RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:42 AM   #1

Who's been refused access to a campground?

OK the curiosity is killing me! Ive read (not here) about campgrounds that refuse folks who have a unit thats older than 10 years. Although legal if the campground is privately owned, I find this disturbing. We have sunk a lot of time and $$$ in our 93 Holiday Rambler. The thought of being denied access to a campground really upsets my wife and I. Anyone out there experienced this?
Harris

rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2018, 04:50 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
while never turned down, we have been asked, just recently, how old our coach was when making a reservation.............i give them a "floating date"...........our coach is an 07, in very good shape...........this year, i will tell them it is a 2009, next year, it becomes a 2010...............i don't think they are gonna crawl under it to look for a serial number to verify how old.......in your case, i might try the statement "ours is a retro to the late 90's, but actually custom built a couple of years ago".............might work, especially if in pristine condition........kind of like the new chevy pickups that look like early 80's trucks............worse case, they turn you away................just make sure you have a plan b............................

jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:53 AM   #3

You asked........

I think the general consensus is..... Too bad. Get over it. Why waste your time or energy caring about things you can't control?

okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:06 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I was just asked for photo's for a long stay at a Resort, called me back and said my Coach sure looks wonderful for being 19 yrs old! Your are very welcome to come in.......!!
Old 09-07-2018, 05:23 AM   #5

Private campgrounds can and do set their own rules and policies. Higher end "resort" type campgrounds sell lots for high $$$, and the few spots they may have for "travelers", well, they want to make sure that you'll "fit in".
But, as poster above stated, not worth your time to fret over it. Plenty of other campgrounds (majority) will welcome you.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been asked twice for a picture when I told a CG that it was over 10 yrs old. With the picture they welcomed us.

The worry is that someone with an old rig that is in bad condition will come in and maybe break down and be a problem to remove. We all have seen those rigs that are in really bad condition and there are owner's who don't care how bad their rig is. This is why they have the rule so they can keep these people out.

Take a picture of your rig and offer to send it. It has worked for us. If we offer they are pretty sure that the rig is in good condition.

If they don't want to let us in due to age alone then we move on. Not concerned about it. There are plenty of CG's.
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:38 AM   #7

I've been asked how it looks a couple of times, as in no duct tape, no blue tarps, missing doors etc.

Only one time was I turned down flat. It was at a CG in south Indiana just across the river from Louisville. They ruled nothing over 10 years at all.

The CG in questions lies in the crotch between interstates, certainly isn't a resort of any kind. In a photo of the CG they use on their website is the exact same make, model and year as my 1993 HR. Even the same color and stripes. Identical.

Go figure.

The rule is usually used to exclude really ratty units and decent ones can come in.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #8

Who's been refused access to a campground?

2002 American Eagle: I was turned down for a stay at Coyote Valley in Morgan Hill, CA just South of San Jose. They have a 10 year rule. I did stay there about 3 years ago without issue, but this time even with a picture they would not pet me in. After a phone call they said that maybe if I got a certified electrical inspection that the owner might let me stay. What?

I booked a month at another park a few miles away. This is the first and only time I have been turned away from an age restricted park.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0923.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	218001
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #9

Iíve been toying with the idea of purchasing an existing RV park and have been mulling over this issue from an owners standpoint. I get where they are coming from. As an owner I wouldnít want my clients to not come back or leave a bad review because they didnít care for the beat up campers. I am interested in a campground not a resort and would expect to see older campers that might be a little rough. But how would I head off the ones held together with plywood and the Alaskan state flag. Although what are the odds of them wanting to pay for a site in the first place.

Iím also looking into having the option for boondocking spots for those that just need a place to park for the night.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
.... But how would I head off the ones held together with plywood and the Alaskan state flag. Although what are the odds of them wanting to pay for a site in the first place.

I’m also looking into having the option for boondocking spots for those that just need a place to park for the night.
I would say the two best ways to avoid having the people living in their (rough looking) RV's are;
1. Have a ten year limit.
2. Charge more than the other parks in the area.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
I would say the two best ways to avoid having the people living in their (rough looking) RV's are;
1. Have a ten year limit.
2. Charge more than the other parks in the area.
I said I donít have a problem with older RVs with faded decals etc. Iím just pointing out that I can see how an owner would want to have the restriction in place.

Iím more about the little guy.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Forky,

If you provide overnight boondocking spots, or just electrical for a smaller camp fee you would be full all the time.

Have a 10 yr rule and then when they call ask them to send a picture. Takes a few minutes and can guarantee you don't have the taped together rigs. I have friends with rigs over 20 yrs old that have been well loved. Mine is a 2004 like yours and it is in good shape and people comment on how it shines.

I love the older rigs but have seen some less than ten yrs old that have NOT been taken care of. I have stayed in CG's with many older rigs that were loved and faded.

Do the boondocking thing and you will be full! Let me know where you are at because I will definitely stop by for this.
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
I said I donít have a problem with older RVs with faded decals etc. Iím just pointing out that I can see how an owner would want to have the restriction in place.

Iím more about the little guy.

The point is that you have to have a limit of some sort to avoid the MH's held together with plywood, tarps, etc.
As others have said; Have a limit and let people send in pics.
I also would think that you would want to make as much money as possible with your investment while still maintaining your integrity.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #14

I would think that if you don't have a rule, in general, then you'll have problems because you let one rig in and not another. Having a line in the sand that, with a picture, you might let some one cross, makes life easier on you.
Oh, and to the OP, I have not been asked for the age of our coach in the places we have tried to stay.

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, fuse