Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #15

Wbonsell, even if you had a new or newer motorhome you could/would have issues with or something needing repair at some point. If you were comfortable enough with the condition of the motorhome to purchase it I would say go for it. Just know that at some point you may have a problem and be ready to deal with it. Now go use and enjoy it.

Mike
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 04:20 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We don't full time, but we live a lot more than 1/2 time in our motor coach. It doesn't matter if your coach is 2 years old or 20 years old, something might go wrong.

Are you going to let that fear stop you from using your coach?

Get out there and enjoy!

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
Our previous MH was a 28' Coronado which we used a bit for camping but also I pulled a 20' enclosed trailer with a race car and it worked fine for what I needed for 4 years. The race car sold early this year and the DW and I began to think about a larger rig for some serious camping. Our really only "must have" was a walk around queen bed. Slides were negotiable. We figured we would upgrade in a couple years and were prepared to pay $40-$50 for something we liked.

Well I found an incredibly refurbished 34' Bounder with only 3375 miles and less that 25 hours on the generator (I know...bad), but honestly I don't think the frig or stove was ever used. I know the tub and shower weren't. All new carpeting, vinyl, window coverings were replaced. Even lamp shades. I did buy 6 new tires. In a nut shell, in better condition than I think I could have found in a much newer MH. We bought it after a thorough inspection for $15K. We have had it out three times and after coming back from a 2 week trip, we began to think about going out FT. My wife is retiring in 2 weeks and we hope to leave the NW by December 1.

I guess my fear, or question, is whether a 20 year old MH regardless of condition can reliably be utilized in a full time manner. We certainly could have spent more money and bought much newer, but it's nice to have money in the bank and a motorhome that did not cost a fortune, yet seems like new. Would be interested in hearing from those who are out there with older motor homes.

Thanks.
We bought our 94 Bounder 32H with Ford chassis in August of 1994. We now have about 202,000 miles. Weakest part has been the transmission, but we do pull an enclosed car trailer about half of the time. No slide outs or awnings, we do not miss either. We have looked at newer ones, but most have slide outs that we don't want. We plan to keep driving the 94'.
stanleysteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleysteam View Post
We bought our 94 Bounder 32H with Ford chassis in August of 1994. We now have about 202,000 miles. Weakest part has been the transmission, but we do pull an enclosed car trailer about half of the time. No slide outs or awnings, we do not miss either. We have looked at newer ones, but most have slide outs that we don't want. We plan to keep driving the 94'.
That's awesome to hear.....we have neither slides nor awning. But we do carry a 10x10 EZ up canopy. And we only have 4850 miles on our Bounder...and that isn't a typo....HA
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:24 PM   #19

If you rig has not had the radiator hoses replaced this should be done before you leave. They can look good on the outside but coming apart on the inside.
I started working for Cummins Diesel in 1969 and retired as a shop foreman in 2007 so have seen the hoses let go at the worst time.
If you plan on being in the southern region when it is hot this puts an additional stress on them.
Hoses and belts are not things I skimp on. Especially on a MH where they are normally hard to get to.
Do enjoy your time on the road and hope we can join you out there.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote