Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:47 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I ran across BlueBird's by accident looking through craigslist...after seeing one I called 2 days later to buy it but it was sold. Looked for another 8 months for one that had been well taken care of and kept up to date (new tires alone are $4000!) and stumbled across this one. There is an enthusiast website that I used to learn all about them and what to look for.

dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #16

Wow, what a conversation! Barth's, Bluebirds, Revcons, GMCs, and Travcos. All very classy, classic coaches! I would only warn though, somebody not familiar should get real serious about their homework prior to even considering diving into any one of these! For starters, you'll need to be willing and able to do the vast majority of the work on them yourself! Otherwise, even the nicest of the nice ones can turn into huge money pits very quickly.

That said, they are incredible head turners..... every one of them, and this is not a complete list. There are Superiors, the Cortez, and many others as well.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
dmurdoc that is a beautiful rig I really like the colors outside.

aHicks, Why is it so much to have fixed? Can't find Parts or ???
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #18
Alaskan Member

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We found our 29’ 1993 Fleetwood Coronado on Craig’s List for $8,500.00, after looking for 2 months. Saw a lot of junk before we came across this one owner Fleetwood that the original owners had purchased new in Seattle in 1993 and use it to travel around the USA. Retired to Wasilla Alaska and had some health problems so their kids talked them into selling it. Spent a month cleaning and fixing things had to put new tires an awning on it and we were good to go.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #19

Spartan Chassis
Hi All..
I owned a 76 GMC Eleganza for a number of years before our changing to a Diesel Pusher.. Great Coach and wonderful owners group.. They have a owners forum on net and there are usually a number of them for sale there. And don't overlook Ebay.. Vintage coaches can be a wonderful way to RV and the owners have been there done that and most helpful!
Ron Husak
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Not too many of us showing off there vintage MH'S Why?
Old 02-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post

I think it depends on the rig. For mine parts are easy to find as everything below the frame is a Heavy Truck part, issue is those parts are expensive. You really need to research a particular make/model to see how it was built and hopefully find a forum/group of enthusiasts to understand what you're getting into. When mine was built BlueBird pretty much used top of the line parts for everything so most stuff is robust and will last forever, but if something does break you need to know how to fix it or in a lot of cases replace it with something more modern

I think some brands would have issues with parts availability, I think a lot would depend on the chassis (anything RV related can be replaced (fridge/electrical/etc..) but custom parts (windshields, bodywork,etc...) may be hard to find. Between the previous owner and myself the following upgrades/repairs have been made:

rewired/upgraded charging system (modern charger/inverter)
3 new A/C's
Tires (heavy truck tires ain't cheap!)
airbags
all hoses (with heater loops running to the rear for engine coolant that's no small thing)
all belts
o ring between turbo and engine (crappy CAT design in my opinion)
valves adjusted
air dryer serviced
new backup camera
couple of light ballasts replaced (will be swapping for led's)
engine thermostats and water pump
bearings serviced

And I have tons of upgrades planned (led interior and running lights, halon suppression system behind fridge, adding relays to exterior light circuits to reduce load on dash wiring, etc... - little things).

As you can see, nothing real complicated but there are some things I pay to have done such as bearings and airbags for instance - I don't have the equipment to safely jack this vehicle up off of it's wheels and to be honest when I have it up on ramps for oil changes it's quite creepy under there! (I don't like being under anything that big!). Rest of it is basic wrench work if you are comfortable working on cars.

If it's vintage, it's old and things will break or at a minimum really need to be updgraded/replaced to be safe
Old 02-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post

dmurdoc hit it pretty well. Can you imagine what some of those repair bills might have looked like had he not been able to do them himself? How many times he might have had to return to get his charging system working if it had been repaired/replaced by a "less than skilled" tech. who failed to see the wisdom of bringing the charging system up to modern day standards as part of the repair?

You can't loose focus of the reality regarding these coaches getting older? Even the best are going to need attention that only a knowledgeable owner will be able to provide or see too?

If a transmission cooler line let go due to rust on a Revcon, can you imagine yourself on the road with a toasted front wheel drive tranny in a Revcon or GMC?

The Bluebird has a dash equipped to control/monitor as many functions as an airliner. A maze of instrumentation worthy of the most gadget conscious without a doubt. An erratic short in the dash wiring due to older wiring and connectors can make the most patient trouble shooter cry in frustration. Would you like to have to pay to have that fixed?

THEN, there are the parts.... -

Just part of the hobby for the right kind of guys that enjoy this sort of thing. Others? Like I said, if you aren't familiar, due diligence is going to require some homework. -Al
Old 02-08-2014, 01:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
If a transmission cooler line let go due to rust on a Revcon, can you imagine yourself on the road with a toasted front wheel drive tranny in a Revcon or GMC?
My trans lines are new, but if it did happen, the computer would tell me about it. I have a 4L85e, but the stock trans was a TH400. It has modified internals to increase performance, but its pretty easy to by a TH400 with straight cut gears, Kevlar bands, and a high perf TC. Trans drops out the bottom, just like any other motorhome. So there is not any unique issues.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
My trans lines are new, but if it did happen, the computer would tell me about it. I have a 4L85e, but the stock trans was a TH400. It has modified internals to increase performance, but its pretty easy to by a TH400 with straight cut gears, Kevlar bands, and a high perf TC. Trans drops out the bottom, just like any other motorhome. So there is not any unique issues.

A perfect example of the type of knowledge I was speaking of...... Well beyond what most RV owners (or potential owners) are going to be familiar with.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #25

I bought my 73 off my grandfather for 100 bucks! Has a great family history and is still truckin down the road
Old 02-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Basically there are really good deals out there and "bang for the buck" there is no value than a well kept "vintage" - the quality and craftsmanship in these older units isn't available today. Just approach owning one as a Hobby because any older coach will need a slow steady diet of attention and as long as your comfortable working on basic stuff and you have the spare $$ to cover the things you can't fix you'll be fine. As has been shown in previous posts, one of the biggest differences in owning an older unit is most of the time YOU need to be the expert on it...doesn't mean you need to do the repair but you need to understand the systems and how they work because most repair shops will have never seen anything like what you bring them
Old 02-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #27

What's a repair shop?
Old 02-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the info, I think I will stick to the one I have. After 3 years I pretty much know her habits (soda-speak).
tb

Tags
vintage