Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What Is Wrong With Old?

Hi All,

So what is wrong with old?

I have a 1985 18' Wilderness TT. I got her for $1K. She was WELL loved and taken care of and I am slowing updating and upgrading her. I am not in debt.

I was pulling her with my V6 van, which did great on the flats but here in the PNW we have a LOT of grades and my poor V6 would be worked to go up them.

After our last winter, when we had back-to-back snow storms, I decided that it was time to get a 4x4. For lots of reasons, that I won't bore you with here, I decided to get a V8 Grand Cherokee Limited.

I found a WELL loved and taken care of 1996 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (factory tow and all the bells and whistles) with 91K. I am not in debt.

A few years ago (before I bought my TT) I wanted a scooter to tool around with when I was traveling places. I got a 1982 Honda Express with just 1K km on her. Just needed a tune up and new battery to make her perfect. I am not in debt.

You may be noticing a theme here I am more than okay with getting well maintained 'older' items. One of the big reasons is that if I am not making a 'payment' on stuff, then I have more money freed up to enjoy them.

However, how my 'older' stuff is viewed by the general public is interesting and unexpected.

When friends saw my 'new' Jeep, they looked at me askance and said "It’s old!" I could see in their minds that I should have spent $30K+ for a new Jeep and couldn't figure out why I was so excited/enamored with my 13-year old Jeep and 24-year old TT.

Yes, by having older items, I am missing out on the latest and greatest bells & whistles, but I can’t think of a thing I would need to add to my Jeep and on my TT, I am slowly adding/updating what I want.

Even so, I might be spending $2K more on my TT. I have added an A/C, cover for the propane bottles, assist handle, TT cover, wheel covers, spare cover, microwave, LCD TV, MAXXII vent covers, vent insullators, 2nd deep cell, etc. This spring I will be adding an awning, painting inside and adding wood floors. Total spent on TT & additons, around $3.25K.

My boss told me that I am not doing my part to stimulate the economy that I should be helping the Auto and the RV manufacturers by purchasing new.

My response is that by my purchasing the older items, allows those THAT WANT TO BUY NEW, to have the funds toward that.

I even see it at the dog shows. Admittedly, my TT is the smallest RV there and it does look like the baby of the mammoth diesel pushers next to her. But I've had folks come by and look down on her with comments like "I couldn't have anything that old; I'll bet you can't wait to 'trade-up". They think they are being nice until I tell them that I spent over a year looking for her and she is perfect to me and she is my 'trade-up'. All with a smile, of course.

So tell me, what is wrong with old? Why is it that those of us, with our vintage items- that are WELL loved & maintained, are looked down upon and pitied? Like we are the poor red-headed cousins in bare feet and hand-me-down clothes?

Ultimately, what it boils down to is that they make ME happy and I enjoy them VERY much and having them has opened a whole new world for me to explore.

I wish the same for you and your "old" stuff!!! LOL!!

Sheila

PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Sheila,
Ain't nothing wrong with old stuff. The bottom line is way too many people have more $s than brains. Many also never learned courtesy or how to be polite. You can rest assured, these people get treated the same way they treated you. No matter what one owns, there are those who own bigger and better (more expensive) than what one owns. The size of one's bank account can be an inverse proportion to one's ability to see others with compassion and humanity.

Then again, they may have inherited their status. This means they may be to dumb to know the above mentioned items.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I too like "old stuff", that's why I keep my DW instead of trading her in on a new model. Then again, she ain't cheap. I judge people by their heart and mind, not their possessions!
Old 01-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Ultimately, what it boils down to is that they make ME happy and I enjoy them VERY much and having them has opened a whole new world for me to explore.
That's all that matters.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #5

As seen in my sig, our stuff is older - well kept and nice for their age - but OLD!

One nice feature about older stuff, is that now that the surface glitter has worn off, not many worries about how clean the shoes are of visitors, or if some part of the rig - inside or out - gets a new minor smudge or ding, especially true of rigs like ours, used mostly for boondocking and wilderness sites.

We have absolutely NOTHING to be ashamed of or defensive about in our well kept older stuff - and can actually ENJOY taking and using ours in places that would worry the owners of some glitzy new $150K rig to death.

We prefer to own our stuff - NOT be owned BY them...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
It's Debt that put this country in the shape it is now. Perhaps your attitude will rub off on some of these poor victims of predator lenders.
Dick
Old 01-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i agree 1000 percent. NOTHING i have is new and never will be. 1978 Ford midas mini, 1990 Chevy 1500, and 1981 chevy chevette ( lol yes a chevette ). i didnt raise 6 wonderful well adjusted kids on a truck drivers pay by bying new. What i have isant new but its mine and no one can take it from me. i have worked had for what i have.
pete10972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #8

It's no ones business but yours whether or not you choose to go into debt. Part of the reason this country is in the financial shape it's in today is due to debt. We own our stuff. It may be old but it is ours. We do not co-own it with a bank. I've had payments. No thanks. We don't even have a credit card. Lots of people think that's bad. I've even seen folks on this BBS say things like "only irresponsible people would get into trouble with a credit card". That is their OPINION not a fact. They don't know me nor do they know the things that have happened to us. Only an irresponsible person would say something like that. But that is my opinion.

Don't let the people that you know that are in debt, tell you how to live. They are giving you their opinion. And their opinion shouldn't count.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
If you think the comments and stares you get is bad, you should try a 36 year old truck camper on for a while, I've had plenty that have gone out of their way to be down right rude.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It doesn't matter what you camp in, you will have just as much fun.

If you feel good about yourself and your possessions, it does not matter what others think.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
And I thought I was wierd for liking older rigs. Guess I'm in very good company here. Not only do I not have the debt,but, I wouldn't have the income to purchase a high dollar rig. Retirement has both sides of the story. No job to worry me,but, no weekly paycheck either. Yes I love it and love living in our '81 Executive MH. Ed
1oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
An older unit is often simply better because of their simplicity and lack of high-tech bells and whistles that fail or otherwise confuse.

If you are happy , content, and comfortable you can park next to me anytime. However if you pull up next to me in a box that cost 6 figures, are vocally load, can't back up without 7 attempts to get it straight, or argue about the lack of space for the automatic awning, I want to leave ASAP !!

In this world you can judge the book by it's cover!!
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Remember the scene in "Jaws" where Roy Scheider says "An island is only an island if you look at it from the water"?

Perspective is everything, and if your rig is new to you then it ain't old! I've only had my '87 Tioga for two years and part of that time I was laid up so it's pretty brand spankin' new to me and I'm lovin' every minute of my new RV

Bob

If you're in a hurry, you shouldn't be RV'ing
RVee'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #14

The United States Navy has a regular habit of keeping ships in commission for half a century and more. And they are made in America!!