Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #1345

Replaced the retraction springs on the drivers side front HWH jack. The new springs didn't fix the retraction issue so I'll be ordering a new jack.

Mike
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2015, 07:02 PM   #1346

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sanded the 2 front rims down by hand and painted them with spray cans a little darker tan then the MH. Lost one of the stupid simulators on the way down from NY and not buying new ones, will do the rears tommorrow. It looks ok to Sally so it's fine with me! Less things to worry about. Will probably go to a truck chrome shop when I get home and put chrome lug nut covers on . Oh and I sanded and painted the propane tank, so I don't get the evil eye when I go to fill it down here, it was pretty shabby. If Frank doesn't get too busy this week he is going to teach me about the water heater and furnace, maybe see if we can get the fridge to work on LP. We shall see, i'm just happy to be here finally enjoying myself! Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #1347

Workhorse Chassis Owner
aboatguy, Have you lubricated the jack rams and exercised them a few times?
Old 03-22-2015, 09:29 PM   #1348

Finished building and installing the heater core/ AC coil box, and got it sealed up.

Pulled out the locked up Smog /AIR pumps, and some related items.
Looking around for some info on cleaning up the vacuum line mess.

Much easier to tighten the belt with the smog pumps gone.
Really opens up the real estate in there with it gone. Worth doing just for that.
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:29 PM   #1349

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Went to the storage lot and started it up and let it run for a bit.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:43 AM   #1350

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
The Jayco is in the midsts of a major rebuild. My high school buddy came up from Florida and he and I found major water damage to the roof and side walls. I thought the rig was a goner. No, said he, and in a week he had the entire roof assembly removed, damaged wall panels removed and in three months rewired the rig, rebuilt the roof and put a new membrane on the roof, installed a new Amish cooling unit in the Norcold refrigerator and got rid of a lot of rotten timber in the walls. All I have to do now is finish up the trim work, reinstall the two Fantastic Vents, and remove the tires and have the local tire shop install five Goodyear Marathons. I haven't been in the best of health lately and his assistance was a godsend. He had to go back home to Florida, he's now in Key Largo rebuilding a sailboat for another friend. God bless him!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:04 AM   #1351

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGlassMan View Post
Sanded the 2 front rims down by hand and painted them with spray cans a little darker tan then the MH. Lost one of the stupid simulators on the way down from NY and not buying new ones, will do the rears tommorrow. It looks ok to Sally so it's fine with me! Less things to worry about. Will probably go to a truck chrome shop when I get home and put chrome lug nut covers on . Oh and I sanded and painted the propane tank, so I don't get the evil eye when I go to fill it down here, it was pretty shabby. If Frank doesn't get too busy this week he is going to teach me about the water heater and furnace, maybe see if we can get the fridge to work on LP. We shall see, i'm just happy to be here finally enjoying myself! Bobby
Hey Bobbie,
What did you use so you didn't get the paint on the tires? Painters tape? I'm not sure but I think I like mine with out the Hub Caps but they would need the same as you did? They are not that bad but new paint I think would look better. Bummer you lost a cap on the way down. The PO of ours had a 2nd set of caps that went with her when we bought her, shoot me a picture and I'll look too see if they are the same you can have one. Glad your enjoying the time you and the Mrs is having. I find I get relaxed while I'm working on her. Get 2 things done at the same time
Have a great Day,
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1340.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	89321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1344.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	89322  

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #1352

Well today I took our 94 Intruder in to the local RV repair facility for a EMPD liquid roof overlay. They will clean the existing rubber roof, prime the rubber, reseal all hardware and apply the EPDM coating. After 21 years the existing roof is in remarkably good shape. It has had zero maintenance over it’s lifetime and was just beginning to show it’s age. It has been under cover for most of it’s life when not in use which I’m sure accounts for it’s condition. We moved two years ago and no longer have an RV Port. Considering it’s age I decided I either had to seal it or sell it so listed it on Craigs List. While describing all it’s attributes to a potential buyer I realized I couldn’t replace it with anything I could afford so decided to keep it. We’ll see how this works but I’m hoping it will buy me another 5 or 6 years, maybe more if I put up another RV Port.
Stan
StanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:41 PM   #1353

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The people who bought Tinker from us are planning to get her rims powder coated to save chasing after wheel covers that depart at 65+ MPH.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #1354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magumba View Post
aboatguy, Have you lubricated the jack rams and exercised them a few times?
HWH doesn't recommend lubrication

I tried cleaning it a few times with detergent and water. Then I tried some wd40, No joy on self storing but it actually seems to be getting harder to raise (more force necessary on the lever I'm using to raise it) and now its making a loud noise when it lowering (IE raising the coach).
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #1355

Spliced hard to reach wire on Suburban furnace

Thought I was going to have to dismantle the SF 30 to replace a wire to the gas valve (darn mice), got lucky and was able to replace after disconnecting the gas line and sliding forward about 8 inches. Just enough room to get the spade connector on the gas valve with 11" forceps. HUGE relief for me
firenfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:37 PM   #1356

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Hey Bobbie,
What did you use so you didn't get the paint on the tires? Painters tape? I'm not sure but I think I like mine with out the Hub Caps but they would need the same as you did? They are not that bad but new paint I think would look better. Bummer you lost a cap on the way down. The PO of ours had a 2nd set of caps that went with her when we bought her, shoot me a picture and I'll look too see if they are the same you can have one. Glad your enjoying the time you and the Mrs is having. I find I get relaxed while I'm working on her. Get 2 things done at the same time
Have a great Day,
Tim
I used to get a piece of cardboard about two feet by two feet. Place it over the tire lightly tap it with a hammer to make a outline. Cut it out. then just move it around the tire and paint the rim.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:45 AM   #1357

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club

Brilliant, I never though of that. DAH!! I use old boxes for spray Booth's for small object's I'm repainting in the back yard, never thought of that. I'll do it.
My caps had 2 peg's that you line up too then a threaded knob I drilled out the pegs and used 2 1/4in. bolts and nuts with lock washers. I think it will take a Act of God to have them fall off.

Thanks,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:23 AM   #1358

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatguy View Post
HWH doesn't recommend lubrication

I tried cleaning it a few times with detergent and water. Then I tried some wd40, No joy on self storing but it actually seems to be getting harder to raise (more force necessary on the lever I'm using to raise it) and now its making a loud noise when it lowering (IE raising the coach).
HWH is the biggest manufacturer of jacks. They are a company that is easy to work with and will many times honor a warranty that has expired. There is one place that I found that they are not up to par. They use jacks that bend more often than any other brand. Once the shaft bends, they will go down but will not retract. (power down springs up.) That is why I put Big Foot jacks on my motorhome. They power down and power up. Plus they have four motors and if one failed (never happened to me) you still had three jacks working.