Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #1359

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Painted Wheel Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Hey Bobbie,
What did you use so you didn't get the paint on the tires? Painters tape? I'm not sure but I think I like mine with out the Hub Caps but they would need the same as you did? They are not that bad but new paint I think would look better. Bummer you lost a cap on the way down. The PO of ours had a 2nd set of caps that went with her when we bought her, shoot me a picture and I'll look too see if they are the same you can have one. Glad your enjoying the time you and the Mrs is having. I find I get relaxed while I'm working on her. Get 2 things done at the same time
Have a great Day,
Tim
Hey Tim, I am a little hard headed when I do something and enjoy doing paint /bodywork, I took my time and made like 4 trips around each wheel with painters tape, about 3 1/2- 4 " from the rim and sprayed them. The tires are new so I was careful. But first after sanding, I wiped the wheels and tires down good with Acetone otherwise that blue tape won't stick. After they are painted, I pull the tape off after like 10 minutes and after an hour carefully rewipe the inevitable overspray off the tire it comes off clean with the acetone. Looks much better than rusty white and not doing the caps again. Probably going to find 15/16" or whatever chrome caps for the lugs and axle nuts when I get home and figure out a way to mount little spot mirrors on the centers. I had some white paint and painted the ends of the lugs, Sally said polka dots! Oh well. Going to check my plugs and wires on the engine and put the hose back on for the air intake, didn't have time before we left, I suspect that the engine is not liking the hot air coming into the air cleaner without that hose over the top of the radiator as the milage dropped as the weather warmed up. Still runs great but the milage went down from like 9 at the begining to 6 1/2-7. going to try and put a few pics in here. Bobby
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150323_104340.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	89537   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150323_104444.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	89538  

Name:	20150323_104355.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	89539  
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 04:45 PM   #1360

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Really painting wheels what I have done before (admittedly with car wheels) is get a deck of cards you can push the card between tire and rim (enough) so the over spray hits the cards
nij_tp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:48 PM   #1361

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Should read, re painting wheels (damn you auto correct )
nij_tp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:16 PM   #1362

Vintage RV Owners Club
Finished up new bathroom vanity. Mounted side view cameras and 4 channel monitor, rebuilt black water tank drain valve and tested the fresh water tank and pump.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:19 PM   #1363

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nij_tp View Post
Really painting wheels what I have done before (admittedly with car wheels) is get a deck of cards you can push the card between tire and rim (enough) so the over spray hits the cards
Another Husler with a card trick, hmph! LOL. Bobby
Old 03-25-2015, 06:23 PM   #1364

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice work, coming together great! Now that I figured out how to post pics , i'll do it more often. Bobby
Old 03-26-2015, 06:32 AM   #1365

Quote:
Originally Posted by nij_tp View Post
I must be the weird one. When I paint my rims with the tires still mounted I wipe the rubber down with vasaline. Then spray the rims without tape.

Once the paint dries I wash the tires off with soapy water at the car wash. Paint doesn't stick to vasaline!

Plus the tires look new after I clean off the vasaline. Doesn't even take a thick coat either. Try it on an old tire and see. Old Hot Rodders trick.

Oh and dish washing soap in hot water works best for cutting the greasy vasaline if you don't want to drive to the car wash and take a chance of slinging vasaline onto the bodywork. ..
Curtis in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:53 AM   #1366

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
I must be the weird one. When I paint my rims with the tires still mounted I wipe the rubber down with vasaline. Then spray the rims without tape.

Once the paint dries I wash the tires off with soapy water at the car wash. Paint doesn't stick to vasaline!

Plus the tires look new after I clean off the vasaline. Doesn't even take a thick coat either. Try it on an old tire and see. Old Hot Rodders trick.

Oh and dish washing soap in hot water works best for cutting the greasy vasaline if you don't want to drive to the car wash and take a chance of slinging vasaline onto the bodywork. ..
Hey Curtis that is a great idea! Comes to memory of when I worked in a bodyshop that the owner showed me how to do hard to remove stuff like that on a repaint. Only he had me carefully put rubbing compound on emblems and things he didn't want paint to stick to, and it would just wash off, same idea but different. Bobby
Old 03-26-2015, 06:59 AM   #1367
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
I probably wouldn't be using Vaseline on your tires! It's a petroleum product and as I understand, petroleum products dry out the rubber in your tires.
I googled Vaseline and read the link attached below. The link has to do with your skin but one part mentions the product penetrates and I would think that can't be good for your tires. Your process is a good one but I would try to use a product not petroleum based.

