Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #701

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
This is what is on the unit we drive. The air intake is just to the left and slightly above the license plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6070025.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	64812   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6070026.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	64813  

Name:	P6070027.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	64814   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6070024.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	288.7 KB
ID:	64815  

(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #702

Vintage RV Owners Club
Dog Patch.. thats too bad. If I had to reply on RV dealers and Auto Reapir shops to fix my old RV ,,would not own it. The RV industry is not regulated up here and is run by uncrupulous poeple. very few honest people in this industry.
last yr 4 people brought me there old Motorhomes. they were told because the brake pedal went dam near to the floor, that complete brake rebuild was needed. all they all needed were rear brake shoe adjustment and one needed a brake line replaced. all left here with less than $300 bill. RV dealers wanted over $3000 .. when we go camping, I help people in RV parks and campgrounds fix there RVs ..wife hates that, I cant relax and nap yet..only 60..maybe when im 90.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #703
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by olevangaurd View Post
Dog Patch.. thats too bad. If I had to reply on RV dealers and Auto Reapir shops to fix my old RV ,,would not own it. The RV industry is not regulated up here and is run by uncrupulous poeple. very few honest people in this industry.
last yr 4 people brought me there old Motorhomes. they were told because the brake pedal went dam near to the floor, that complete brake rebuild was needed. all they all needed were rear brake shoe adjustment and one needed a brake line replaced. all left here with less than $300 bill. RV dealers wanted over $3000 .. when we go camping, I help people in RV parks and campgrounds fix there RVs ..wife hates that, I cant relax and nap yet..only 60..maybe when im 90.
This wasn't the repair shops issue. Their billing was legitimate. I was there everyday the coach was in the shop and they showed me the issues they were encountering. In reality, I blame the dealer I bought it from for not having everything in working order when I bought it a month ago. Although I went through most of the coach and knew there were a few small things, Ultimately that's my fault for trusting. The key thing that set several costs in motion was that the exhaust brake was seized solid. This meant that stopping the 36,000 lb coach was on the brakes and transmission. Putting that much strain on the brakes wore them out completely on one wheel to the point of metal on metal. Overheating cracked the other front rotor and one of the calipers seized on the rear wheel. When they tried to get the brake cable off the rear caliper, it was seized and twisted off. The chassis manufacturer is no longer in business and a custom brake line was needed. I saw the parts as they took them off. That was only a portion of the bill. DRL's were done. Alternator had a few burnt out diodes that eventually took out my isolator to the batteries. So, rebuilding the alternator and replacing the isolator was in that cost. When they went to put the alternator back on they found problems with the tensioners. One was seized. I had a few ground issues that were also affecting my headlights. Finding and fixing them also added. Many more things were done and I'm not upset with the repair shop as I have been going there for 4 years. They didn't charge me for all hours and gave me a break on labour rate and parts mark up. I'm just upset I had to spend money I wasn't planning on.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #704

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
This is what is on the unit we drive. The air intake is just to the left and slightly above the license plate.
That is the Banks system for Chevy. I had one on my last chevy. I now have the Ford system. Both work very well.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #705

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks, I knew it had a Banks System but had no idea that this was part of it. I will again jack up the front and see if I can get decent pictures of all the stuff under our coach. Still fooling with getting the front airbags to inflate automatically like the back ones do. Trying to figure out the required air lines and controls I have to purchase.

Heh heh heh I just looked at the picture I took and it does say BANKS on that intake thingy.
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #706

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We discovered our big slide topper actually doubles as a awning. Rain was coming in on top of the slide because of bad sagging. When I inspected it up on roof I discovered the big slide topper looked nothing like the small slide topper. After some research I found I could have another awning.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #707
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
We discovered our big slide topper actually doubles as a awning. Rain was coming in on top of the slide because of bad sagging. When I inspected it up on roof I discovered the big slide topper looked nothing like the small slide topper. After some research I found I could have another awning.
Yours must have the "question mark" arms that drop the awning down over the window. That puts the full tension on the topper.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #708

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Yours must have the "question mark" arms that drop the awning down over the window. That puts the full tension on the topper.
Yep, that's the one, it must have come with the coach. The smaller side had on also, I can tell by the hold drills in the slide out frame. It works OK, I may just replace the material.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #709
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Yep, that's the one, it must have come with the coach. The smaller side had on also, I can tell by the hold drills in the slide out frame. It works OK, I may just replace the material.
This is a picture of an old gasser of ours with the same drop awning set up on the main slide. There us a slide lock mid way that you slide up on both arms and then the awning rolls out and down and straps to the slide wall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	64935  
Old 06-08-2014, 11:34 PM   #710

Winnebago Owners Club
Found some dimmable, remote controlled 4" LED potlights that I will be installing in the 5er.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:04 AM   #711

Quote:
Originally Posted by olevangaurd View Post
...when we go camping, I help people in RV parks and campgrounds fix there RVs ..wife hates that, I cant relax and nap yet..only 60..maybe when im 90.
Well, if our paths ever cross in a campground you are more than welcome to do any repairs I need. might even slide a steak on the grill and hand you a beer for the trouble.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #712

2000 Fleetwood Bounder.

I replaced my original radio and cassette with a new Bluetooth/CD stereo and new front speakers. Great investment. Not too bad of a project either.

Cleaned all and replaced some of the exterior clearance lights.

Replaced my rear valve extenders (pain in the butt). Stuck with braided stainless....
Old 06-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #713

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
This is a picture of an old gasser of ours with the same drop awning set up on the main slide. There us a slide lock mid way that you slide up on both arms and then the awning rolls out and down and straps to the slide wall.
Dogpatch please tell me your not towing that semi behind your MH!!!!! I can just imagine what your fuel mileage must be!!
Old 06-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #714
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred from Ga View Post
Dogpatch please tell me your not towing that semi behind your MH!!!!! I can just imagine what your fuel mileage must be!!
Those 8.1 ltrs are amazing aren't they? LOL