Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:54 AM   #1317

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Checked out all the tires and AirLifts for correct pressures. Filled as needed, Cleaned the rims and inside of Caps. Sat in her and listened to my new stereo. Our local Station was playing Classic Rock on Records, No CD's, so nice sounding.
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2015, 09:27 AM   #1318

Were all your circuits grounded to the frame as the common ground path?

On my '92 Four Winds, all the circuits had wired grounds, but the battery and charging ground path was awful.

The under-hood coach battery was tied to the radiator support with a 10ga wire. The previous owner had a residential refrigerator installed and converted one of the basement boxes to a battery box. Those batteries were connected to the under-hood battery ground post.

The convertor-charger under the back bed was grounded with an 8ga wire to a sheet metal screw tapped into the sheet metal subfloor.

...so the grounding path was engine to frame to radiator support to subfloor to convertor-charger. I had 14.6V at the alternator, 13.6V at the convertor-charger, and 12.6V at the underfloor batteries.

I added 6ga cables with crimped and soldered yellow rings from the alternator mount directly to the under-hood battery, then to the under-floor coach batteries, and then back to the convertor-charger. I now have 14.6V at all when the engine is running.

I also removed the old copper-wound transformer convertor-charger and added an older switching charger (Iota's predecessor) that operates in 2 stages, 14.6V and 13.6V. I have a 90A P-D charger I'll add once I deepen my battery box and add my four Trojan T-605's.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:31 AM   #1319

Yesterday I ate all the cookies in the pantry that i keep hid from the wife.
Ice cream is gone too!
Darn!

Loving that new flat screen!
Old 03-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #1320

Washing, and scrubbing super nasty awning.
RHINOPOWER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #1321

iRV2 No Limits Club
Today, after breakfast, I took her to the propane store and they filled the tank up. So here I am with propane, water and gasoline---I got on I40 and pointed her west from Oklahoma City, clear out to the Hinton exit and south thru Binger, Albert and on to Fort Cobb lake. How sweet it is.
There seems to be a whole bunch of folks that had the same idea HA!
WAGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #1322

Found out I haul too much weight in tools in the big drivers side compartment, busted all the cheap aluminum rivets holding the floor to the side! Sure glad it didn;t drop my stuff on the road, might have flipped the rig running over the 4 ton floor jack and 6 ton jackstands, Lol! Drilled out the ten rivets and put in 1/4x20 doublenutted bolts, that should hold her. Bobby
Old 03-17-2015, 12:58 AM   #1323

Stopped in graphic shop to see about making some decals for our '84 Fleetwood Prowler.

Only having a couple made up to see if I like, and if I do, I'll have a couple more done to update the faded/sun worn graphics on it.

Also replaced the old broken a/c shroud with a new ICON a/c shroud. Replaced old rusty screws w/stainless screws and small fender washers.

The new shroud is made with a thicker plastic, and rear radiator is also now covered(w/cooling slots molded in) to give the new shroud more strength, nicer looks and better protection. It's also warranted for life against breakage.
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #1324

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FastGlassMan,
Hope you used Stainless, JS,
Not sure what I'm going to do today, haven't been out to her yet.
Tim
Old 03-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #1325

Rexhall Aerbus remodel

Have the new Day Nite shades installed, and started ripping out the old carpet for new plush bow to stern. Almost ready to hit the road.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #1326

Vintage RV Owners Club
Installed linen cabinet and vanity in the bathroom.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:26 PM   #1327

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Repaired sealant on roof corners, discovered dealer service did a very sorry job of side sealant R&R ...so bad it will have to be re-done soon.

Then did some loading for a little time on the road ...more loading tomorrow in the rain, then off we go!
Old 03-18-2015, 09:43 PM   #1328

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
FastGlassMan,
Hope you used Stainless, JS,
Not sure what I'm going to do today, haven't been out to her yet.
Tim
Tim , I didn't use stainless. This was just to make sure I get her back to NY with all my stuff in there! I have been doing alot of crawling around underneath and have quite a list of things to do when we get home, mostly finishng needlescaling the heavy rust off and cleaning up wiring and hoses, etc. Will be taking out all the tanks and sandblasting/painting the frame. Replacing all the fuel and water lines to the rear heater and some other stuff , in between taking her upstate in between work. Will be trying to make sure the motorhome will be at least as trouble free as she has been so far! Bobby
Old 03-19-2015, 07:41 AM   #1329

You guys remember I had a fuel line leak to the genny, I repaired that now I have to look and see if the genny fuel pump is any good. It will run fine going down the road with the coach running , but stumbles and sometimes quits when the engine is off running the a/c. The line I had repaired was t-ed off of the main fuel line, so i'm thinking maybe the fuel pump on the genny is bad, going to check it out today. If it is bad, I won't be buying one from a rv place as they are not worth $110-150, I bought one to replace my transfer pump setup that I like to keep around for emergencies. It cost $9.95 on ebay and is within the 4-5 psi the genny uses. Will probably buy 3-4 of them to keep around. Bobby
Old 03-19-2015, 08:08 AM   #1330

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I C, I've been replacing w/stainless as I go along as needed. I have to get a rivet gun ( a new tool). My water tanks are inside under the rear beds and still looks new. Belive it or not but there was a lot of wood dust, shavings in the compartment so I vacuumed that all up and wiped down the tanks. Guess they don't clean that up @ the Factory.
I have been really lucky with hardly any rust under her or anywhere really. I have too just clean 34 years of dirt & sand off with a wet rag. Let it dry and shoot it with Primer then Black paint. I would really like to clean the top of the 454 lots of dust and dirt, no leaks but it just doesn't look good. The Valve covers are brown with dust and road grime instead of the nice Greenish-blue. (anal retentive) The paint is still there and would look so nice cleaned. Not sure how too with out getting the interior wet. Painter's Plastic sheeting? "Pressure-washer"?
I tried staining my Dog-House Shelf yesterday. I thought I would use Teak Oil but it was way to lite and its Pine so it hardly darkened the wood. I'll have to go look for something Darker, O boy Shopping
Really Glad your having a Great time down there, seen any gators under her when you went to go under? I'd Freak.
I replaced my Pump last year thinking that was my problem, I got it at Auto Zone $8.00 off the shelve. Wasn't the problem though, I kept the old one for back up. Mine was a Capacitor, Breaker Assy-ing points and 2 plugs that I fouled out. I'm still having a problem with the Electric Choke but Cummins/Onan said to bring her back and they will take care of it. Currently I have too start the Gennie from the unit, play with the choke manually and after she warms up shes run's fine. How many hours on your's? Mine is just over 300
Take care