Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2015, 04:54 AM   #1653

Thor Owners Club
onan generator

Got the onan emerald plus running today after installing new starter and getting the old gas out of it because it had not been run for a long time. Now everything on the old lady is now working like it should! always something to do on these RV's! lol
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 05:46 AM   #1654

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmasters View Post
ok I park my MH into plug at the house, I do start it during the months of parking and run for about 15 minutes, also generator the same time.
I took it for a long drive a couple days ago and it was hot as you know what, so I turned on generator while pulled over to get some needed extra air and seems like I have no power to run AC, also my jacks will not power under gen.
they the A/C works fine when pulled in as do the jacks

any idea

1997 bounder 30amp
You check the breakers on gen,,, also your gen needs to be exercised monthly run gen with ac on and as much load as possible during exercise. You should warm up gen before loading and you should run with no load for 5 min before shuting down.. If you don't run equipment such as ac when exercising you are just running motor....
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:45 AM   #1655

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmasters View Post
ok I park my MH into plug at the house, I do start it during the months of parking and run for about 15 minutes, also generator the same time.
I took it for a long drive a couple days ago and it was hot as you know what, so I turned on generator while pulled over to get some needed extra air and seems like I have no power to run AC, also my jacks will not power under gen.
they the A/C works fine when pulled in as do the jacks

any idea

1997 bounder 30amp
My unit is a couple years older but my generator has to be plugged into the power outlet in the MH for everything 110 to work. I physically unplug the cable from shore power and plug into the generator receptacle and vise versa when parking. YMMV but it is a definite maybe. Lotsa luck sorting this out.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #1656

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DH changed oil and filter in generator yesterday and when rain stops we will run it and load it to exercise it. We also need to plug the shore power line into the gen to do this. Do know to load it for about 20 mins and then unload or 5 and then shut off.

We just bought this about 6 weeks ago and have been tuning things up on it. Don't think the oil was ever checked in the gen or changed. It does work and you can run things off it but we want to maintain it correctly now it is ours. It is a learning process for newbies like us.

Got the engine oil and filter changed, flushed fluids, greased what is supposed to be greased, had the cruise control fixed, and now need to figure out why the lighter does not work. Radio keeps going on and off too. May need to replace it but going to remove it first (then can get to the lighter better) and make sure everything is tight. Have 2 loose wires so may be the problem.

Otherwise, when I get the time I will start getting rid of the oxidation. Going to try the back end to see if I want to do this whole job or not. I feel like I do but it will be a learning process. I have removed several of the bad loose decals but plan to leave most as they are not that bad yet.

It just needs some TLC and then it will look better. Wish you all luck with your projects. Looking through some of these threads it is amazing what some of you are doing. My contribution will be less technical. Have a great day, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:05 PM   #1657

installed forward pull down bunk.
follow link
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/1996-...ml#post2626430
jerseybigfot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #1658

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Traded it off

I traded mine off and upgraded to a newer Motor Home.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:43 AM   #1659

Ford Super Duty Owner
I did Also!!
divad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:02 PM   #1660

Got the new two camera rear view set up today but had to make and install a now not missing sway bar mount. So tomorrow. Also want to get the air horns working. One gallon air tank and a Monroe compressor. Should get some attention.
Abitbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #1661

American Coach Owners Club
6 new Michelins going on Thursday !
My old Coach needs Nothing for a change ! Till I take it out next week !

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #1662

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sunday took off the vent covers and cleaned the vents and debre from around covers. They were really dirty and lot of leaves and twigs under there. Washed everything, checked caulk around vents, reinstalled covers. Looks much better from inside.

Ran generator test, removed a lot of plastic pieces that had not been completely removed by previous owners and added some more supplies to basement storage (some things we will probably need). Cleaned inside windows, washed floors, and got it ready for first camping trip.

Ordering grill and tank tomorrow, then will just need to pack clothes and food, and away we go when the time comes.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:53 AM   #1663

Got my cameras mounted both sides just back from the mirrors. Everything tests OK. But the console tray where the monitor is going is a bit weathered. So it is now in pieces with one piece soaking in the sink to soften it up because it had warped. Another piece sanded and coated in polyurethane cause it had dried out. And the plastic base washed and ready.
Abitbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #1664

Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mostly uneventful vacation. Just prior to departure I found a left over from winter water leak on the toilet supply line. This has been a reoccurring issue so I went flexible this time in hopes of staving off future issues. We also had a tiny drip from the sink strainer that was a quick fix with a few basics from the hardware store. Dropped and changed engine and gen oils, and topped up the tranny (leaking pan gasket).
Upon return, we dove into the cleanup. Cleaned all the awnings, and am presently treating them with UV and repellant. Two items to check off before the next trip.
1). Replace the step rug covers.
2). Drop the trans pan, fluid and filter and replace the leaking gasket.

Happy Camping!
RamblinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #1665

Combed the condenser coil fins out and removed the A/C cover to clean the "dirty side". Now I'm trying to decide if I should replace it or patch it as it is very brittle. A few cracks the previous owner(s) have duct taped on the inside to keep them from running. I would use fiberglass cloth and epoxy myself,, if I repair it. Hundered bucks or so for a new one.
Traxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #1666

What did you do to your old RV today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx View Post
Combed the condenser coil fins out and removed the A/C cover to clean the "dirty side". Now I'm trying to decide if I should replace it or patch it as it is very brittle. A few cracks the previous owner(s) have duct taped on the inside to keep them from running. I would use fiberglass cloth and epoxy myself,, if I repair it. Hundered bucks or so for a new one.

Do yourself a favor and replace it. I learned the hard way. I bought my coach used, and noticed some cracks on the shroud, did a little patch job. On or first big trip the shroud blew off. Luckily it was on a highway with little traffic, and did not hit any cars. I got very lucky. Replace the other as soon as I found a camping world.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote