Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #533
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Showed my coach to a perspective buyer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred from Ga View Post
How difficult is this job? Would like to do that in our MH.
hi Fred,

It was Easy but I made it harder than it needed to be. I used the sticky strips of LEDs and I soldered all the connections with 18 gauge wire.

I had to glue-gun stick the wires to the plate to keep them from moving and ripping the solder joints out.

I should have used 22 gauge wire and only soldered to the strips and then used wire nuts to tie it all together.

I used single LED strips, one on each side where the fluorescent bulbs used to be, and one down the center. I learned after I was done that you can get double-wide strips.

Now I wish I used those and put only one down each side, then put an LED dimmer on it to control the brightness.

I'm really happy with my results though. It's just you always think of a way that you could have done it better.

I used the warm white LEDs and I'm happy to be rid of the fluorescent "green glow".

Old 03-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #535

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred from Ga View Post
Went with the DW to a fabric store and got material to recover the sofa and cushions on the table. She is good with the sewing stuff, so going to turn her loose on them. Will have pictures soon.
Fred, Are you trying to stay with the original look or are you just getting something you like that goes ok with the rest of the internal decor?

Been thinking it won't be too long before my seat cushions will need to be reupholstered and I am not sure I will find a suitable match I'm wanting to keep her as original as possible.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:27 PM   #536

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
You are soon going change your handle to be rvlessles
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:33 PM   #537

17 year old 5th wheel

Today I ripped out the ugly laminate, removed the back wall in the living room, took out a corner cabinet and removed all the wallboard in the slideout. What I found was some rotten plywood floor in one corner, black mould in another corner, some rotten 2x2s in two walls and some really hazardous wiring leading from an extension card plugged in and leading into a wall, cut off and taped to some other wires. When the part extension cord was unplugged the wiring was still powered, so it had power from both ends! What a mess. I'm trying to rebuild the 36 foot Prairie Schooner because my husband an I really love it.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #538

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
WHAT? You haven't used it yet.
chuckinthebus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:41 AM   #539

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmgirl View Post
Today I ripped out the ugly laminate, removed the back wall in the living room, took out a corner cabinet and removed all the wallboard in the slideout. What I found was some rotten plywood floor in one corner, black mould in another corner, some rotten 2x2s in two walls and some really hazardous wiring leading from an extension card plugged in and leading into a wall, cut off and taped to some other wires. When the part extension cord was unplugged the wiring was still powered, so it had power from both ends! What a mess. I'm trying to rebuild the 36 foot Prairie Schooner because my husband an I really love it.
First off Sometimes rebuilding is most of the fun and you end up with a unit you know inside out.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:43 AM   #540

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
More or Les.

Ain't stopped him in the past so why start now.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #541
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
I've used it a bit! I've spent a lot of time in it, cleaning, fixing and updating! Getting it ready for.....er.....sale.

If It doesn't sell, it ain't gonna sit that's for sure. One trip will be close to "Possum Town". We're gonna hit Vancouver Island.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #542

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
I've used it a bit! I've spent a lot of time in it, cleaning, fixing and updating! Getting it ready for.....er.....sale.

If It doesn't sell, it ain't gonna sit that's for sure. One trip will be close to "Possum Town". We're gonna hit Vancouver Island.
Let me know when and we'll meet up with you. Problem is we have a couple of things going on, off Island. I'll call you so we can harass some RV sites jopintly.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #543
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Great idea!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #544

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Fred, Are you trying to stay with the original look or are you just getting something you like that goes ok with the rest of the internal decor?

Been thinking it won't be too long before my seat cushions will need to be reupholstered and I am not sure I will find a suitable match I'm wanting to keep her as original as possible.
I would like to keep it as close as possible to original but the DW can't stand the same old thing(s) so we are changing the colors and pattern. She wants wood floors, I want carpet, so after looking on this site we have agreed to wood almost to the front then carpet in around the engine. I like the new material she got Saturday so guess it won't be bad after all. Will get pictures on here when done.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #545

Vintage RV Owners Club
Looking forward to the pictures... can I see the old material before you dump it? Just curious and ain't any real reason, just want to see your old pattern/color scheme.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #546

Just returned from a weekend of Tactical reenacting in the mountains north of Sacramento. Heater was working great and we were the chuckwagon for the other folks. getting too old to sleep on the ground in 40 degree weather.