Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #939

$13 bucks fix is excellent love when that happens...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #940

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Replaced the temporary fuse holder for the HWH jacks with a new 40A fuse holder. Heavy duty made for a Maxi fuse unlike the factor which used a standard 40A fuse.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #941

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Put a second shelf in the removed tv opening. Now I have a place for the small laptop I'll be using for GPS. This along with the great cup holders will make this a much more comfortable ride.
Also found a dead fuse and the cruise control is working!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141103_131444rr.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	78205  

Hanging on for the ride!
ukpajf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:31 PM   #942

My 12 year quest is coming to an end!
YEA!

12 Years ago I converted .my 37 foot 1990 Fleetwood Limited from gasoline to diesel.
At the time I could not locate nor afford an Allison 5 speed automatic transmission because they were almost new and selling at a premium $.
SO, I installed an Allison 542 4 speed.

Tonight I finally located and bought a 2005 5 speed Allison 1000. Completed with wiring harness and TCM. There are a few more pieces to get but nothing hard to find. Or expensive!

When I did the engine and transmission swap years ago I re geared the rear end as high as possible so I could live with the 4 speed slush box. No over drive or lock up torque converter made the 542 woefully inadequate for economic highway cruising speeds. The rear end will be perfect for the 5 speed.

For 12 years I've wanted and searched for just the right OD transmission at the right price.
Almost stuck a 6 speed manual in it. But that would mean my wife would not be helping with the driving.

Now withe the re gear of the rear end and the .74 OD I should be able to get good enough fuel mileage I will be able to actually drive it across the Country without breaking the. Bank.

It will be Spring before I get it going with this new gearbox, but at least I'll have the major parts that I need to work with.

And in case your wondering, I do all my own work. So I actually did the conversion by myself. As in ALONE!
I don't recommend that unless you've got a large shop full of heavy lilting equipment.
It was like building a full size ship in a coke bottle.

Yea, I'm a Massocist!
Old 11-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #943

Wow on the conversion
Old 11-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #944

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds like a good project Curtis! Glad you found the tranny you were looking for.

Hanging on for the ride!
ukpajf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #945

Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is a great project.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #946

Send a message via Skype™ to hammer55
nice

now that is a conversion, sounds nice,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
My 12 year quest is coming to an end!
YEA!

12 Years ago I converted .my 37 foot 1990 Fleetwood Limited from gasoline to diesel.
At the time I could not locate nor afford an Allison 5 speed automatic transmission because they were almost new and selling at a premium $.
SO, I installed an Allison 542 4 speed.

Tonight I finally located and bought a 2005 5 speed Allison 1000. Completed with wiring harness and TCM. There are a few more pieces to get but nothing hard to find. Or expensive!

When I did the engine and transmission swap years ago I re geared the rear end as high as possible so I could live with the 4 speed slush box. No over drive or lock up torque converter made the 542 woefully inadequate for economic highway cruising speeds. The rear end will be perfect for the 5 speed.

For 12 years I've wanted and searched for just the right OD transmission at the right price.
Almost stuck a 6 speed manual in it. But that would mean my wife would not be helping with the driving.

Now withe the re gear of the rear end and the .74 OD I should be able to get good enough fuel mileage I will be able to actually drive it across the Country without breaking the. Bank.

It will be Spring before I get it going with this new gearbox, but at least I'll have the major parts that I need to work with.

And in case your wondering, I do all my own work. So I actually did the conversion by myself. As in ALONE!
I don't recommend that unless you've got a large shop full of heavy lilting equipment.
It was like building a full size ship in a coke bottle.

Yea, I'm a Massocist!
Old 11-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #947

Thanks for the Props Guys!
The transmission should be on the truck headed this way this morning. Fingers crossed they don't drop it or the ball.

My wife was discussing her required home upgrades, since I just got a big one for the MH, and we decided to put wood flooring down on the entire bottom floor of our home. Since we already has real wood flooring in the Foyer and dining room she has decided the wood color is too light. So it come out! Well, the dining room is barely used so that wood is almost new still. And guess where it's going when it gets pulled up? Yep! I'm going to re use it in the Motorhome.
The Motorhome can sure use a new floor!

You see, our Big Girl has been our base camp for our Adventures over the last 20 years since we bought her, so the carpet has seen it's better days.

If you look hard enough you'd probably still find sand from Scuba Diving in Key West, Arkansas mud from Kayaking the White and Buffalo Rivers, Utah grit from rock crawling in Moab, Thorns and stickers from West Texas Dirt Bike Rides, Granite dust from Mount Rushmore, Moss from the hiking in the Dells of Wisconsin, Salt from Bonneville Salt Flats Races, Wine spills from Oregon Beach Sunset Parties, Ect ect ect in the cracks and crevases.....

Gosh, I just realized that's only a few of all the places and things we've done with our Motorhome! Brings a tear to my eye thinking about all the good times she's taken us to! Looking forward to being able to do those long trips again.

Since the fuel prices have gone through the roof we've limited our camping to local campgounds and off roading within a tank of fuel. With this new transmission and dropping fuel prices, we should be able to take her cross the Country again and do the fun stuff that's out there.

Having a wood flooring will make it a lot easier to clean up. And it will give me an excuse to toss out the fold out couch, since it's never been slept on as a bed. (Other than my occasional Afternoon Naps in the Shop!) I'm going to replace it with a pair of wall hugger recliners. The MH recliner goes too so I can build a new TV cabinet for the wall in front of the Recliners. The flat screen Smart TV will rise up out of the cabinet top and I'll put an electric fireplace in the front part of the cabninet.

Like I said, We've had the Old Girl paid for for a long time, and we've used her a lot. I replaced the gas engine at 85,000 miles. So she due for some serious upgrades other than the required maintenance. (It had 16,000 on the clock when we bought it second hand!)

I would give you a list of what has been replaced or redone since I bought it, but you'd get bored reading the 10 page list.

I'll post up some updates as the upgrades get done!
Old 11-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #948

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Curtis, was there a great mileage improvement going from Gas to diesel? A one MPG improvement would equate to a tank or two round tripping both coast in North America.
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #949

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What did you do to your old RV today?

Drove her from OK to AR!
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Curtis, was there a great mileage improvement going from Gas to diesel? A one MPG improvement would equate to a tank or two round tripping both coast in North America.

With the 460EFI Gas motor and C6 3 speed tranny it got 5.5 to 6 MPG while flat towing my Expedition Grade Rodeo. (With the Hubs on all for corners dial out.) (rear end geared at 4:88)

On the Diesel 5.9L with the AT542 4 speed and NO Lock Up Torque Converter it got 8 to 8.5 MPG with the same load. (Rearend regeared to 3:56 posi)

I predict that with the 5.9L turning the AT1000 5 speed with OD and Lock Up Torque Converter I should see 12 to 13 with the same load.
With the Adventure bike on the back and no TOAD I'm thinking I may see 14 out of it. With (Rearend regeared to 3:56 posi)

And I can live with 14 MPG.

But I should point out that this Coach has no slide outs. So it's lighter!

Since we put ~ 60K on it I figure if I can get another 40K + miles out of it it will be money well spent. Figuring the Coach I would replace it with is about $85K used! I'll live without the garage in the MH a little longer.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #951

Ford Super Duty Owner
I made a plastic holder to keep my books on DVD from flopping all over the place while underway. Also blew out the water lines after watching the weather channel calling for a bad freeze.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #952

Winnebago Owners Club
As the owner of an '89 RS Trooper, I'd like to see a pic of that Expedition Grade Rodeo included when you post your pics.

Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote