Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgnorris View Post
I would doubt that the tank would rust thru, the metal is nearly a half inch thick. It's more likely one of the valves has a bad seal.
I'll bet it's not even 1/4" thick.

....but I agree, my money is on a bad valve seal.

It is possible the packing is loose around the main shutoff valve. You can tighten this (not white knuckle tight, but firm) with a wrench.

There will be a larger hex where the valve body can be torqued into the tank. To tighten the packing, torque in the smaller hex just above it (closer to the gray handle). Mine had a very faint amount of LPG escape only when I opened or closed the valve.

Again, a pro can assist, and may do it for free when you're getting the tank checked.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
I'll bet it's not even 1/4" thick.
....but I agree, my money is on a bad valve seal.

It is possible the packing is loose around the main shutoff valve. You can tighten this (not white knuckle tight, but firm) with a wrench.

There will be a larger hex where the valve body can be torqued into the tank. To tighten the packing, torque in the smaller hex just above it (closer to the gray handle). Mine had a very faint amount of LPG escape only when I opened or closed the valve.

Again, a pro can assist, and may do it for free when you're getting the tank checked.
MT4Runner

if the packing is worn, (or the packing nut is loose), some propane will leak out... but ONLY while the valve is being opened and/or being closed.

However, unless the ASME propane valve itself, (aka; the main shut off valve), is BAD... NO propane will leak out of the tank through the stem packing when that valve is "fully open".... or "fully closed".

Mel
'96 Safari

Old 04-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #17

A little late to the party But, I haven't seen anyone mention the small square head relief valve with the red round ring around it. They open it when filling the tank to let air escape closing it when a good stream of gas vapor exits. I had a service tech not completely tighten mine when filling my tank once and kept smelling propane until I checked and tightened it,
Old 04-11-2015, 08:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpony56hd View Post
A little late to the party But, I haven't seen anyone mention the small square head relief valve with the red round ring around it. They open it when filling the tank to let air escape closing it when a good stream of gas vapor exits. I had a service tech not completely tighten mine when filling my tank once and kept smelling propane until I checked and tightened it,
Jpony56hd

I always check the tightness of the small square head relief valve after every propane fill.
I often find that the LP pump jockey did not tighten it enough prevent it from leaking.

BTW, some "pump jockeys" don't bother to use that relief valve and rely on their automatic shut off to determine when my 35 gal tank has the 28 gal it can safely hold.
That always results in a partially filled tank... (but you can't tell a pump jockey anything.... becuse they already know everything).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-11-2015, 09:40 PM   #19

My bet is on the rectangular regulator. I had one identical to it on my MH. There is a tiny hole in the back of it that is a relief. If the regulator is going bad, and given its age, its a good bet that it is, gas will seep out of that tiny hole. I had to replace mine but the rectangular ones aren't available anymore. The new type works well, though.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:13 AM   #20

Tank thickness & vent

A DOT tank,which is and has been the standard for over 30 years, is much thicker than a standard LP cylinder. Much more than 1/4" thick.

The "fill vent" is an 80% liquid level port. This vent discharges LP vapor until the LP liquid level is reached. It will then discharge liquid LP indicating
that the tank is filled to its maximum safe level, regardless of what the gauge reads! I worked in the LP business for many years, do not attempt any repairs yourself! I have seen the results of improper repairs, and they can be CATOSTROPHIC!
Old 04-12-2015, 09:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgnorris View Post
A DOT tank, which is and has been the standard for over 30 years, is much thicker than a standard LP cylinder. Much more than 1/4" thick.
The "fill vent" is an 80% liquid level port. This vent discharges LP vapor until the LP liquid level is reached. It will then discharge liquid LP indicating that the tank is filled to its maximum safe level, regardless of what the gauge reads!
I worked in the LP business for many years, do not attempt any repairs yourself!
I have seen the results of improper repairs, and they can be CATOSTROPHIC!
mgnorris
I agree that the "fill vent" is an 80% liquid level port. which discharges LP vapor until the LP liquid level is reached.
Sadly not all "propane pump jockeys" know that and they rely on the often inaccurate/unreliable tank gauge when filling motorhome LP tanks.

BTW, LP tanks permanently mounted on Motorhomes are not D.O.T. tanks they are ASME tanks....DOT tanks are the portable bottles as used with BBQ grills and on Travel trailers and 5th wheels.
See: Cylinders vs. Tanks | Eagle Propane Sales

Mel S
'96 Safari
Old 04-12-2015, 09:12 AM   #22

1/4 inch steel plate weighs about 20 lbs per square foot.

Nope, propane tanks aren't 1/4 in thick.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:52 AM   #23

AS ME tanks are thick. Much thicker than DOT bbq tanks (which I doubt are even 1/16" thick), but MH tanks are not over 0.25" thick. They're not even close.

Here's one I found that is 0.117", which is just shy of 1/8" thick, but with good heat treating, super tough:

250 and 500 gal bulk tanks are close to 0.25":

Tags
parts, tank