Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Original ad?

That's NOT a 1996. Headlights are wrong. 1986 as others have guessed above is more likely. And it looks much longer than 22'.
The 22 may not mean feet down under. What measurement system do they use down there?

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
The 22 may not mean feet down under. What measurement system do they use down there?

Chuck
Australia uses the S.I. measurement system (metric) like all the rest of the world except the U.S., Liberia, and Burma(Myanmar). We still use the imprecise, inefficient, and awkward 'Customary System.'

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g View Post
it also looks like the seal around the bunk window - above the driver has popped out. Leaks around the windows in older class Cs is a common problem.
I thought the same thing, but that actually appears to be a reflection in the window. Worth take a close look at that area though to see if it has leaked in the past.

Nice looking rig, and welcome to the forum, mate!
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #19

Easy way to tell between '86 and '96 is to see if it's fuel-injected or not. That started to supersede carbs in 89-93 depending on manufacturer.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #20

Once again, many thanks for all the replies and advice.
I am going to have a look at the unit this week as I now have some
info to go on. 2 things had worried me apart from parts was the stated year and the length of the unit. Nice thing about US vans is the interior layout when compared to our older units. Also the character of the exterior, you either love or hate them.
By the way in Aus the measurements used is metric but we still use the old system of feet and inches when it suits us specially in measuring vans, makes them seem a lot bigger, 28 feet v 8.4m
icu2x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #21

I think it is a Ford chassis. Although if it is an Australian Ford this could just about have any engine/transmission combo, possibly even diesel powered.
Unless the pic is reversed it has right hand drive and I really like the roo diverter on the front end.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #22

That is definatly a chev chassis unless someone did a cab transplant I'd label it at 29'
Mitchyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchyb View Post
That is definatly a chev chassis unless someone did a cab transplant I'd label it at 29'
I stand corrected, I took a better look at the pic(blowup) and agree it is GM chassis. still like the bumper though.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #24

Sure looks like a Sportscraft to me. I own a 1984 24', with the bath in the rear. The rear bed is nice, but must add 3-4 feet to the length. These were better units for their day. Unfortunately, they are orphans. The have better appliances and accessories than others of the same era. Mine had a Kohler Generator, on a KT17 motor, Dometic 13.5 airconditioner, a larger Norcold refrigerator and Wedgewood range. Not by any stretch, state of the art, but very serviceable. The wheels are upgrades, I have 16" steel rims.

I live in the Western US and do a lot of mountain driving. I admit that the 350 engine will not do 60 mph over a mountain pass, but it will pull a comfortable 35 on a 7% grade at 6500 ft elevation. Still getting an average of 13mpg. I think the chassis on the G30 van is better on a small rig, but you are in between the small and large and should do just fine.

Parts replacements and service as others have said, should be fairly easy, I understand there may be more vintage US rigs in Australia than anywhere outside the US.
UncleRich is offline   Reply With Quote