Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #2451

Installed a new steering damper and retorqued the front wheels, and then did a test drive. With new shocks and steering damper and re-torqued front axle nuts, the handling is sharply improved.
BurienTimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #2452

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bomoe1 View Post
Had all 6 new tires installed last week and...
Well, So far this week:
Power washed the roof and all sides...What a huge difference
Replace the Alternator and all 5 Belts...Whoever designed this Alt setup is absolutely nuts, especially in a class A motorhome.
Changed engine oil and filter, air filter, PCV, Breather element and cleaned carb. Lubed entire coach including all hinges and door locks.
Finished converting all exterior bulbs (except front Turn Lamps) to LED
All new side marker lenses (couldn't even consider them amber or red, just about clear from age) and Porch Lamp, New Bargman LED Taillight assemblies
Installed 4 new speakers inside
Repaired AM/FM antennae , Was flopping around due to stripped bolt.
Took off all bedding for the washing machine
Replaced door latch for Bathroom door.
Installed cabinet door "keepers" (Doors would creep open and closet lights would stay on)
Scrubbed the fridge and freezer Never store your RV with the Fridge doors closed YUK.
Re-Attached fridge woodgrain panel on front door.
Replaced electric step covers, 10 years of life out of the last set...couldn't go wrong.
My wife "smart-tiled" the backsplash in the kitchen and rear sink area. Looks like a totally different interior from the old wallpaper.
Tomorrow, clean, clean. clean. I started cleaning and vacuuming the outside luggage bays.
Sunday we are taking " Bruce, the magic Motorhome" to New Jersey for the NY Giants vs. New Orleans Saints game. Our first Safe trip in quite a few years, after keeping him on a permanent spot for 4 years and then storing it the last 2. Next week I will go over everything again, Check belt tension and re-torque lug nuts. There is always something to do on a 27 yar old motorhome.
I like the tile work that your wife did she did a great job .I just put granite counters in and wife wanted me to put in some mosaic tiles on walls but not sure if it would stick to the wall good. the way your's come out I like it and will be a lot lighter. I also like the led light's was it hard to change over? Like you stated it's 27 years old and will always be updating, mine is 28 years trying to keep up with the times but I enjoy every minute.
steppinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:43 AM   #2453

Just a lurker here. She DID do a GREAT job. Looks very attractive. and all I did today was show a visiting trio of preschoolers every neck and cranny of our MoHo. They have more questions than a reporter covering the presidential race. I even had to show them both sides of the sink and all the compartments underneath.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:48 AM   #2454

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_sie View Post
Just a lurker here. She DID do a GREAT job. Looks very attractive. and all I did today was show a visiting trio of preschoolers every neck and cranny of our MoHo. They have more questions than a reporter covering the presidential race. I even had to show them both sides of the sink and all the compartments underneath.
THAT'S A JOB IN IT SELF LOL
Old 09-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #2455

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ro--sie,

The MH is much more fascinating that a election any day!
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:46 PM   #2456

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
ro--sie where ya been? Glad to c ya back,
Tried my hand at Bondo with little to no luck. The spray can I used is almost a perfect match for the front end of the PA
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #2457

Got the old (factory) exhaust system removed from the '97 Mountain Aire yesterday in preparation to install the new Banks Power Pack system. Took far longer than expected due to a single air injection pipe fitting. The driver side fitting is mounted at a bad angle and is difficult to get a 1-1/16" wrench on it. After hitting it multiple times with heat (MAP gas) and PB Blaster it still wouldn't budge. The pipe is no longer available from Ford or any aftermarket supplier I could find , if it were I would have just cut it and ordered a new one. The pipe installs into an adapter fitting so I decided to cut through that, then I could remove the pipe assy and have better access to separate the pipe from the adapter. After hitting it with the air hammer, then wedging in the sawzall and cutting through part of it I tried the wrench again, and she decided to give up and come loose! What a PIA! I probably spent 3hrs on that thing.
I was very happy that none of the manifold bolts broke. I used a 1/2" impact gun and had no issues getting them out. For the few that were behind the shock tower I used a 1/2" ratchet and a 3lb sledge.

Hopefully I'll be able to get the new headers and pipe installed Wed afternoon.

