Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
What to Pay For a New Radiator???

I took my Winnie to a radiator shop last week after I found I had not fixed the leak. The guy is normally pretty reasonable but the thought is still bugging me. He isn't sure what the cost to replace the old radiator will be until he finds one. I asked him to look for a 3 row while I was talking to him. Figured if I have to go new mind as well upgrade. He told me he may have to re-core the old one. I am not a fan of re-cores. I had this done on my 84 Cj and it looks like a monkey did it. Anyhow, anyone one have any ideas on what I may be looking to spend to have a radiator replaced???
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2011, 12:04 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Having once done radiator work for a living, I can assure you that a recore should not look like it was done by a monkey. If that's how it looks, that probably describes the guy who did it. A recore should look like a new radiator. Even when we did just a minor repair, we cleaned and repainted them, and they went out looking like new. Find yourself a new radiator shop.

If you're talking about the motorhome in your avatar, that will almost certainly be a copper and brass radiator, and you will probably be lucky if it comes in under $400, assuming he can find one. It could be a lot more. Copper and brass prices have gone through the roof. As long as the tanks are good, my suggestion would be to find a GOOD radiator shop and have it recored.

Today's radiators have aluminum cores and plastic tanks. Amazingly, they seem to be pretty durable. If you can find a direct replacement they can be had for well under $200. I recently replaced one in a Blazer and it was $125. The original one had lasted 215,000 miles before a tank cracked.

JP
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:37 AM   #3

i agree on new plastic tank cracked also. that said a recore is as good as new if done right i doubt you have a 3 core probably a 4 core
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #4

Rebuild of the radiator in a Dodge MH chassis has been in the range of $400 for several years now. They have to special order the core as it is a not a normally stocked item (off the shelf is not available). It is oddball in that the inlet/outlet are both on the right side. Most radiators are crossflow in that the inlet/outlet are on opposite sides or the top is in the middle. Also there is a 3rd outlet at the top for the filler cap extension (there are 2 radiator caps).

Dave
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #5

FYI - If you are considering a new unit, many of them are Asian sourced. Quality of most is poor.

I agree that a good rad shop is your best bet.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #6

I pulled mine a year and a half ago. It was a 4 core with 3/8" tubes and the fins were loose. When I got it back it was still 4 cores with 5/8" tubes. The radiator looked like brand new. Works great.
BA-in-Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-in-Mich View Post
I pulled mine a year and a half ago. It was a 4 core with 3/8" tubes and the fins were loose. When I got it back it was still 4 cores with 5/8" tubes. The radiator looked like brand new. Works great.
Edit: by the way it was a $500 recore.
BA-in-Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #8

i have bought several from radiator barn.com with very good results the prices are very good also. speedway can do some very good deals on aluminum radiators
you might ck the net and compare
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
WoW, I am not looking to spend that much @ the moment...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator