Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #85

Once I have restored our coaches; I will hopefully like each and everyone mod I did and not have a one that I didn’t like. (Grin) Fingers crossed.

OH, so many projects, and so little time, when it comes to restoring an old coach. ggg

The mods I have done so far are nowhere near as exciting or as big as everyone else’s.

But with coaches as old as ours the wiring could be updated and every little thing helps. The kinds of mods I did, for now, not only make it easier to see the coach at night it also provides a little more time to get the wiring mods done.. I replaced all the marker, front turn signal and reverse lights with new LED ones.

I wanted to post some night pictures of UV256 when I first installed the LED lights. So far I can not find them. Once I do I'll post them. Until then, for those of you who have not seen any our vintage coaches yet; this is what they look like and this one is Ultra Van #256.

Tony

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:28 AM   #86

WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
Yes, here's a public link to an album I have posted on my Facebook page: Motorhome Before and After | Facebook

Here's another link of the nav unit and drop down LCD tv that I installed: Entertainment System Install | Facebook
Your MODs look Awesome!!! Do you have the plans for the dog box? I need to replace mine and really like what you have done to yours....

Old 01-31-2013, 10:27 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlou View Post

Your MODs look Awesome!!! Do you have the plans for the dog box? I need to replace mine and really like what you have done to yours....
Did you mean the dog house/ engine cover? If so, I used the old carpet for a rough template and the rest is more of an art than a science. As for the cup holders; once again I used the old broken one for a template and then made jigs to router cut new pieces. The granite inlays were improvised. I hope I answered your questions, but if not please let me know I would be happy to help in any way I can.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #88

Yes, the engine cover. My home away from home is a 1990 Mallard. The dog house is original and becoming soft. I am concerned that one of the kid’s feet will go right through it at some point. Yours looks like you can maneuver with in the cockpit area much easier and safer. Did you take pics when building it? How do you sound proof it?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #89

Quote:
Yes, the engine cover. My home away from home is a 1990 Mallard. The dog house is original and becoming soft. I am concerned that one of the kid’s feet will go right through it at some point. Yours looks like you can maneuver with in the cockpit area much easier and safer. Did you take pics when building it? How do you sound proof it?
I didn't rebuild the whole engine cover. I just removed the old carpet and installed new carpet, structurally ours was strong. I did add some sound deadening material which it held up with some aluminum flat bar. Then I made a new cup holder with some granite inlays to match the granite we installed through out the rest of the motor home. As for photos I didn't take step by step photos because I never thought anyone would be asking me for advice on how to do any of the work. Unfortunately I didn't find IRV2 until I was almost done with our remodel, although I wish I had found this website before I started. Can you articulate what you mean when you state that your engine cover feels soft? Mine has a lot of flex to it, but is still structurally sound. I avoid putting too much weight on it, but on occasion I have stood directly on it with all my weight (175lbs) and it has held up. What material is your engine cover made out of?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #90

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My doghouse is pretty thick fiberglass, and like Winnebeater's, it's still strong enough to support my weight (which is a "little" more than Winnebeater's). Not sure how that information helps, but I was bored at work so I thought I'd share. Now...back to your regular thread viewing. Nothing to see here.....
Old 02-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #91

My dog house is made of…..it seems like vacuum sealed Styrofoam and is beginning to crack and feels mushy. It is not made of wood or fiberglass.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #92

Quote:
My dog house is made of…..it seems like vacuum sealed Styrofoam and is beginning to crack and feels mushy. It is not made of wood or fiberglass.
If you are pretty handy you could make a mold of your current engine cover, make a fiberglass one to replace it. Do you have any photos of your engine cover that you can post?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #93

Installing 1156 warm white LEDs, installing a vauum gauge as the OP mentioned (one marketed as an mpg gauge), putting in a modern in-dash stereo with an mp3 cd player and audio input. I swapped the dog house cover for a newer one with a fold out table, better cup holders and lots of storage.

I also put in a 3 point seat belt for the driver's side in place of the original lap-only belts. I have yet to do the passenger side. Originally i wasn't going to but now I figure I should just in case I ever need to carry a passenger. Sure, it has a lap belt which is better than nothing but I'd just as soon put in another proper 3 point seat belt from a junk yard van.

I also replaced the old outdated Thetford sewer outlet with a modern Valterra one.

But over all I have kept the van pretty true to factory. A previous owner already replaced the seats with newer ones due to the originals being cracked up old vinyl. Now it has cloth ones from what looks like an early 90s van.

Tags
vintage