Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #1

What is considered high miles in a gas MH?

This 76 Itasca, small block Chevy, shows 52840 on the clock which seems nice and low to me, but given we're talking about heavier loads, is that really low miles?

How about the genset shows 466 hrs?
FrankR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
The big question is, how many times has the clock rolled over? That 52840 could easily be 152840.

Usually a 100,000 miles is considered a high point for the older motors, depending on how well it was taken care of, though, that could easily be the halfway point. Case in point, my truck, which moves a fairly heavy load with my RV is working on 172580 miles so far.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sometimes really low miles and high years may not be so good. If a MH is left sitting around and not being used could lead to seal and bearing issues. That coach, if driven each year would have only logged 1500 miles per year. Check carefully the maintenance records to see how it was maintained and if there are any long periods of time that passed between oil changes, that might indicate it was put up and just sat.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Frank - and Welcome to the Forums!

It sounds like you are concerned with engine life and on an older gas motorhome 50K could be about the end of its life or only halfway there. Depends on how it was cared for and driven. Really no definitive answer but definitely not "low miles" for that age or coach.

OK - I just saw your earlier post on getting this motorhome. You say it sat since 1999 (yikes!). Be prepared to do a lot of repairing. I'm not saying it will need a lot of work - just be ready! That is a lot of sitting and motorhomes don't normally do well sitting for years on end. Engine and transmission seals go bad, brakes freeze up, furnaces fail to run ... the list goes on.

Let us know how things go.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
High miles

You know what they say, use it or lose it. If you get it for free well then putting money and time might be worth it.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:23 AM   #6

Woohoo! Changed the fuel pump last night and she started up and ran smooth as silk running off a clean gas source. Now we need to work our way back through the system and drain the tank. Trans was dry though (nothing on the stick) which has us concerned. Hopefully its not all completely dry. A new trans would prob be a deal killer. We figured out how the battery has to connect to start the genset and got it to turn over. (we only have 1 battery right now). I confirmed spark and used some starting fluid to see if I could get it to fire, but no dice. I could see all the way through the carb to the intake valve and it is moving freely. Not sure if its not turning fast enough maybe or possibly a stuck open exhaust valve. I might have flooded it too, who knows. Back to work on it tomorrow.
FrankR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Frank,
I hope you changed the oil on the engine first before starting it.
When engines sit unused for a long period of time acids build up in the crankcase and contaminate the oil. If you have not changed it already you should change it ASAP.
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote