Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
bap

What vintage camper is best for winter

the wife and i have fallen in love with these old campers, we are in our 50s and want to full time in a small vintage camper,,my concern is wintering which oldie would be best for northeast say around kentucky ??
any and all input would be greatfull thanks in advance..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Best one would be one, you can tow farther south to mid Florida or lower in winter time.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #3

The members of this club could be some help. They are at some of the car shows we attend.
Tin Can Tourists

okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
bap

thanks for the quick replies but we would be mostly staying here in the area around ky,,,i have heard that avion build a nice winter camper,,but i have only heard it once..lol
i would love to hear some info from others that have full timed in a 4 season area in a vintage camper.....as much as i would love to winter in florida we need to stay close enough to be close to the grandsons that we could be with them with in a few hours if need be..and to be honest its just not in our budget at this time,,we really just want to live in a vintage camper ...we have lived in a class a motorhome for a year before enough to get the feel of it and know that it fits our lifestyle..but we sold it and moved back into the house and we miss the rv lifestyle and have really grown to love the little old campers so much we want to live in one..
thanks again...
Old 08-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keeping tanks from freezing is more difficult in a TT than a class A because the tanks may be exposed to the outside air. Enclosed tanks with a system to keep them from freezing would be a start. Something with a lot of insulation is next. A 100# LP tank hooked to your TT would help. How will you empty that holding tank? Navion was made in Benton Harbor, MI. Check Craigslist for some in that area. Many times employees buy and don't sell but leave it in their yard.
bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
the wife and i have fallen in love with these old campers, we are in our 50s and want to full time in a small vintage camper,,my concern is wintering which oldie would be best for northeast say around kentucky ??
any and all input would be greatfull thanks in advance..

I have always heard AirStream trailers are the best built for full timing. Here are some winter weather FAQ's with regard to AirStream trailer living.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f462...aq-103756.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1408926993.282120.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	690.3 KB
ID:	71872
Old 08-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #7
bap

again thanks for the replies,,some good points that i had,nt thought of about the tanks,,
and i will check into the navion ,have family around there,,
also the airstream for sure..

and what is the TT stand for...lol
Old 08-25-2014, 12:01 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
TT equals Travel Trailer I do believe
Old 08-25-2014, 06:34 AM   #9

Although the following thread doesn't just deal with vintage travel trailers, the topic is 4 season TT, so a lot of good information on living in the cold.

4 Season TT
Old 08-25-2014, 06:40 AM   #10
bap

thanks again for some more great info..
tt,,,travel trailer....just couldnt figure that one out....lol ....thanks that one had me scratching my head,,,,lol
Old 08-25-2014, 11:31 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Y/W,
Old 08-26-2014, 06:30 AM   #12
bap

im starting to wonder, the wife and i have refurbed a 66 shasta to its former glory it was a tiny single axel with all original interior and excterior...when we got done with it it looked at least as nice as the day it was born, but we sold it, now we have glamped up an aristocrat land commandor which is ready for exterior paint, and sitting in the side waiting its turn is an old go-tag-along,,,it will need a full make over but it still has the turquise ice box(not fridge.)turquise sink and 2 burnner stove....hard to find info on GTA,s does anyone know about what year model it could be i still havent found the vin on it..its like 13ft and would love to put it back as close to original as possable..
now im starting to think about finding one of these extra vintage tt,s that has a bathroom with shower refurbing it with winter in mind and building it with all the stuff not put into these....like xtra thick insulation and dual pain windows.and ac for summer...
what do you people think...hmmm...
i have found an avion vry small like we like but it has set in the same spot for well over 30yrs and have no idea who owns it...im sure it would be a good one for a complete make over except the excterior looks great except would need sealed and polished back up from the years of turning that grayish color over time...
any thought from you experts on this ??

Tags
vintage, winter