Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:03 PM   #15

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
X2[Nice coach]

I will 2nd that. Very nice

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2016, 09:03 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I guess Dennis 45 and I think alike. I started out this last trip with a spare in the forward crossover (passthru) bay and when we needed it we found that it wasn't the same size as the ones mounted on the rig. So somewhere in Cottonwood AZ is where our spare is sitting and the rim is taking up way less space in said bay. When we need to get a tire problem sorted out I will call AAA and tell them to send a truck with the required tire to our rescue.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I guess Dennis 45 and I think alike. I started out this last trip with a spare in the forward crossover (passthru) bay and when we needed it we found that it wasn't the same size as the ones mounted on the rig. So somewhere in Cottonwood AZ is where our spare is sitting and the rim is taking up way less space in said bay. When we need to get a tire problem sorted out I will call AAA and tell them to send a truck with the required tire to our rescue.
Oh yeh, and I forgot to mention space for the beer.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:06 PM   #18

Quote:
X2[Nice coach]
Holy moly .that is a beautiful motorhome.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #19

Quote:
X2[Nice coach]
Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
Nice vintage coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkedout View Post
I will 2nd that. Very nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker art View Post
Holy moly .that is a beautiful motorhome.
Thanks guys!
Old 05-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #20

I also have the 19.5 tires. I also have the same setup where the spare sets on an elevated step in the back. My original tires were a 19.5 x 8R. I could manhandle the 8R with not much problem. The new tires I got a couple of years ago are the lower profile 70 series. Boy they are probably 30 lbs heavier. I had to use a piece of wood ( ramp ) to slide the new spare onto the stepup. I have to really play around in order to get a tire onto the lug nuts. If your afraid that you can't handle that spare at least carry an unmounted tire in the back so if you call road service you won't have to pay an exorbitant price from the road service people. One thing about the old 8R's I had they rode a lot tougher the new lower profile tires
Old 05-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
KSagal

Check under the rear of your Fleetwood. Fleetwood had a lift system on many of their earlier Motorhomes for spare tire storage. My first MH was a 96 Pace Arrow, and same as you, the spare was in the luggage area. After a while I discovered the winch arrangement in the rear with a crank in the right rear luggage compartment, worked very nicely.

Having a spare is personal choice, go with your comfort level. It is much easier and quicker and often cheaper to have road service change the tire and you are on your way. Personally I always carry a spare and the equipment to do the job, but that's my personal choice.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:27 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-in-Mich View Post
If your afraid that you can't handle that spare at least carry an unmounted tire in the back so if you call road service you won't have to pay an exorbitant price from the road service people.
I mentioned I had to buy 2 tires when we found out the front right was shot because of separation and the mounted spare was useless because it was a wrong size to what all the others were. I thought i got a heck of a deal getting two for the price of one here in BC.
Everything is relative, n'est ce pas?
Old 05-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #23

Our spare is mounted much like the one on the Travco, but higher. After wrestling with the front tires/wheels while checking brakes and re-packing the wheel bearings I decided I didn't need another hernia getting that spare down and back in place. My mind is currently working on a small, easily storable, crane that would slip over the bumper or attach to a mount. As soon as my mind works out the details, I plan to fabricate it.

Like others, I'd rather be going some place than sitting along the road waiting for help, so my choice is to change the tire myself.

I have a Navy friend and his wife from SC who rides a Goldwing towing a trailer to visit us in OR, and others along the way. A few years ago he had a flat on his bike in the middle of the NV desert. He had AAA, but with the time it took a tow truck to get there, plus sourcing and mounting the tire, they didn't get started again until sometime the next day.

I think it is "whatever works best for you".

Would the Travco look better with a cover on the spare?? I think ours does, and it also provides UV protection.

Steve
Old 05-06-2016, 02:02 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Our local (Vancouver Island) RV Dealer Arbutus RV will give you a tire cover but it contains their advertising listing the five Island locations. Maybe you could find a free one at a dealer near you.

http://www.usedpqb.com/classified-ad...ment-_19099746
Old 05-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #25

My Rv came with a spare so I didn't make the decision to carry one. I have Good Sam roadside so I figured if I ever had a problem I would let them change the tire for me. Well last summer on my way to Myrtle beach I blew an outside rear tire on I95. My wife called the road side assistance as I got the spare out. Good Sam said it would be 3 hrs till someone could get to us. I thought this was ridiculous! There we sat along side the road teetering side to side as the traffic went by. After about 10 mins I thought I will try to change the tire myself. I did not have a jack so I used the levelers to get the wheel off the ground. After a couple good grunts I got the tire off. Took me around 20 minutes beginning to end and off we went again. So to those saying their tire is on the rack for the mechanic to bring with... I don't want to wait 3hrs. And to answer the OP's question my spare is under the bed. I find its a pain to keep anything else under there anyway so its a good spot for the spare.