Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:26 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenvb View Post
invest in a code reader..dont be sticking pins in the plug. i am retired GM mechanic, have replaced many computors due to people watching those videos. scanners are not expensive anymore.
Understood Ken, honestly I have been checking codes this old fasioned way for years with nary a problem, but I suppose there is a first time. Funny thin is in this particular case I could not get the light to come back on, and further unfortunatly I have a habit of hitting the battery mains, which killed the power to the cpu and wiped the code from memory, so all I got was a 12 code which is normal. I was hopeing to see a temp code come up for a sensor, but like I said no-go.
I will take your advice though as I need to get a code reader for my Firebird TA which takes the OBD-2 reader, and I'm hopeing its backwards compatible.

Tony

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 01:44 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
1500 hundred!

We're you wearing your mask in case someone calls the cops?

great price?
Yep, and I was even carring my side arm that day . Truth is Tony about 950 of that is just labor, but to save this 60 year old bod, its worth ever penny.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #45

A friend has a 93 and was quoted 8 hours each way for pull and replace.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:51 AM   #46

UPDATE: 8/31/16... Well there is an update to all this and a price increase. I got a call the other day from Charles at the repair shop. After getting the actual radiator out it was discoverd as being gone. Apperently the thin material that the radiator is made of turns into something like cardboard and literally crumbles in your hands. This is what happened to ours. So no chanch of an overhaul but a new one entierly. Also our options changed slightly and the price went up nearly 500 dollars to get the best radiator we could get in there. I also requested that the pump be replaced as well just so I know its been done. So now we have a bill of 2052 dollars awaiting us. At least if and when I sell this MH I can assure the next owner that the entire cooling system has been replaced, a cutosy that the PO did not afford me

Tony & Kay[/QUOTE]
Old 08-31-2016, 01:01 PM   #47

Just think of the peace of mind you just bought yourself!

Knowing the entire cooling system is in tip-top shape is worth every penny in my book. I just had the bearing on the water pump in my 454 Suburban seize this summer without any warning. I would hate to be in the same situation and stuck somewhere with my motor home.
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
Just think of the peace of mind you just bought yourself!

Knowing the entire cooling system is in tip-top shape is worth every penny in my book. I just had the bearing on the water pump in my 454 Suburban seize this summer without any warning. I would hate to be in the same situation and stuck somewhere with my motor home.

Perhaps your right Eric, there is peace of mind knowing that all's well up front.
Its funny I heard a sound today as I was bringing her home, it was a sound I nerver heard before, The Fan Clutch, the roaring sound of a jet engine. It was music to my ears. It got a little warm coming up our hill that we live on about a 700 foot climb, I think it got up to 200, then it dropped right back down. to 190. So my 8900.00 MH has just cost me 2057.00 more, but like you say the peace of mind is well worth it.
The only thing I was not happy about was to get the rad out they had to disconnect the AC compressor, so I have to go and seek a r-12 recharge. I'm going to see if r-134 can go into a 1992 compressor. I have an 1994 Firebird and it runs stock r-134., if thats the case I can recharge it myself.

Well this brings this thread to a close on the cooling system. If anyone wants to jump in on the r-134 ? feel free, in the mean time I have other things to fix in the next few days before we make our trip to SoCal. Thanks so much everyone for all the help and suggestions that this post took up, you all stuck with it, you guys rock!

Hers a pic of the old core
Old 09-02-2016, 02:00 AM   #49

Wow! That is one clogged radiator! No wonder it overheated.

The R12 compressor will handle R134a, but the hoses wont. You will need to replace all of the hoses. If you want to fill it yourself, I recommend a propane/butane mix such as Freeze-12. I filled my Suburban with it after the last compressor died and it's been blowing cold for years. It's a direct replacement for R12. You just need to make sure you get the right amount of oil in the system. Harbor Freight sells a decent set of hoses for charging the system.

Edit: I filled the Suburban with Enviro-Safe and have been using it for a while, I used Freeze-12 back when I lived in the States.

The propane/butane mix is both more environmentally friendlier and has a higher ignition point than the R12 or r134a that is normally in the system. And it's cheaper. I've done quite a few cars with it and not had any problems.

The other option is to have a certified mechanic refill it with R-12.

DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote