Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #1

Window seals '84 Southwind

It appears that all of the rubber window seals have shrunk leaving a gap. Can I pull the old ones out and replace them? Where can you buy?
Or can I use weatherstripping and caulk?

Thanks in advance
Stampsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can't answer your question, just bumping your question. I would like to know the answer myself

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I had the same problem on my 83 Pace Arrow, so not wanting to spend a lot of money rightly or wrongly I added door and window silicone, to fill in that very small gap. So far so good, hasn't leaked in a while, but I also understood it was only a patch. So only time will tell.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What exactly do you mean by "rubber window seals"?

Do you mean the sealant between the house window frames and the outside of the motor home?

Or do you mean the round rubber seal on the roll-up automotive windows you have on the driver's side window?

The house windows are sealed against the exterior wall with a butyl caulk "tape"; its a relatively simple matter to remove the windows, replace the tape and re-install the windows.

If its the seal around the roll-up windows, that gets tricky to find.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
What exactly do you mean by "rubber window seals"?

Do you mean the sealant between the house window frames and the outside of the motor home?

Or do you mean the round rubber seal on the roll-up automotive windows you have on the driver's side window?

The house windows are sealed against the exterior wall with a butyl caulk "tape"; its a relatively simple matter to remove the windows, replace the tape and re-install the windows.

If its the seal around the roll-up windows, that gets tricky to find.
Its the coach windows, the rubber is on the outside of the motorhome between the glass and the frame.

Thanks for the help
Old 01-25-2012, 04:55 AM   #6

Not sure which seals you mean, but I can usually find molded rubber channels for vintage automobiles through Steele Rubber Products. You might find what you are looking for in their specialty extrusion section.
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
I know what you mean

The glazing seals. Not between the skin of the RV and the window frame. Its on the outside of the glass and between the glass and window frame. I would also want to know this answer.
Lokahi117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The most common sealant is butyl tape. The only one I am aware of that used a gasket is Fleetwood.
Butyl tape can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes.
To reseal the right way the window must be removed, the wall and frame cleaned, apply new tape and reinstall.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
The most common sealant is butyl tape. The only one I am aware of that used a gasket is Fleetwood.
Butyl tape can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes.
To reseal the right way the window must be removed, the wall and frame cleaned, apply new tape and reinstall.
Thanks for the responses, it is a Fleetwood. So remove the window,clean up the frame and wall and re install with butyl tape.....purchased at Home Depot.

Thanks!!
Old 01-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Thanks for the responses, it is a Fleetwood. So remove the window,clean up the frame and wall and re install with butyl tape.....purchased at Home Depot.

Thanks!!
Be sure to watch for any spacers in the frame opening when the window is removed and put them back in the original location.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #11

the rubber around the windows shrink over time.to replace the rubber you need to find the make of windows.to replace the rubber here are some sites.Slide-out gasket material, RV weather seals, Seal, RV gaskets, Trailer seals, window seals or RV Windshields, RV Windows, Shuttle Bus windows, some cost $4 a foot,to do my mh would have cost me about $400.i ended up removing the rubber around the windows,clean the glass of any crap,washed the rubber in warm water to soften them up.replaced the rubber around the window making sure it was in good and tight.where the space was i taped it off with masking tape then filled the space with black outdoor silicone(get the good quality one $8) then smoothed it out with a wet finger.remove masking tape.
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
southwind, window