Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:35 PM   #729

Pulled the catalectic heater out cleaned the oxygen depletion sensor and re-installed the heater. Works good. Replaced the plastic door knob to the bathroom with a metal one I got from Habit for Humanity and cleaned the ground on the tank sensor panel so it works. I’m now working with Winegard trying to get the satellite to talk with Direct TV. I used to work, now it doesn’t. I’m getting a new roof overlay in two weeks if it isn’t working by then it’s coming off and I’ll do without.
Stan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #730

Winnebago Owners Club
Waiting for LED lights to put in the ceiling now that I have the roof off. Will be easy to run new wires to power the LED. Managed to get 4" potlights with remote and dimmable. Waiting is difficult - patience.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:25 AM   #731

National RV Owners Club
Replaced a burned out tailight
Adjusted the right hand door of the refridgerator which was low and not catching properly.
Repaired damaged trim for fridge door discovered after removal and before re installation
Checked Tire pressures
Old 06-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #732

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I just got the motorhome out and I'm going to start waxing on the upper half of the coach, I have the bottom done.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #733

Struggling on long up hills so...Time to R and R the rear fuel pump. Was not up to man handling a 60 steel tank so I measured carefully and cut a hole. There it is!

Where did the filter go? The pump to pipe hose was sponge!

Vinyl flooring re-laid, all done!! Runs great..Now where's the nearest mountain pass?

Also replaced the plug wires with Accel ceramic, new rotor, cap and coil!
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #734

Tore up the old linoleum in the bath room, cleaned the floor then spread latex sealer down, will put down the new rubber tile tomorrow when the sealer is cured. Also hooked up the "new" antenna for the TV, got it working. Pulled out the main awning to check for condition before heading out for two weeks. Leaving week from today. Big South Fork National Park in Oneida Tenn. Great place to camp. Wife wants to remove carpet from bed room to engine and replace with tile. I like the carpet but after 49 years, day after tomorrow, I have learned it's best to lose a battle and try to win the war.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #735

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did new plugs, wires and air filter, then took her to pass emissions and she did. Ready to get back on the road for another trip!
Old 06-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #736

Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
all that in 3 days? good for you :-)
Old 06-29-2014, 12:35 AM   #737

Fleetwood Owners Club
Added an "entertainment center"

Well sort of. Took the old tube tele out of the bedroom and replaced with a flat screen, DirectTV receiver and a Blu-Ray player.

It's a 22" at the moment but will eventually replace with a 32" or possibly a 42" (wife thinks that would be perfect, I think it would be too big).

The vertical supports run floor-to-ceiling. It is fastened at the ceiling and at the floor as the "wall" is that 2-3mm paneling that just barely holds a picture up. I was worried that it might not survive rough roads but it has held up great.

Next step is to add a Raspberry Pi as my "movie center" (google RaspberryPi XMBC) which will allow me to ditch the boxes of DVDs that we haul around.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #738

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congratulations on your 49th Anniversary Fred. We're planning a carpet removal, and new floor project too.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #739

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We caulked with silicone & screwed the trim back on the rear corners of the RV. Also determined that there is no left rear taillight, but the brake light works. That's the next thing. Plus the old girl goes in to the shop tomorrow to fix the electrical problem & show hubby how to close down drain for water system. Bought a portable charcoal grill today. I need to get a mattress cover for the over the driver & passenger bed. I'm ready to take her out for our July 4th trip.
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:24 PM   #740

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tried out the new ramps I made!

dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #741

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Not technically to the motorhome, but we had a baseplate put on my 2013 Cadillac as we decided to sell my 2006 Saturn tow car. So new car behind 1992 American Eagle!

Carolyn Frederick
Old 07-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #742

Well my Big Girls (37' 89 Fleetwood Limited Edition) entry steps were starting to get saggy when I stepped on them to get inside the Coach. I guessed that it comes with age, so the other day I decided to slide under there and find out what shafts and bearings were worn out so I could determine if I wanted to rebuild them or replace the entire steps.

To my surprise the steps weren't worn out, I found that the entry steps were only bolted to the plywood that formed the bottom inside step of the Coach. And that plywood step was only covered in some thin galvanized sheet metal. The sheet metal had torn at the corners and was allowing the steps to sag every time I stepped on them. Plywood had gotten loose too! Probably held in with staples!

I had been putting up with this sag primarily because it felt like I was stepping on my old sailboat and it had this natural feel to it.

Now over the years I've built armor skid plate type cages for some of my Customers that go behind Motorhome Axles to serve as Impact Armor for tire blowouts. Saves on the Bodywork during a blowout! And I'm always amazed at the flimsy construction I find under Motorhome's in high stress areas. So this flimsy area that the steps were bolted to did not really come as a surprised.

So I fixed it.

I used some heavy wall 1 1/4 inch square tubing and welded up a complete front to back, side to side bracket to mount the steps to rather than to the underside of the plywood step. My goal was to tie them into the framework of the Motor Coach. Mission accomplished in about 3 hours!
Lucky for me I have a large shop full of tools!

Once the frame bracket was done and installed I had to reseal everything. So I ran some RTV along the sheet metal cracks, that were now back together at the corners where it had torn,then sprayed some spray on Bedliner over the whole shebang. No more flexing, so those cracks won't be opening up anymore. But I may get under there and rivet some sheet metal corners over the torn corners then spray on more Bedliner later. Since those corners are no longer a structural member of the entry steps it should be enough!

Now my only problem is I need to retrain brain to lift my foot higher to make that first step up. I keep hitting it with my toes and almost tripping.

They are so solid now the step doesn't give an inch when I use the steps. Kinda unnerving until I get use to it.

Next I'm going to build a cabinet that copies the Coaches Oak Cabinetry that will replace the space the almost worn out recliner is in now. It's too small for me anyway and DW wants a paired set of Wall Hugger Recliners where the couch is now. (No Slide Out)

I've measured it out and I should be able to fit in one of those fake fireplaces in the front of the cabinet and put a flat big screen TV behind that fireplace that will life up electrically out of the top. TV will cover up the window on that side when up, but that's a small price to pay for a better Smart Big Screen TV. When traveling it will be lowered anyway. It's always just the two of us when we travel, so we're not concerned about losing the sleeping areas. The Booth Seating and fold down Table are the next to go. Don't need that sleeping area either.

Anyway, thanks for reading, it's a slow morning!

Time to get out in the shop.