Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #15

Jarog,

We currently have a 40yo coach. We have put over 5k miles on it this year. If you pay attention to the things that age out (all rubber parts, brake fluid and coolant), there is no reason at all that what you have cannot be a roadworthy and dependable coach.

Yes, I have work to do on it all the time, but it is 40yo and paid for. Just don't think about what it costs to do the job right (buy the good stuff and the right tools) and think about the payments you aren't making.

We would travel more, but on a fixed income and 4+$/gal gas, our lives are pretty severely restricted. Too bad that what I worked for had to get "redistributed" to people that made more per hour than I did.

Matt
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #16

I just bought and have yet to pick up a 1994 Mitchell Vogue Prima Vista. The purchase was made with the singular intention of circumnavigating the lower 48 this fall.
94 Vogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
To be able to enjoy it without having to always pour money into it. With it only having 36k on the clock and having gone through it doesn't seem that will be a problem for a while. I have an enclosed trailer that I put my chopper and cruiser in and just like to take some time to enjoy lifes many pleasures. I have a house on a lake at the lake of the ozarks with a champion bass boat and a mariah cruiser, but thats for my weekend get aways. Being in the coach and traveling is a great exspierance that everyone should enjoy.http://http://http://http://
vman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Vogue View Post
I just bought and have yet to pick up a 1994 Mitchell Vogue Prima Vista. The purchase was made with the singular intention of circumnavigating the lower 48 this fall.
Well Mitchell,

I don't very much care what your intentions are and neither does the universe. Your plan is just a tad optimistic.

If you go from Savannah to DC, to NYC, to Augusta,ME, to Cleveland, to Chicago, Mlps/St Paul, to Bismark, to Yellowstone, to Seattle, to Sacramento, to San Diego, San Antonio, NOLA to Jacksonville and end again in Savannah, you will have covered about 8000+ Miles. If you drive 500 miles a day, that is 16 road days and you haven't had a break or stopped to look at anything.

If you are doing this in the fall, remember that winter comer early at the high latitudes and elevations. There is usually snow in Yellowstone in September.

When forced, we can to two or three 500 miles days, but we have two drivers and a coach that is very comfortable to drive. 250~300 is much more realistic. We regularly do 2~3k excursions. If you want to see anything (and there is a lot to see everywhere) I suggest that you start working on the plan as soon as you can.

I had planned an excursion much like this, but it was planned for two months on the road and then my investments were taken from me and fuel prices doubled so there went that (among other) dreams that were to be to be the reward for working my butt of for fifty years. Now, we can't afford half the fuel cost we planned and that only buys half the fuel. I hope your plans work better.

I suggest that you buy your own copy of Street Alas or Strips and Treets and get planning early.

Matt
Old 06-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #19

I just got back from a 2000K trip up north to Muskegon Mi. The rig did excellent! I have been vindicated! I think I have now shut up some of the Nay Sayers. I had very little issue with the rig at all. it performed better than should be expected for an RV 27 years old. DW and I stayed it in exclusively (no motels) for 12 days and found it to be very comfortable. I got an amazing 9.5 to 10 MPG.
One of my favorite moments occurred in Northern Kentucky at a rest stop. After a long day of driving I was getting pretty sleepy. Could hardly hold open my eyes. When I spotted the sign for the rest stop an idea hit me. I whipped it in a parking spot, fired up the genie , put on a pot of coffee , and proceeded to take a cool shower to get my eyes open. By the time I was dressed again the coffee was ready and I was back on the road feeling like a new man. Can do that in your SUV!! LOL!!
Think I am really going to get into this RV lifestyle.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Pre-owned rv's are just fine. The only issues might be maintenance by previous owners, lack of owners manuals for coach and appliances (retrievable on line usually), and cosmetic items.

Good advice about checking (before buying) the 'rubber' parts. We bought a lightly used (read here: been sitting) '91 Pace Arrow, a couple of years ago. Among many of the issues was front bushings which was a $5000 surprise. It also needed a new refrigerator.... Anyway, check it carefully or have it inspected, make sure everything works, plan to take care of things that might crop up (this can happen on new, or nearly new rv's too). Camp in your own driveway once, then a short shakedown run to a nearby campground or lake, once you feel you've got everything you need on board, have found any idiosyncrasies, take off and have fun.

BTW, we sold the PA to our son - it has no problems (thanks to $$$$ on our part), because DH wanted a diesel...LOL

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Vogue View Post
UNlike the earlier nay-sayer who rained on your parade, the "Fall" season is considerably LONGER than 16 days, and yours is an enviable plan that is entirely do-able with decent planning of route. The Fall season in the south western parts of the USA are pretty stable and long-lasting, compared to the north eastern states, where the colder temps really make spectacular viewing.

Rough guess, if you have the time, is 2 months, perhaps mid-august to mid October - and planning the route that favors weather conditions for the specific areas you are most interested in - have a GREAT trip!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarog View Post
I realize as I ask this question that there are many variables to consider, However, I am going to ask anyway. What kind of service can you expect from a 20+ yr old RV? I mean, Is there any one out there that are taking these things on 3K or 6K adventures? Or do most of them get resigned to shorter more local duties? AGAIN. I know its relative to the condition of your RV. I ask because I recently purchased an 1985 26' Itasca which looked to be in good working order until the first trip out. I have had many diffaculties, but no big deal because im a fairly capable mechanic with a shop full of tools. I fully expected to have some problems during the initial "SHAKE DOWN" period after purchasing it, due to the number of years it sat without use. It was purchased to "hopefully" make the trip to Sturgis, South Dakato every summer from Atlanta Ga (about 3K mi round trip). My friends think im off my rocker when I explain what I want to do. Anyone here want to weigh in on this topic?
My coach may not be "vintage" but it is 17 years old.
It has had it's share of problems, (none major).
Maintenance and repairs do get expensive, and I sometimes wonder if we
would have saved money if we would have "traded up" some years ago!

We are occasionally using it this summer..... for short, (100-200mile), camping trips.
We plan to take on our 10th annual 3 month winter trip from WI through IL, MO, AR, LA, TX, OK, NM, AZ, CA, and back to WI through OK and MN.

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara, (new to me in 2001, w/ 27k miles)
now @ 132k miles, (105k mine)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #23

Quote:
I just got back from a 2000K trip up north to Muskegon Mi. The rig did excellent! I have been vindicated! I think I have now shut up some of the Nay Sayers. I had very little issue with the rig at all. it performed better than should be expected for an RV 27 years old. DW and I stayed it in exclusively (no motels) for 12 days and found it to be very comfortable. I got an amazing 9.5 to 10 MPG.
One of my favorite moments occurred in Northern Kentucky at a rest stop. After a long day of driving I was getting pretty sleepy. Could hardly hold open my eyes. When I spotted the sign for the rest stop an idea hit me. I whipped it in a parking spot, fired up the genie , put on a pot of coffee , and proceeded to take a cool shower to get my eyes open. By the time I was dressed again the coffee was ready and I was back on the road feeling like a new man. Can do that in your SUV!! LOL!!
Glad to hear you had an enjoyable trip. Nothing wrong with older units if you have the skills and ability to manage the repairs and mitigate the potential risks. The drive trains in these units are usually made by GM/Ford using engines and such that have proven track records in the commercial industry. Parts are usually easy to come by and the lack of a main computer that controls everything is sometimes a blessing.

Keep us informed on how things are going with your new toy.
Alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #24

Quote:
¿¿Why do you think everybody here loves traveling by MH??
And, 2000 miles in 12 days is about the right amount. The idea of traveling is to see and do things other than more highway.
Matt

Tags
rvs, vintage