Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
My DW is really old and I still like her, when I got her, she came with all the options, but she is high maintenance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our 8 year old truck pulls our 31 year old trailer fine and we manage to camp and have a great time as well. We have not had a new car since 1995 and my wife drove it for 11 years. Our stuff is not old...just experienced.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Our stuff is not old...just experienced.

Ken
Ken, I LIKE that! Will borrow that line from you, if you don't mind, next time someone comments on the "old" stuff that I have.

It's been nice reading the comments from everyone. By the time that I finish, if I ever finish, making my upgades/changes, to my 'ol girl she will rival those younger chicks out there and while maybe won't be the first one asked to dance, she won't be the last. :)

Sheila :)
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
~~snip~~ By the time that I finish, if I ever finish, making my upgades/changes, to my 'ol girl she will rival those younger chicks out there and while maybe won't be the first one asked to dance, she won't be the last.

Sheila
Hi Sheila, actually as long as you own your "'ol girl", you'll never finish, that's a fact you can believe. Actually that's part of the fun, making it your own home away from home. Your changes to suit your needs
Now the beauty of an older rig when compared to a new model you could blow a 4 or 5 figure $$$$ on, is that you don't have to be frightened to change things to make it your own. And no matter what you do everyone will see it as an improvement. Life's funny like that
When I brought ours home, fall of 2005, DW asked if we could install hand holds (she has somewhat limited mobility) and I told her we could do what we wanted because it was ours. Now that might have been a stupid statement on my part as I've been changing it ever since with more changes planned. But to tell the truth I'm pleased with the changes. Now when we're on the road we are comfortable and enjoy the changes that have been made. Come spring there's another major change to be done, the jack knife couch will be replaced with something of my own design and make use of generally wasted space. Now with regard to those folks with their nose in the air (and hoping it wont rain) me being the ornery old cuss that I am, I'll park where I want and if someone don't like it they can move.
Ah! Well I do ramble on, keep us posted with your changes and some photos to keep it real interesting. Take care and enjoy

Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
i too like old stuff, however for me anything with a motor i prefer new or gently used like new////////////////////but it must also fit MY budget. i am not envious of others stuff and congradulate everyone who does it their way.ive seen a few older motor home with antique plates to paraphrase larry the cable guy "thats cool no matter who you are"
brianj
Old 01-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Remember the scene in "Jaws" where Roy Scheider says "An island is only an island if you look at it from the water"?
Roy also said he needed a bigger boat sorry couldnt resist
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #21

Sheila. Living within one's means and enjoying life should be the goal of everyone. Living on credit is what got this country in this financial mess.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Roy also said he needed a bigger boat sorry couldnt resist
HAHA... but, he didn't say he needed a NEWER one

If you're in a hurry, you shouldn't be RV'ing
RVee'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
My DW is really old and I still like her, when I got her, she came with all the options, but she is high maintenance!
Jimmy, if she reads this you will get some lumps on your noggin.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:50 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
HAHA... but, he didn't say he needed a NEWER one
Yes and then the shark ate the boat
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #25

What is wrong with old?

There is nothing wrong with old. Having been a Foreman in a auto repair shop for many years and having contact with many dealerships I would hate to have to take my new rig into a shop.
I bought a new truck in 2005. Sold it in 2007 due to many transmission problems that never got fixed under warranty. Bought a 2001 then and have been happy. Much prefer doing my own repairs than depending on the dealers.
How many owners of these new rigs actually understand the systems in their rigs and could patch it up if they had to???
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #26

Nothing wrong with old! As someone else said, one good thing about old is you don't have to be afraid to renovate. You can do nothing but improve it! I love making repairs, 'upgrading', making things look neater, cleaner, more modern but keeping the retro style. In newer rigs you can't really make any improvements, not like you can an older one. I like the option to 'make it mine' without having to worry about ruining anything, and the price is just right - cheap initially, and all repairs/improvements can be made to fit your time and budget.
AmberGotLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #27

Little late but!! I pull my rv, a 2004 Cedar Creek ( paid for, just starting to upgrade) with a 1987 IHC (lots of upgrades) because I want to. I looked a long time for this truck and I LIKE IT. All my friends think I should get a newer truck except 2 one drives a 4x4 diesel Mercedes suv BECAUSE he likes it. The other drives a home made 77-78 dodge 4 dr,short narrow bed, got fenders, tilt hood, 6cyl izsu diesel, 5spd gets 28mpg. HE LIKES IT. So no matter what you drive or pull I understand, YOU LIKE IT.
haulinhazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I spent most of this winter, collecting the stuff that I am adding to her this Spring. This forum has been great with giving me idea's, that I might not have considered before. Of course, I could also blame you guys for the extra money I spent too....... LOL!!

I am hoping to take her out, for the first time this year, in about three weeks. Just a short weekend trip but I am SOOOOO excited!! Feels like it's been years since I took her out, not just since the Fall.

This will also be the first time with the V8 Jeep. Very excited about that! The V6 van did fine, except for grades- when that little engine would work.

The nice thing, that I have found, about my 'experienced' TT is that--like everyone said-- I can learn from her and make improvements without being scared that I am going to mess up her resale value. Everything that I put in to her is an improvement and I couldn't give a flip about resale value

As I am going along, I am taking before and after shots and will eventually add a posting on them.

Never, ever, thought that I would get so hooked on an 18' peice of metal and glass..... Life is strange that way.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote