Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2016, 07:16 PM   #1

Where is your spare tire?

I bought a new-to-me 1988 Fleetwood Southwind class A Motor Home last year.

I have gone camping with it, and while the tires look good, and have tread and no visible sidewall issues, I am pretty sure they are several years old, and I am looking at changing them out this year.

My spare wheel is in a bay, on a raised platform in one of the pass thru bays.

So, I have a large bay on either side, and a smaller pass thru bay between. The spare wheel is there, several feet in from either side. I am embarrassed to say I have not yet tried to remove it from that perch.

I know it is heavy. I also know that I can and will have to empty one of the bays, and slide the wheel toward me, and it will likely fall into the bay, as I drag it out of the MH. At some point, I will continue to drag it out of the bay, and then roll it to whatever location I will need...

Since I am considering replacing the tires because of age alone, I am wondering and presuming that I should also replace the spare, as it is surely (I have not checked) as old as what is on the ground, and likely very, very old.

I admit I have not yet tried to muscle this wheel around. I may find it easier to do than I guess, but once out, I am wondering if I should, or could come up with a better storage location.

I am considering a rear bumper mount of some sort. If I do this, can I arrange for some ramps to roll it up to the mount, or down from it? Will I have to lift it up that high? Maybe I can find a fold down mount?

I do not know. What are my options? These 19.5 inch wheels are bound to be pretty heavy.

What do you do?
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 07:36 PM   #2
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I bought a new-to-me 1988 Fleetwood Southwind class A Motor Home last year.

I have gone camping with it, and while the tires look good, and have tread and no visible sidewall issues, I am pretty sure they are several years old, and I am looking at changing them out this year.

My spare wheel is in a bay, on a raised platform in one of the pass thru bays.

So, I have a large bay on either side, and a smaller pass thru bay between. The spare wheel is there, several feet in from either side. I am embarrassed to say I have not yet tried to remove it from that perch.

I know it is heavy. I also know that I can and will have to empty one of the bays, and slide the wheel toward me, and it will likely fall into the bay, as I drag it out of the MH. At some point, I will continue to drag it out of the bay, and then roll it to whatever location I will need...

Since I am considering replacing the tires because of age alone, I am wondering and presuming that I should also replace the spare, as it is surely (I have not checked) as old as what is on the ground, and likely very, very old.

I admit I have not yet tried to muscle this wheel around. I may find it easier to do than I guess, but once out, I am wondering if I should, or could come up with a better storage location.

I am considering a rear bumper mount of some sort. If I do this, can I arrange for some ramps to roll it up to the mount, or down from it? Will I have to lift it up that high? Maybe I can find a fold down mount?

I do not know. What are my options? These 19.5 inch wheels are bound to be pretty heavy.

What do you do?
First step is to date the tires.

Date Codes are stamped on the side of the tires..

This link should help.

Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a rear hitch mount that is available for a spare tire which allows you to still use the hitch and I believe lowers the tire as well. Search RV rear hitch tire mount. I don't remember who makes it. It may what you want. Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:07 AM   #4

Mine hangs on the rear bumper.
I carry a 30 ton bottle jack and all tire tools necessary to rotate my own tires or do brake work, etc. I would suggest practice changing a tire to make sure have the ability if so desired.

77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:39 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
I carry a 30 ton bottle jack and all tire tools necessary to rotate my own tires or do brake work, etc. I would suggest practice changing a tire to make sure have the ability if so desired.

X2[Nice coach]
US Navy Vet.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:55 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The hitch tire carrier I mentioned is made by Roadmaster.
US Navy Vet.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:09 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That spare really takes away the looks of that cool old coach.

If it were mine, I'd either stow it out of site, or just not carry one, like 90% of us do!
Old 04-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post

If it were mine, I'd either stow it out of site, or just not carry one, like 90% of us do!
I agree... it does take away from the rear "look" of my Travco. I removed the spare tire and carrier for awhile but I drive this thing all over and decided to go with function over looks.
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:09 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My spare is on the roadside repair truck.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post

Maybe I am asking the wrong question. How many among us do not carry a spare at all? It did not occur to me not to have one, but it does make sense that it may be over kill. I do have both AAA and Good Sam.

I had figured that if I had a problem, I might call for help to install the tire.

If I don't carry one, am I not exposing myself to a potentially VERY expensive tire purchase down the road?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
The hitch tire carrier I mentioned is made by Roadmaster.
This looks like exactly what I was thinking of. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:51 PM   #12

Where is my spare tire?
Good question. Mine is on the shelf in the tire shop. If, I need it, I will have the roadside repair guy pick it up and bring it along. In the meantime, I will make sure my tires are not out of date, properly loaded and inflated and instead of taking up space for an expensive, out dated spare tire, I'll fill that space with my fishing gear and golf clubs.

Well, you asked.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:55 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Where is your spare tire?

Lots of threads here regarding whether to tote along a spare tire, findable by the search feature. Many folks in both camps. I carry a spare and let Coach Net change it. Thus way I don't pay a high price or long wait for a tire.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #14

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post

Nice vintage coach
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote