Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #1

No running lights OR tail lights. Help!?!?

Hi! I am a newbie at this, so thanks for your patience. I took off 5 of the front running lights and they weren't connected to anything. There are 2 white wires coming out of each hole. Why would anyone not connect these wires to the lights, and how do you? There is 1 black wire on each the lights I pulled off. And are the tail lights connected to the same circuit?? Very confused...can anyone offer any answers to my dilema?? Thank You P.S. The motorhome is a 1984 Midas Palm Beach (class A).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #2

Running and tail light could or could not be connected to the tail light circuit. I would suspect that they are/were originally. You are going to need a VOM and a lot of patience for this project. As lighting can be a nightmare, especially since the wires are run through the body somehow. Usually before everything is assembled.
First things first, try and contact the manufacturer for a wiring diagram, then start tracing wires, one at a time starting with the tail lights.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #3

Question What is this...

I am the one with the running & tail light problem on the 1984 Midas Palm Beach motorhome. There is a black box (with a dial on bottom) on top of the steering column. It has a lot of wires in it. Box reads: Type II RT. Would anyone know what this is? Thank you for any & all help!
Old 04-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #4

White (hot) wires jumper (daisy chain) from light to light. Black is the ground wire. So, the 2 white wires connect to one light connector. Black connects to the other light connector on each light

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus13 View Post
I am the one with the running & tail light problem on the 1984 Midas Palm Beach motorhome. There is a black box (with a dial on bottom) on top of the steering column. It has a lot of wires in it. Box reads: Type II RT. Would anyone know what this is? Thank you for any & all help!
Any way that you could post a picture of the part ? It may have been installed by a previous owner, so you may have to trace the wires to see what they hook to; may even be a speaker fade switch for the radio.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #6

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus13
WHAT EVER you do DON'T TURN the DIAL!!!! It may be a self destruct button! Just kidding, post some pictures, it could be a multitude of things from TV signal to headlight dimmer for handicap, possibly an early version of on the fly tuning for the ECM. Pictures, parts numbers will help folks that know help you. ( sorry, I'm not one of the ones that know)
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ah, it is the old "Type II RT". You said it is a black box, I thought they were all brown. Maybe it is a foreign model.

Ken
Old 04-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
well with out seeing it I have 3 guesses. Cruise control, Air ride, or maybe a elec brake control for a towed car/trailer.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #9

Venus,

I can't tell you about the black box, but about the lights, I may have an answer. If it is an aluminum skin, they may have expected to ground the lights to that skin. Maybe it was a good ground when the coach was new, but things change. You may have to string some long pieces of wire to good grounds and power to sort this one out.

If none of the ICC, clearance marker or taillights work, go looking for a fuse. With a built-up A like that, it is anybody's guess where the fuses are and no bet that they are all in the same place.

You didn't say if the rear ICC lights work.

The all of this set of wires should be on the first position if it has a automotive type headlight switch.

Good Luck

Matt
Old 04-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #10

Does the black box look like this? If it does, then it is a brake controller for a towed car.