I also recently picked up a nice Kar Kaddy SS tow dolly (folding tongue and ramps, hydraulic surge brake system). Was planning on towing the Saab, but a friend wanted to clear one of his cars out of his driveway, so I picked up his '99 Saturn SL1 (one-owner, base model, no power anything including steering, but does have AC) with a 5spd manual and only 74k miles - for $500! At only 2200lbs it should tow a little better than the 3500lb Saab.

Busy week with getting the Banks system installed as well as a partial rebuild on the 460 in the jetboat. Guess running WOT for 15min is a bit much even for a BBF with a 10qt pan and high volume pump. But, only one bad rod bearing (#8, last to get oil), so just turn the crank another 0.010", check the rod sizing, and button her back up.
Guess I won't be doing that again, at least not until I'm ready to upgrade it to a 532ci!
Old 09-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #2458

Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Final Images Kitchen and bath backsplash

We had so many compliments on the smart tiles that my wife and I installed, mostly Her LOL . Here is the final images of the completed job, Now she wants to recover all of the walls, not smart tiles everywhere, just a more updated look over the existing wallpaper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160919_132502[1].jpg
Views:	79
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	139345   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160919_132511[1].jpg
Views:	75
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	139346  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160919_132527[1].jpg
Views:	95
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	139347   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160919_132543[1].jpg
Views:	87
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	139348  

1bomoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #2459

Quote:
We had so many compliments on the smart tiles that my wife and I installed, mostly Her LOL . Here is the final images of the completed job, Now she wants to recover all of the walls, not smart tiles everywhere, just a more updated look over the existing wallpaper.
Looks great!
I used the same tiles in the Gulf Stream's kitchen area just prior to selling it. Made a huge difference in the look of the interior.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #2460

Changed the Oil, Changed the fuel pump for the Onan generator (kept shutting down every 20 min). Drove the RV around, wanted to hit the open road..went to Lowes, came home.
clarkst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:58 AM   #2461

Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinstone View Post
I like the tile work that your wife did she did a great job .I just put granite counters in and wife wanted me to put in some mosaic tiles on walls but not sure if it would stick to the wall good. the way your's come out I like it and will be a lot lighter. I also like the led light's was it hard to change over? Like you stated it's 27 years old and will always be updating, mine is 28 years trying to keep up with the times but I enjoy every minute.
The LED changeover was actually quite easy, I started by purchasing The Bargman LED Tail light assemblies because my original Reflect-o-lite lenses were cracked on one side and the sockets were shot. That company has been out of business for years, I then replaced all the side marker lamp assemblies and put 194 LED replacement bulbs in them. LED 194's in all the upper clearance lamps was next. In researching the changeover, I found that if your Flashers do not work properly (Too Fast, Too slow, or not at all) you must change the flasher in the fuse panel over to a LED flasher. The benefits are a much more noticeable light, brighter and A big reduction in the draw on your charging system. Hope that this helps
1bomoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #2462

Insulation/sound proofing under the doghouse. New circuit board for the roof AC relays. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #2463

Quote:
The LED changeover was actually quite easy, I started by purchasing The Bargman LED Tail light assemblies because my original Reflect-o-lite lenses were cracked on one side and the sockets were shot. That company has been out of business for years, I then replaced all the side marker lamp assemblies and put 194 LED replacement bulbs in them. LED 194's in all the upper clearance lamps was next. In researching the changeover, I found that if your Flashers do not work properly (Too Fast, Too slow, or not at all) you must change the flasher in the fuse panel over to a LED flasher. The benefits are a much more noticeable light, brighter and A big reduction in the draw on your charging system. Hope that this helps
Thanks I know about the led flasher but on the clearance light's did you have to do any thins special? It seem's like were working on the same thing to our coached to make them more modern looking. I was looking into doing the exterior face lift next.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:39 PM   #2464

Ford Super Duty Owner
Took our new to us 2009 Thor Magellan now fully loaded to loves truck stop and got weighed. Did 3 weighings, 1 overall, 1 right and 1 left. 700lb UNDER weight :and less than 100lb left to right. The 100 lb light right side didn't have food loaded so we should be spot on.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote