Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammycardwel
just figured out how too mess u new at this/what do u think sbout no power on front with gen running and plugged into elect box on side of tra.
It doesn't matter whether it is on generator power or shore, you can only use one ac at a time. Did you find the selector switch that I mentioned?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #72

I just changed over my 22 year-old Magnatek 6335 to a PD 9260. It was a little daunting because the directions didn't quite match, but once I realized the 110 side had two wires and the DC side had two wires it was "duh" a no brainer. Power to the converter, power to the dc side, jumper cable to combine the split DC fuses and You're done!

My (new) radio always had a buzz and the converter always hummed. Not anymore. Dead quiet. Solid state and 60% larger capacity! Now to test the shore power changer-over!

PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #73

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I believe the problem is the 30 amp breaker ON THE GENERATOR

When you have shore power hooked up AND run the generator at the same time- The GENERATOR takes over.

Understand?

Check the 2 little breakers on the generator - one should be a 30 amp, which runs the front AC and the rest of the electrical circuits, and the other 20 amp, which runs the rear AC.

If the 30 amp breaker is OFF or broken, you will not get power from the generator to the front AC and other circuits. Remember, if the generator is running, it will take over from the shore power.

Got it? Now, go check those 2 little breakers on the side of the generator.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief
When you have shore power hooked up AND run the generator at the same time- The GENERATOR takes over.
Senior Chief, I am almost positive that Tammycardwel's motor home does not have a automatic transfer switch. My in-laws have the exact same motor home. You have to plug the power cord that you would use for the shore power into an outlet inside the cord storage compartment. That outlet supplies the voltage from the generator. If the motor home has the original generator then it is a 4k watt Onan or Kohler depending on the upgrade options when originally purchased. If that is the case then the generator can not run both units at the same.

But, like you and I have pointed out. There is a selector switch that will allow you to select which AC unit you want to use. In my in-laws motor home that switch is directly below the refrigerator and to the left of the converter/ power distribution box. I posted pictures of it in one of my previous posts on this thread.

Maybe you and/ or I don not understand the real problem or maybe Tammycardwel is not reading our responses to the questions??????? From my interpretation I believe that they don not know where the selector switch is or why it is needed.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #75

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
Senior Chief, I am almost positive that Tammycardwel's motor home does not have a automatic transfer switch. My in-laws have the exact same motor home. You have to plug the power cord that you would use for the shore power into an outlet inside the cord storage compartment. That outlet supplies the voltage from the generator. If the motor home has the original generator then it is a 4k watt Onan or Kohler depending on the upgrade options when originally purchased. If that is the case then the generator can not run both units at the same.

But, like you and I have pointed out. There is a selector switch that will allow you to select which AC unit you want to use. In my in-laws motor home that switch is directly below the refrigerator and to the left of the converter/ power distribution box. I posted pictures of it in one of my previous posts on this thread.

Maybe you and/ or I don not understand the real problem or maybe Tammycardwel is not reading our responses to the questions??????? From my interpretation I believe that they don not know where the selector switch is or why it is needed.
You're probably correct and its very possible the problem is the selector switch- she never responded to that question. Its hard to tell what the poster is actually saying or describing.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief

You're probably correct and its very possible the problem is the selector switch- she never responded to that question. Its hard to tell what the poster is actually saying or describing.
Besides the comments I have posted, I also sent a couple PM's with no response.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #77

'88 TravelMaster

Recently acquired my '88 TravelMaster class C -- 'have only done performance mods, so far. (see my related post: ) 85 coachman small block chevy

Like the original poster of this thread -- I found that adding a vacuum guage is a big help. One of the best "bang-for-my-buck" mods was having a local muffler shop fabricate an inexpensive balance pipe for my dual exhaust -- was pleasantly surprised to get up to an additional 5-6 inches of manifold vacuum!

BTW: If you need exhaust work, and are anywhere near Roanoke, VA -- I highly recommend Perfection Muffler ( Perfection Muffler - Home - Roanoke, VA ).
Old 07-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #78

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc4usa View Post
Recently acquired my '88 TravelMaster class C -- 'have only done performance mods, so far. (see my related post: ) 85 coachman small block chevy

Like the original poster of this thread -- I found that adding a vacuum guage is a big help. One of the best "bang-for-my-buck" mods was having a local muffler shop fabricate an inexpensive balance pipe for my dual exhaust -- was pleasantly surprised to get up to an additional 5-6 inches of manifold vacuum!

This is really interesting- I just went to the Flowmaster site (maker of our own fairly new exhaust system), and they claimed more torque in the low-mid range as well as a "mellower" tone to the muffler (not my biggest priority!)

Do you mind my asking what yours cost to install?

Old 07-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #79

I got the simplest form of a balance pipe; i.e.: an "H" pipe. The shop I went to fabricated it on site and welded it (not clamped) to my existing pipes just behind the headers. Parts & labor = $65.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Yeah, ALL of the wall paper (ceiling & walls) was removed. The walls were cover with faux stucco wall paper that looks just like a textured wall in a house. The ceiling was recovered using a white vinyl and stain oak strips to cover the seams.

We got the furniture from: RV Furniture,Boat Furniture,Van Seats,SUV Truck Seats,Van Tops
We love the furniture, BUT they're customer service is horrible! It took about six month before they finally got our order correct.
Winnebeater, you may be the one I am looking for. I am repairing my ceiling, and I recall seeing some great pictures of a white ceiling with oak strips. Can you post those for me? I cannot use facebook. Thanks
Old 11-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by knugent View Post
Winnebeater, you may be the one I am looking for. I am repairing my ceiling, and I recall seeing some great pictures of a white ceiling with oak strips. Can you post those for me? I cannot use facebook. Thanks
knugent, here is a link to the photos on the IRV2 website:

Winnebeater Gallery - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery

The photos that are posted here only have the photos taken after the remodel. If you want to see the before and after you will have to use the Facebook link, which is a PUBLIC link and available to anyone that wants to look at them regardless if they are a member of Facebook or not. If you have any questions about what we did or how we did something feel free to send me a PM. I would be happy to share the knowledge that we gained by doing the work we did. When you go to the link I posted above, there is also a album there of my in-laws motor home that my wife and I helped remodel. Not as many detailed photos, but you may find that helpful as well.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:02 AM   #82

Vintage RV Owners Club
Aw man ya'll are killing me... I just got my 1982 Tiffin Allegro last Sunday and was doing some minor upgrades....

Now I see all this stuff and my work load has tripled... I have gotten so many good ideas from this thread...

Thanks a ton.... But my wallet HATES YOU ALL
Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #83

Quote:
Yes, here's a public link to an album I have posted on my Facebook page: Motorhome Before and After | Facebook

Here's another link of the nav unit and drop down LCD tv that I installed: Entertainment System Install | Facebook
where did you et the drop down system from for the LCD TV?

love the idea of putting it over the couch like that.

DC
Old 12-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #84

I just used roller bearing drawer slides and it currently has to be lowered and lifted manually. Once pushed up into the cabinet it is held in place with a pin. I have a 12vdc actuator that a guy gave me and I am about 75% complete on the mechanism to make it automated. I just haven't had the time to finish it.

Tags
vintage