Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:52 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
What's a boy to do?

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum. Just joined today. I'm looking for some input. Two days ago, I put a refundable deposit on a 1994 Monaco Crown Royal, Signature Series. This will be my first Class A and Diesel motorhome.

I have a 1999 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel car. So I've come to love diesel engines. I have owned two class C motorhomes in the past and have always wanted to move up to a Pusher. The latest one was a 2002 Minnie Winnie 30V. It was nice. But I wanted something that can pull my 20' enclosed car hauler loaded with bikes and gear.

So, here's where you may be able to help me. I'm looking for any pointers, suggestions, comments, warnings, etc. Good or bad. about this deal that I am in the process of right now. Consider this, I will be picking up this unit in Colton, Ca. and driving it home to Connecticut via Nashville, Tn. Where I stop for a few days to join my wife who will be attending a work conference.
(Sucks to be her, I'll be playing, LOL!)

Here is what I know about this unit, See copy of dealers add below.

1994 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 38' 370HP Diesel Pusher Class A Motorhome. Cummins M11 370HP Turbo Diesel engine, Allison Transmission, Air Brakes, Air Suspension, Exhaust Brake, all on a Roadmaster Chassis. With 154,600 miles

In the cockpit, at the power leather driver seat (passenger also leather): telescopic/tilt steering, cruise control, power mirrors, dash A/C, back-up camera, automatic levelling jacks, etc. Entertainment systems include: AM/FM stereo, Satellite dish, and TV Antenna. Both leather front seats swivel around to face living room. Living room has a cloth sleeper sofa, leather sofa, and a leather dinette booth: coach sleeps up to 4-5 in total. In the kitchen: 2 door fridge, 3 Burner Stove, convection microwave, and Hot Water Tank (has the Aqua Hot System). Bathroom area is next, with a private room for the toilet. across the hall is the corner glass shower and the vanity. At the rear of the coach, is the Queen size bedroom with walk-around bed, and lots of closet space. Dual ducted roof A/C units along with 2 furnaces. 3 window awnings. Kohler diesel generator. Inverter/Converter. Rear ladder and hitch for towing. Alco wheel with brand new tires. Comes with a full set of manuals.
Try this link for pictures,
RVT.com | Pictures for AD# 6115162

Almost forgot, I have a professional RV inspector going to do a very detailed inspection and test drive this coming Saturday. I also asked him to take a large enough oil sample after he drives it so I can send it out for testing. I hope I'm on the right track here.

Thanks to all,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your outcome.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #3

WHERE'S THE TV!!!??? Auuuughhhhh!

(We never watch ours.)

It sounds like you have it covered, with pro inspections, oil analysis, etc.

Do make sure the hitch has sufficient capacity for your towing needs - it probably does. Not a deal-breaker issue by any means - worst case is buy and install a new receiver.

Some people are wary of older coaches. I feel like the $200K+ you are saving will pay for a few repairs, IF they are needed.

My tiny personal experience advice - inspect the water line to the fridge ice maker. Ours broke shortly after we bought our coach, due to weather and sunlight fatigue. The breach pumped the entire contents of the fresh water tank into the cabin, and really made a mess!

Matt B

We have a 1998 Monaco Windsor and really like it!
Old 02-12-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
bap

first of all,,,welcome to irv2,,,im sorry i cant answer your questions but there are alot of people here that can...the dw and i are into the little tt,s...
dont forget to have a goodmorning cup of coffee with us in the mornings or anytime in the goodmorning thread,,,,alot of great people here full of great info..also search around the forum im sure you will find answers...

again welcome to the site...
...bap
Old 02-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The professional inspection should cover everything but I would get transmission and coolant samples also. Check DOT dates on tires as this is a big expense.

This is a 38' without tag axle so make sure your total weight is acceptable. My coach is rated to pull 10K but my CCC isn't that great, I do have 2 slide though that add lots of weight (and room).

Monaco is a great coach and the Signature was top of the line, if it checks out OK I'm sure you'll be more then satisfied.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:27 PM   #6

Wow a Monaco that doesn't have oak cabinets, like seeing Bigfoot 😜👍 Good luck. Inspections are everything. Just picked up my 96 Country Coach Intrigue after inspections. It needs some work, but after that I should be good 😜
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1423798055.391293.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	85889

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
Old 02-13-2015, 02:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club

Mike , you will get a lot of great advise from this site!
I saw this MH on the rvt,com site, and it is a hell-of-a-deal if everything checks out ok!
This dealer, has a bad reputation, to say the least! He and his silent partner in Canada handle repo's and auction Mh's and sell them cheap on ebay and other sites! I just wanted you to know this fact going in, so you have your eyes wide open!
With that said, you need to start another thread, asking if anyone has dealt with them before, and hear there stories, so you know what you are dealing with! I do not have any personal experience with them, but read some horror stories from other members, so beware!
I hope you found the inspector on your own, and not one recommended by them!
It is a beautiful MH, and I hope it all checks out ok!
Best of luck! Rail!
Old 02-13-2015, 06:04 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post

Mike , you will get a lot of great advise from this site!
I saw this MH on the rvt,com site, and it is a hell-of-a-deal if everything checks out ok!
This dealer, has a bad reputation, to say the least! He and his silent partner in Canada handle repo's and auction Mh's and sell them cheap on ebay and other sites! I just wanted you to know this fact going in, so you have your eyes wide open!
With that said, you need to start another thread, asking if anyone has dealt with them before, and hear there stories, so you know what you are dealing with! I do not have any personal experience with them, but read some horror stories from other members, so beware!
I hope you found the inspector on your own, and not one recommended by them!
It is a beautiful MH, and I hope it all checks out ok!
Best of luck! Rail!
Mike, I found the thread, on this site, type in a search, " Where not to buy your RV " Rail!