Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:57 AM   #1
Where Did You Find Your Vintage RV

I have begun my search and have narrowed my list to a 1970's Dodge Travco, 1970's Winnebago Brave, a 1970's Grumman or a 1970's GMC.

How and where did you search for your vintage RV? How long did it take for you to find what you were looking for?

Jhuff8181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
We were lucky . we got a 1989 30' class A motorhome off craigslist here in S.Or. for $3700. We moved into it a month later and lived in it for 10 months with no problems. We even took a 2500mile trip to socal, Az. and back. I did flood the floor but it was my fault and I'm in the process of replacing the floor. It is a Mobile Traveler with a 460ci engine and it runs like new with 28000miles on it. The previous owner was a retired couple that were moving into an assisted living home and couldn't use it anymore, My gain.

1989 mobile traveler 30' MH, 2002 honda valkyrie motorcycle toad,Grants Pass,Or
biker art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
Mid Atlantic Campers
Originally Posted by Jhuff8181 View Post
How and where did you search for your vintage RV? How long did it take for you to find what you were looking for?

We ended up with a an 81 Class C Mobile Traveler. We bought it about 5 years ago and paid $2200 for it. It was in fair shape but need a good bit of small fixes.

I searched for about a year before I came across this one. It was in a local trading paper and I could never get them to answer the phone. I was actually on my way home from looking at a very rough Travco and decided to try the number again. I got in touch with the owner, stopped by and looked it over then pretty much decided right there it was worth getting.

We went back the next day and we have used it extensively ever since.

Patience surely paid off for me that time.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We belong to a Caddie car club and went out to look at a couple caddies this guy had that was in the club, he had two 64 converts for sale. In his driveway was a 1982 PA and I asked him kidding if it was For Sale and he said yes. I bought one of his caddies. A month went by and I kept thinking about the PA so we decided to go out and look at it closer. It was pretty dirty inside and out lots of blk mold on the outside from sitting under trees. I though to my self I can get this cleaned up if I were to buy it. We took it out for a test drive and I wasn't impressed but it had only 44,000 miles everything looked like it hadn't been used Shower like Brand new, oven never used that I could tell the furnace worked and he said no leaks anywhere and I saw no signs of a leak. So we bought her and have been very satisfied 100% since then. I have decided that I am going to sell the 64 and spend more time RVing.
That's my story and I am sticking too it...
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:19 AM   #5
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ours was at the bottom of my parents yard! We got it FOC but it needs a ton of work to put it right... Sweat equity.
Currently restoring our 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun on GMC G35 cab/chassis. 400ci
Blag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:06 AM   #6
I got my 1988 Coachman from a dealer, but it was not vintage when i purchased it in 1990.
pappyralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:27 AM   #7

Dodge Travco
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #8
We got our 82 Allegro 27' by chance. My wife and I were at my buddies for his birthday. My wife mentioned that we were looking at getting an older class c to my buddies mother. She told my wife they had the Allegro sitting at their house. It had been sitting there for about 5yrs. The only thing wrong with it was the rear bath room. Her husband had taken most the bath room apart only to find it was the rear window leaking. After fixing it he never put the bath room back together. She then told my wife if we wanted it to take it off her property, she was tired of looking at it. After taking a look, it is ours. We are having some trouble with the motor, but I think we have that figured out and under repair. Other than that just like we were told it seems so far everything works. So that's how we got ours.
tinse4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #9
Found it on Trader Online 12 years ago - pre Craigslist popularity. It was actually a dealer listing. We actually went to the dealer to look at a GMC. The GMC had too many inherent structural issues, so we turned it down. At the time, I looked through the Revcon, but it was too much money. I told the dealer I would call him back in 4 months on the Revcon when his price was lower. He claimed it would be gone. I called him 4 months later, and negotiated the price on the phone. Told the dealer if there was no glaring issues, I would buy it that night. As it turned out the fridge did not work, but the dealer offered to install a new fridge, for his cost of the fridge. I agreed and took the coach.

BTW: To the OP, if you are looking at GMC, you may want to take a look at Revcon. It is less well known, but is much better constructed coach.
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD FMCA F298817
502 w/Howell/GM ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows, 4L85E 4 spd, KoniFSD
Daveinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #10
I Traded a 70's era 12 x 60 mobile home for a 1987 Barth 34 ft class A, 454, tag axle. I stay most of the time in a campground, this was one of maybe a dozen mobile homes out of 300 year round sites and I was looking to be more mobile and had the MH for sale and a new member had bought the Barth from an estate to start out in and was looking for a bigger permanent site. Title for title. I moved into it for about 2 months and then found a used 2000 Gulf Stream34 ft, 2 slides, class A Ford V10, bigger with low miles, better for traveling, and moved into that.
The Barth is up for sale at $10K obo.
So far, I've enjoyed the vintage feel and look of it. Barth has a great group/site to keep em alive and they were high quality coaches at the time. Mine was $100,000 new. Parquet floor, lots of leather and solid oak
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014 (Small).JPG
Views:	221
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	55445  
MJ56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:38 PM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Craigslist, hubby found it, we went and looked at it. We both really liked it but knew it needed work. Haven't looked back, our 1992 American Eagle.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:42 AM   #12
We found our 1991 Lazy Daze on Craig's List only 12 miles from home. We had been looking for about three weeks and went to see 5 others of different brands before this one found us.

We paid $8,000 for her but she's in great shape and everything works. Even had solar and a generator. I put 6 Cooper tires on it and in four months we've already gone out 6 times including all the way to Quartzsite, AZ.

Pretty happy.
Bill Lynch
wblynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #13
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My girlfriends nephew had bought a Bounder 34ft for his son to live in between jobs. He bought it from an older couple who did not use it much. Since then I have found out they were the 3rd owners. It has 67000 miles on it and everything works and looks well taken care of. Being as it has set for a long time it needs tires and a tune-up, but for $3000 I thought that even if I parted it out I would make more than my money back. I'm going to snowbird next year and save my body from the pain of winter weather.
Of the people, by the people, for the people!
1985 Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #14
Originally Posted by MJ56 View Post
I Traded a 70's era 12 x 60 mobile home for a 1987 Barth 34 ft class A, 454, tag axle. ... The Barth is up for sale at $10K obo...
Man I love that Barth. If we didn't just buy an RV in October, I would be all over this one! Lucky person who gets it.

Bill Lynch
wblynch is offline   Reply With Quote