The link in an interesting read though. I learned something new.

Petroleum Jelly May Not Be As Harmless As You Think
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:05 AM   #1368

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Great Idea's,
I'll start with trying the cardboard, if there is a lot of over spray I'll incorporate the other trick's. I'll try the card trick and tape and maybe some news paper.
My center caps "Blue" is Reflector tape, and so is the strips on the sides really shows up with headlights hitting it.
This is it,if you click on the Picture I believe it will change to close up. The Clearance lights are not on just refection, and a nice shine to the old gal too...
Tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1885.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	89658  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:15 PM   #1369
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Great Idea's,
I'll start with trying the cardboard, if there is a lot of over spray I'll incorporate the other trick's. I'll try the card trick and tape and maybe some news paper.
My center caps "Blue" is Reflector tape, and so is the strips on the sides really shows up with headlights hitting it.
This is it,if you click on the Picture I believe it will change to close up. The Clearance lights are not on just refection, and a nice shine to the old gal too...
Tim
Looks Cool. Tim!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:55 AM   #1370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
I probably wouldn't be using Vaseline on your tires! It's a petroleum product and as I understand, petroleum products dry out the rubber in your tires.
I googled Vaseline and read the link attached below. The link has to do with your skin but one part mentions the product penetrates and I would think that can't be good for your tires. Your process is a good one but I would try to use a product not petroleum based.

The link in an interesting read though. I learned something new.

Petroleum Jelly May Not Be As Harmless As You Think
Well let's see, I'm 64 now and learned that trick when I was 16 and have never had an issue with any of the tires I've done that to
So what's the math say?

Hmmm, I guess the Safety Nazis weren't watching me close enough
Either that or I cleaned the tires off after I painted the rims well enough that it wasn't an issue.
But, back then I kept my tires clean with a mix of baby oil, water and liquid dishwasher soap mixed in a hand pump sprayer.

I don't advocate leaving PJ one the rubber any longer than it takes for the paint on dry. But I guess one could use Crisco if they didn't want to harm any Dinosaurs.

Okay folks Disclaimer: don't use Petroleum Jelly as it may cause harmful carcenougenitics to harm your tires if left on the tire. Take no head to the facts that tires are subjected to petroleum products daily from pollution spewing internal combustion vehicles.
Playing cards are a better option as the inhibit the use of said cards for gambling. But be sure to use used card deck so as not to give the Gambling Industry false hopes that their demographics are gaining in numbers by the additional rush on gambling paraphernalia.

, I guess I'm in a weird mood this morning
I don't know about you guys, but my tires usually wear out on the tread from use, before the sidewall rubber breaks down from petroleum jelly assaults.

But live and learn.
Your Nanny State is watching you.
Curtis in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:40 AM   #1371

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Great Idea's,
Tim
I really like the reflective tape Tim, gonna try to do something similar instead of trying to duplicate the winnie stripes, Thanx! Back when I was driving truck they called them Chicken Lights! Guys used to line their entire trailers with them, but before LED's they had problems, and in communist states like Connecticut, they'd get you on the scales and any light whether it was DOT required or not , if they didn't like you they would give you seperate tickets for each bulb that didn't light! Got expensive! Glad I don't have to do that anymore! Bobby
Old 03-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #1372

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know , but I put my money on not damaging any tires by getting petroleum products on them, if you clean it off within 6 months! If it was going to damage anything quickly, we'd have vitually every tractor-trailer on the road spitting tires out from under them everyday, which is not the case as there aren't that many road trucks using recaps anymore! Let's see, blow a wheel seal and throw the tire away, nah! Bleed brakes and throw them away , nah! It just doesn't happen immediately! Also I have had more kinds of chemicals on my hands then I can name, and they might be like sandpaper like Sally tells me , but no adverse affects after cleaning parts and such. And i'll be 60 in August, so i'll let the safety Sams' deal with that too! Bobby