of our Ď95 Dynasty prepping it for resealing / painting.

scraped, cleaned, reset and dicoríd all appliance / vent seals and attachment points.

also today I applied proflex RV sealant to all beltlines in preparation for pressure washing the roof tomorrow.

hopefully Iíll be able to tape & prime on Monday, apply 1st coat of deck paint on Tuesday.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:49 PM   #5358

Hammering, Don't look now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Bounder1st View Post
Finally quit procrastinating and changed the A/C compressor. Added the oil to the compressor and cleaned system and recharged. Hopefully that will get rid of the horrible hammering noise when I use the dash air when traveling.

Terry
Have you ever read a Navy Aviation Column called Squeaks and Squawks? They are supposedly the complaints that pilots put on a maintenance request and the Squeaks are the maintenance teams replies. I don't know if they are real or creative writing but they are hilarious. You post about hammering reminded me of one that read "Constant banging behind console like a little man with hammer." Action performed "Took away hammer from little man."

HORNETD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:34 AM   #5359

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello,

Yesterday I replaced caulking along roof seam on the driver's side that I had removed two days ago. Cleaned up areas along driver's side that have the chalking from the roof drifting down the sidewall. The plan is to re-wash the roof and Mop & Glow it this week.

I am also painting the decals. I had gotten most of it done while in Yuma but still had the thin stripes at the top of the rig to do. Should have that done this week also and then there will be a need for a wash and wax.

Frank, Jerry replaced the pump while we were in Yuma and I couldn't believe how much quieter the new one is. Of course, ours is under our bed, not in a bay. Makes a difference.

Grizz, good think that happened close to home.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #5360
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Carpet cleaning - Got the carpet cleaning guy to come out and do the Southwind. From the thick black water, I suspect its never been done.

Carpet now looks and fells very nice and soft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CleanCarpet_2019_1_800.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	257893   Click image for larger version

Name:	CleanCarpet_2019_2_800.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	257894  

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:41 PM   #5361

Winnebago Owners Club
Ran cable from the trailer hookup to the dash and from the solar charge controller to the dash. Used the redundant fuel tank selection switch (we have LPG conversion) so I can switch between alternator and solar as charging source for caravan leisure battery. Used a diode to prevent it leaching from the coach batteries.

Routing cables under the RV is a pain in the ass.
misterduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:40 PM   #5362

After owning the old class A for a month, I finally got around to washing it. Or at least knocking off the first layer. Bleach type cleaner and sponge mop worked a treat and I discovered the beast is a much lighter gray color than I thought. Also that the chrome peeling off the grille wasn't quite as bad as I thought. Most of what I thought was peel was actually moss growing on there. Moss! I have to wonder how many years it's been since someone gave this poor thing at least a rinse.

GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote