Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
What do you REALLY think of Walmart batteries?

I'm thinking about replacing my type 24 house battery with a Marine/RV battery from Walmart. There are wildly varying reviews regarding this battery, but many could be from boaters/fisherman which I feel don't apply to my situation. So I'm asking for opinions from my RV friends on these forums.

Again, this is the Walmart 12v type 24 Marine/RV battery.

CaptainGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 03:09 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGeezer View Post
I'm thinking about replacing my type 24 house battery with a Marine/RV battery from Walmart. There are wildly varying reviews regarding this battery, but many could be from boaters/fisherman which I feel don't apply to my situation. So I'm asking for opinions from my RV friends on these forums.

Again, this is the Walmart 12v type 24 Marine/RV battery.
I only got my walmart batteries a week or two ago. My original batteries were totally shot when I bought the MH so I really have no way to tell the difference.

The main feature I was going for with the WM batteries is they were cheaper than anything else out there. like $75 a piece instead of like $130 or more per battery. as long as they hold a charge and my furnace can run in an power outage I think I'm good with them for now.

Did you say you only had one battery? I have a bank of 2 seems fairly small capacity to only have just 1.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Got 2 of those in mine, got them in Mar, have a date of Fenb 2015.

Done a couple of dry camps for the weekend

Work good enought for me

I believe, Johnson Control is the manufacturer
Old 10-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I buy most of my starting batteries from Walmart.

You usually get what you pay for, and if cost is a deciding factor then the Walmart Marine may be a great option for you.

Marine/RV batteries are a hybrid in my opinion; for a house battery I have always used true deep cycle batteries. Simply, the lead plates in a marine battery are usually a "lead sponge" material (looks like a fine sponge) where true deep cycles usually use solid lead plates. Hard to tell what is inside a marine battery except to cut it open, which is not an option...... Comparing weights of batteries can provide an indication of battery construction - more lead makes heavier.

I have moved to performance being more important for my house batteries (I boon dock a lot) and have stepped up to industrial grade deep cycles - sometimes called Forklift, traction, stationary - for the types of applications they are typically used in.....

Here is a link to an article explaining some of this.....

Hope this helps,
Brian
BrianGlenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:31 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wschaub View Post
Did you say you only had one battery? I have a bank of 2 seems fairly small capacity to only have just 1.
I'm liking the price too. But mostly I like knowing that IF I have a warranty issue I can resolve it quickly and easily. You can find a Walmart almost anywhere. Yes, I did say there is only 1 battery and there is no room to do anything else. I may, at some point, try to set up a small bank of 6v somewhere besides under the hood, but for now, I will just make it be enough.
CaptainGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #6

There are only a very few battery manufacturers, so even though they say Walmart, they are actually made by one of the large manufacturers. As such, they are about the same quality as any other battery of the same type.

That being said, ta marine battery is a hybrid, half way between a starting battery and a deep cycle battery. A true deep cycle battery will serve you better.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:00 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I believe the Idea that there are only a few manufacturers of Batteries.

Just buy wherever the price is decent, and, where they sell a lot of batteries-so you can get a "fresh" battery.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:21 PM   #8

I did some research as well as I was leaning towards buying some expensive brands. My research indicated that most batteries are made by the same manufacturer and just privately labeled. I decided that this spring I am going to buy 2 Walmart deep cycle batteries for my RV since the price and warranty seem to be very good. I will go with a slightly larger size of the 27 or 29 group.
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:02 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGeezer View Post
I'm liking the price too. But mostly I like knowing that IF I have a warranty issue I can resolve it quickly and easily. You can find a Walmart almost anywhere. Yes, I did say there is only 1 battery and there is no room to do anything else. I may, at some point, try to set up a small bank of 6v somewhere besides under the hood, but for now, I will just make it be enough.
CaptainGeezer, in a "91 Tioga" I would think the battery under the hood would be your starting bat. and the house battery's would be under the entry steps, in a compartment that is big enough for two? I have been wrong many times before, so "just say'n" If that is indeed the case, then you can get two 6 volt golf cart battery's, if you have the height in your compartment, as the GC battery's are a couple inches taller!
Also, there are only 3/4 battery manufactures in the US, as the others have stated, so most are the same! As stated before also, the heavier the battery, the better or more lead they have!
As from my experience, you will get twice the performance from 2, 6 volt golf cart battery's as you will get from 2, 12 volt Marine/RV battery's!
JMHO! Rail!
Old 10-22-2015, 04:13 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I moved to buying Walmart starting batteries a few years ago. They were very well rated by Consumer Reports. I have been very happy with them.

Then a couple three years ago my son needed house batteries for his Motorhome. Went with two of the Walmart RV / Marine battery. They have worked fine for him.

Used to buy optima and sears platinum batteries. Decided I was not getting appreciably better life or performance for the more than double the price of Walmart batteries...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:40 AM   #11

Walmart batteries are good for the money... plus Walmart will let you return just about ANYTHING if you have a problem with it.

That said... please realize that in manufacturing, just because several different products are made by the same company or even in the same location doesn't mean that they are all the same. It's possible that they could be... but it's actually not very likely...

For example, two products with different labels that look the same to the consumer might actually have been made from very different materials... and manufactured under very different quality standards... even if they were manufactured in the same plant.

My preference has been the AGM style (absorbed glass matt) for house and chassis batteries. I purchased Diehard since they were available locally and on sale. They are quite pricey at around $200 each... but they should outlast a regular wet cell battery maybe 3 to 1. The chassis battery in our RV is an AGM... the date code on it is 2000... and it's still strong. Plus, the agm batteries do not care about sitting through the cold of winter... they deep cycle like a marine battery... they have tremendous cranking amps like a regular starting battery... and they don't ooze acid and corrode everything in their immediate vicinity. But that's just my $.02.

-cheers
Old 10-22-2015, 08:39 PM   #12

Walmart and sams take care of you.

Do have them install it as it is free at sams anyway.

If you buy and carry out you need the receipt or be lucky to have a manager there who knows what the date is...

Took one back with clear date code and it was their unit...First person argued against replacement until manager came up and told the first person how to process.

Cost went from 90 to 30 bucks.

They advised that they install free and if they install it is in the computer and receipt not needed.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:20 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Make sure you save the receipt as the warranty policy is not the same as their car batteries. Warranty is one year with original receipt. The date sticker on the batteries mean nothing to them, nor do they record battery serial number like they do with the car batteries. Lose your receipt and your warranty is over. I know this from recent experience. I have five group 24DC in my couch, all installed together about two years ago. Apparently one battery failed and my old fashioned converter cooked the whole bank. They were 14 months old when this happened. No warranty. So I purchased two, kept receipt, took two bad ones back with the fresh receipt and was given two new under warranty. Bought one more, to make five.....Also purchased a progressive dynamics converter to avoid another incident.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:21 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I will never buy another one from WM I just took back the second battery back deep cycle Would have 12.4 volts but would not hold draw down .They just try to put in on there charger loader works for awhile then they will keep doing this till you get totally pissed and ask for a swap then they want to put it back on there charger loader again and tell you it passing at that time and say there is nothing they can do as it passes Thank god I had my receipt and it only had 2 day till the 90nday return ran out I went to tractor supply got a battery there now all is good

aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries