Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #1

Where is the diagnostic connector on an '88 Southwind

On this recently purchased motorhome the check engine light is on and it almost stalls under even light acceleration. Idles and starts fine though. Where would the connector be? It's Chevy p30.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #2

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome to the forum, glad you found us. Post pictures, ask questions and answer the ones you can

Down low by the steering column, little plastic cover over it, otherwise right up under the dash on drivers left knee
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #3

OK thanks, I check.

Also it's got like a hula skirt under the back bumper. Is that for grounding static electricity? Can I remove it? Looks a bit ugly to me.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
KIX

The "hula skirt" is for reducing wet road water misting when driving. Ever followed a semi truck in the rain?
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #5

A semi has the rear tires right at the back of the trailer. Here they are 10 feet under. Plus there are mud flaps. I can see if I was towing something it may reduce rock chips.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #6

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
They could also be old fashion brush guard to prevent rocks from damaging tow vehicle or vehicles behind the rig.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
A semi has the rear tires right at the back of the trailer. Here they are 10 feet under. Plus there are mud flaps. I can see if I was towing something it may reduce rock chips.
I didn't say that it worked or that you need it but that was the original intent of the grass skirts. UPS semi truck vehicles used them (maybe they don't anymore). No, it's not for "grounding static electricity?"
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
On this recently purchased motorhome the check engine light is on and it almost stalls under even light acceleration. Idles and starts fine though. Where would the connector be? It's Chevy p30.
A chassis that old may not have a connector. If it does, it will likely be an ALDL and not an OBD connector. ALDL was intended for assembly line use only, and required you to hook certain pins together and count the number of blinks of the "check engine" light. To make it even more confusing, the pattern of blinks means different things for different models. It's not very user friendly.

It might be quicker and a whole lot easier to have a good mechanic diagnose it based on the symptoms, then reset the light.

JP
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #9

In 88 you should still have a carburator plus a H5D A.I.R system. The Check Engine Light (CEL) at that point was related to the A.I.R system. They did not move to OBD1 until they started EFI. Download the Chevy P30 Service manual and go to pdf page 197 for a description and troubleshooting of the H5D A.I.R. system
http://www.bdub.net/manuals/P30/P30.pdf

Dave
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #10

Yes it has a carb and A.I.R. Any thoughts on just removing the air pump and hoses and pluging the ports?
Old 07-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #11

Taking off the AI system and plugging the ports may not help. A friend who worked for Ford in the late 80's said that the AI system needed more unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust manifolds to work properly, so the carbs were deliberately jetted richer than normal to provide it. He reckoned all the US manufacturers had to do it on their big engines, to avoid the expense of converting to EFI. I've never heard anyone confirm or deny that story, but the outrageously high manifold temps and the poor gas mileage tend to confirm it.

Certainly, on our old Ford 460, I took all that crap off and the only visible difference was more black smoke when you put your foot down. I didn't have a smog test issue, as it's not required in the area where we live. I couldn't sell the rig to anyone who did live in a smog test zone, but managed to unload it to someone not too far away.

Had we kept it, I was considering getting a carb off an early 70's 429 or 460, whoch weren't set too rich.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #12

i'm the proud owner of a 1985 midas that had the a i r on it i removed all the plumbing,pump etc. retimed the engine, tuned the carb and simplified the vacuum lines to just the basics it runs out much better, will cruise 70 all day long towing our car. will it pass smog i doubt it . but when i bought it 55 to 60 was max and it barely pulled the hills so i took it back to older specs and it runs fine fuel mileage averages 7 with the dash air on and towing about 8 max not towing so i can deal with that.
if you can get by with this where live it will make it run better and smoother but you will need to tune it accordingly to get the benefits.

happy travels
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
southwind