Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #71

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
PeterS - Good job - it's good to see these restorations and those that are not afraid of work.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #72

Installed the stereo last night. OMG! That thing rocks! Now I need to upgrade the speakers, LOL!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatpony View Post
Installed the stereo last night. OMG! That thing rocks! Now I need to upgrade the speakers, LOL!
I have been thinking about a new stereo too, Mine has a casette player in it and we have tons of CD's. did you get one that lets you plug in an iTune player.
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #74

Todays Job, if it does not rain

We want to install the new springs in the levelers, I made a bunch of shims to make the springs longer, Just need help from My neighbor to get them in. This morning I finshed painting the steps, the plan is to re install them on monday or tuesday.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #75

We bought this old 77 19footer a few months ago and this is what i saw when i went to look at it

so far i have installed A/C replaced black and gray water valves repainted the tongue and rear bumper replaced a faucet, did roof repairs, did plastic fender repairs painted the stripes and repaired alot of hail damage on the door side of the camper from the stripes down, got the brake lights working and a ton of cleaning

had it on 2 camp trips so far and still working away on it, plan to paint the whole rig once all repairs are done.
Skip-n-Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip-n-Wendy View Post
We bought this old 77 19footer a few months ago and this is what i saw when i went to look at it

so far i have installed A/C replaced black and gray water valves repainted the tongue and rear bumper replaced a faucet, did roof repairs, did plastic fender repairs painted the stripes and repaired alot of hail damage on the door side of the camper from the stripes down, got the brake lights working and a ton of cleaning

had it on 2 camp trips so far and still working away on it, plan to paint the whole rig once all repairs are done.
it looks great, post some interior pics
Old 09-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #77

1999 FLEETWOOD DISCOVERY 36T.
Have been busy this summer repainting the front of the coach, the rear panel, plus several side bay doors, and repairing/painting a wheel housing panel that blew out in Idaho: base coat and clearcoat. Added a voltage/surge protection unit. Changed transmission fluid: TRANSSYN plus filters. Painting the inside surfaces of the storage bays. And, waxing the coach. In the past we have upgraded the sofa and all the seats in the coach plus the blinds and trim on the windows.
We believe we have have an excellent foundation in the Freightliner chassis and the coach work by Fleetwood. No need to spend a ton of money to have a very enjoyable and economical RV.
Regards, JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
I have been thinking about a new stereo too, Mine has a casette player in it and we have tons of CD's. did you get one that lets you plug in an iTune player.
Yes, you can plug in an iPod / iPhone and control it from the receiver head or remote control (highly recommend the remote), but since I haven't yet drank the Apple cool-aid I don't have any of those devices. It does have an AUX audio in port and a USB port right on the front. Got it at Best Buy on sale.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #79

messed up day, nothing accomplished as planned

We planned to install the new leveler springs and got stopped right after the start. I made a few dozen shims to expand the springs and then the first leveler I started at, (the LF) I noticed the leveler when swung to full up hit the steering control rod, so I decided to adjust the stop. Two hours later I had to get help to break the frozen stop nut loose, we used two very big vise grips to do the job. That was it for me laying on the ground under the RV for today, so we decided to do an easy job and repack the front wheel bearings. Do not have to lie under the RV for that.
Damn after we got the fake chrome nuts off the lugs I found I have 1 1/2 inch lugs on there and no one has a socket wrench that big. We decided to use that handy dandy socket and bar tire change kit that came with the RV, could not move the nuts, got an 3 ft long piece of pipe and slipped it over the bar for more leverage, could not break the nuts loose, That was it for today. My neighbor said he will borrow a big 3/4 inch drive impact tool from a friend and we can break the nuts loose with it. I can not imagine having a flat and trying to change it myself or calling for road service and not being able to break the lug nuts free. So after hours and hours and hours of work and sweat all I accomplished was adjusting the Leveler up stop.

Phatpony tell the make and model and price of that Stereo you got at Best Buy
Old 09-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #80

Pioneer DEH-4400HD on sale for $89.

BTW, my lug nuts are supposed to be torqued to 450-500 lb-ft. You are not going to break those loose without the use of an impact gun.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #81

Fleetwood Owners Club
DEH-4400HD is awesome, ain't it?! One of the very first things I changed out in our Southwind. I too got it on sale, but not quite a good a price as yours. the old radio would lose it's mind/settings whenever you turned it off (at least that was the main reason I told the wife it had to go. shhhh!)

Bill W
Old 09-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #82

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Just finished installing Pergo flooring. Took a couple days and a sore back but we've very pleased.
jmugsshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
it looks great, post some interior pics
the interior had been worked on by the previous owners, new cushions and curtains and some wallpaper work in the galley so the inside was a heck of alot better than the outside but i have done some work in there to.

still has the original style look to it inside
Skip-n-Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill001 View Post
DEH-4400HD is awesome, ain't it?! One of the very first things I changed out in our Southwind. I too got it on sale, but not quite a good a price as yours. the old radio would lose it's mind/settings whenever you turned it off (at least that was the main reason I told the wife it had to go. shhhh!)

Bill W
So far I like it a lot. The only install issue I have is that the power for the radio is on the house 12V, including the keep alive voltage so it doesn't lose it's settings when off. That means if I throw the batt disconnect switch, no more settings. That really irks me. My plan is to wire that (the keep alive wire) to a constant hot on the chassis side so that I don't lose my settings. I wasn't kidding about needing to upgrade the speakers, this head unit puts out 50 watts per channel and I have already located one bad speaker. When I was younger and more interested in car audio, 20 watts per channel was pretty hot and 25 per was unreal. My how things have changed, LOL.