Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 11:21 PM   #4775

303 Aerospace Protectant

After polishing the RV last year, the gelcoat needed some love again.

Used almost an entire bottle of 303 Protectant, and she shines. She'll never shine like a clear coated RV, but better than nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	303 Polish Side sm.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	238687  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #4776

Vintage RV Owners Club
what did i do to the ole RV today

4 yrs ago when I got the 92 Itasca DP it needed batterys,.I found some used ones that were starting it ok till last week. I priced out 3 new 650 CCA batterys
here in town at all 5 places that sell them.all 5 wanted $150 to 175 each.
a friend that owns logging trucks said that International dealer in Edmonton sells 1250 CCA Batterys for $88 each ,so I went in and got 3.
what a difference it made in starting. it barely turns over now and Vroom.

the RV Batterys are ok for now I found 2 big 6 Volts at a garage sale that load test 100%. added those to the one New RV battery I had .
Old 03-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #4777

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
After polishing the RV last year, the gelcoat needed some love again.

Used almost an entire bottle of 303 Protectant, and she shines. She'll never shine like a clear coated RV, but better than nothing.
Did you do the entire coach with 606 or just the stripes?? I didn't think 303 would work as a wax, that it would attract dirt and such.
1Motorhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:06 PM   #4778

Used the 303 Spray Wax. From what I read online from 303, it is gelcoat safe.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:14 AM   #4779

Gulf Streamers Club
Would like to hear back on your results with this 303 spray wax. I have used the protectant and liked the results on tires. Did not know they made a spray wax. Thanks.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:31 AM   #4780

on the Road since Saturday first time on the computer during this eventful trip had to have a tow after losing all brakes, got that fixed and heater core started leaking bypassed that and headed to the Grand Canyon we are in Williams this ,orning waiting for the snow to stop and head to Las Vegas all is good Happy Camping
Greg20d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #4781

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Painting Decals

Morning,

Have been dealing with some winds out here in Yuma so it has slowed me down a bit. Was asked about using a filler to fill in the cracks in the decals prior to painting them. I had NOT done so but the driver's side was in worse shape so decided to use the filler. Very satisfied with the results. Looks very good compared to what I have done so far and I may go back and redo the worse of the ones I already did do. Here are some pictures.

This particular decal was badly cracked. At the bottom it was pealing away and left many areas I had to completely remove parts of it. Filling it in has left it looking smooth and even. If you look VERY closely, you can see some imperfections but it sure looks better and I am happy with the results. Will post more pictures as I continue.

At this point, I will use filler on ALL the decals since the results have turned out so nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Decal grey.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	238815  
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:48 PM   #4782

Fleetwood Owners Club
Today was very lucky. Woke up at around 8:30 am, generally its a little around 7am looked at the clock and it as is usually red LED I tried focusing my eyes as I thought I may be going color blind, thanks Mom. But the more I focused I saw there were no numbers Turned on the cell phone and saw 8:30 oh no! Elec co calls wife"s cell but she turns off the ringer. Sure enough the electric Co had called to express we were experiencing outrages in our area, that was about 7:20 but did not ring.
I instantly go into panic mode as I like everything regular and we have had alot of rain in the area and have been having to use a transfer pump as water seems to be coming up in the basement drain when it should be going down. So I am thinking indoor swimming pool in our finished basement. ( panic) wife just pulls covers over her head.
I get to the basement door expecting the worst, walk down slowly as to not step in the swimming pool and to my amazement no water. sigh. I get to the drain and it is almost to the top, I go to turn on the pump and OH sh.. no power. I think RV generator probably 300 feet away from the house, hook up the batteries as I keep them disconnected due to our fine Indiana winters, 20 deg or less all winter. Engine starts, house batteries seem ok although a little low, as the propane sensor is going off. The generator fires after several tries. Keep in mind I dont exersise due to cold and batteries disconnected, after about six tries it fires up. Oh so happy. Run extension cords to pump and all comes out well....esept... couldn't go swimming not that I wanted to as it would have been like a Polar plunge. Fired up propane furnace, turned on Andy Griffith put my feet up and I was a Happy non camper today. Oh and about 45 mins later DW comes out with the old camping peculator and proceeds to make us coffee and giving orders. Me I just grin (inside). We end up in RV till after 2PM and power comes back on.
Just one last question, is there away I could hook up my 5500 ONAN directly to my house? Without the extension cords? But in all I have to thank my type A personalty, Onan, and my Bounder. Me I am so Happy.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:33 PM   #4783

I got lights working

I replaced the ground wire on the battery

Drilling new holes and everything. New cable
New connectors. Went inside to see my handy

work in action. Wow! What a difference. Lights
Are nice and bright no flickering. The ground
wire was shot. It's apparently original.

40 years old. Next is the converter ground.
Then the 110 ground. Then?
Terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:41 PM   #4784

Yeah Batteries are spendy! I just spent $118.00
On mine. And I only got 1.
Terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:33 AM   #4785

Winnebago Owners Club
Painting new decals

What is the name of the filler you are using and where did you get it? I have been removing all of mine which is very time consuming and messy. It would make the job go faster if I did not have to remove them all.

QUOTE=beamisl;4687884]Morning,

Have been dealing with some winds out here in Yuma so it has slowed me down a bit. Was asked about using a filler to fill in the cracks in the decals prior to painting them. I had NOT done so but the driver's side was in worse shape so decided to use the filler. Very satisfied with the results. Looks very good compared to what I have done so far and I may go back and redo the worse of the ones I already did do. Here are some pictures.

This particular decal was badly cracked. At the bottom it was pealing away and left many areas I had to completely remove parts of it. Filling it in has left it looking smooth and even. If you look VERY closely, you can see some imperfections but it sure looks better and I am happy with the results. Will post more pictures as I continue.

At this point, I will use filler on ALL the decals since the results have turned out so nice.[/QUOTE]
mudslidemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:15 AM   #4786

I finally tackled a soft spot on the roof where it meets the fiberglass end cap. The roof wasn't leaking but it was soft and someone had applied sealant tape over the metal cap strip. Well i pulled back about 20" of epdm and cut out the bad plywood and replaced with new, filled the voids with spray foam and spent hours cleaning off 25 years caulk! Laid the rubber back down and installed the metal cap and now all is good! Now that the roof is solid I can recoat the epdm. We are full timing so these larger projects are bit difficult but not impossible, it took me 3 days to wrap everything up (trying not to disturb the other campers).
waspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:06 AM   #4787

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Finally figured out our slide out malfunctions. Loose drive motor bolts.

I hope this helps someone else. It was a pain where I sit and the problem was not immediately obvious.

PART 1 - SLIDE OUT TROUBLE SHOOTING

PART 2 - SLIDE OUT TROUBLE SHOOTING AND REPAIR
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #4788

Gulf Streamers Club
Glad you found the source of the slide problem Charlie.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote