Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
This is more about the chassis and brakes than it is about the hitch itself. Bolting up a class III or reinforcing a II does not do anything for the chassis and brakes.

Not familiar enough with the Winne design to say for sure, but the Fleetwood coaches of that time period depended on 2" square tubing in the floor for much of their hitch capacity. The frame rail extensions, with all that overhang acting as very long levers, and the fact there is little reinforcing where the extensions meet the real chassis, actually are not capable of carrying any more than the class II rating - if that.

Point being - look at the entire picture, not just the hitch itself. There's much more to it than most are aware of.
I found this modification done to an Airstream 345LE to increase the toad towing ability without changing the tail extension. The steel bars go all the way back to the main frame so the extension doesn't see any increase loading. I'd still put a Class III hitch mainly for the heaver receiver. Definitely something to talk to a certified hitch welder about.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2015, 05:44 PM   #16

OK, I think you have the point. Not sure what you'll find under the pusher, but if you end up going with a 36+ foot more conventional gasser, consider the fact those extensions are very likely going to be MUCH longer than those on the 34' shown in the pick. If you hadn't said differently, I would have guessed that pic was a 26 or maybe 28' class A.

Last, this setup is one of the better I've seen. Many are hand welded by what have to be total amateurs w/no bolts.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
OK, I think you have the point. Not sure what you'll find under the pusher, but if you end up going with a 36+ foot more conventional gasser, consider the fact those extensions are very likely going to be MUCH longer than those on the 34' shown in the pick. If you hadn't said differently, I would have guessed that pic was a 26 or maybe 28' class A.

Last, this setup is one of the better I've seen. Many are hand welded by what have to be total amateurs w/no bolts.
In my case, if I get the Elante, it's a gaser so it looks a lot like the photo at least from what I can see in the Winnebago documents. Getting those connection back to the main chassis I think is the key. The main chassis has a 25K GCVWR so it can handle the toad. If done right there shouldn't be any issues towing up to a 5K toad as long as one keeps the tongue weight under 100 pounds.

Yes the extensions are longer but I'm not sure how long. When I talked to Winnebago they didn't see an issue with the 19K GVWR chassis handling a 5K toad but not a 5K trailer due to it's much higher tongue weight. I think some of the 19K chassis had Class III hitches.

Tags
elandan, winnebago